Elder Scrolls V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Rumors are getting strong about a Skyrim remaster for the PS4, with all the DLCs and mod compatibility.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Rumors are getting strong about a Skyrim remaster for the PS4, with all the DLCs and mod compatibility.

My dad just bought me another copy of Skyrim and Oblivion on a different console. (I used to have PC and PS3 versions of such games. I still have Skyrim on PS3 [which sucked], and PC [which was awesome]).

I love these games too much, even if I never get far in the main quest, lol! I usually play other quests, like Mage's Guild or Morag Tong quests, and a bunch of random side quests, etc. I also travel around the cities...just to buy all sorts of clothes and armor and dresses for my lovely female avatars. XD And magical spellbooks, of course. :)

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever been this excited about anything in my life.

Elder Scrolls

Last edited:

ezekiah

uh... stuff that dreams are made of
Registered
Reaction score
I unfortunately skipped over Skyrim the first time so I can't wait for the remaster.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I unfortunately skipped over Skyrim the first time so I can't wait for the remaster.
I hope you enjoy it, then! :) It's really good!

Have you played the other Elder Scrolls games? Skyrim is more like an improved Oblivion. Oblivion and Skyrim are more modern in terms of combat being more action-based and not "dice-roll" based like Morrowind's more old-fashioned combat.

(Morrowind is also a good game, but it's much more dated, especially in the graphics and combat, and it doesn't have some of the fun stuff from Skyrim or stuff like NPC AI having schedules, etc.)

If you like action games with dungeon crawling and exploration, then I think you may highly enjoy Skyrim. :)

ezekiah

uh... stuff that dreams are made of
Registered
Reaction score
Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time! I played it on the original Xbox. I had Oblivion on PC and played it several hundred hours as well. IIRC the only thing I didn't like about Oblivion was the enemies being scaled to your level. Is Skyrim like that?

Inspie

Tea and cats and tea and cats...
Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim. Oh, Skyrim. I love this game to death. I should play it again.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time! I played it on the original Xbox. I had Oblivion on PC and played it several hundred hours as well. IIRC the only thing I didn't like about Oblivion was the enemies being scaled to your level. Is Skyrim like that?

I haven't played Morrowind yet (I played Skyrim on the Xbox but no longer have the Xbox, so I'll have to get Morrowind for the computer), but if I recall correctly, I believe enemies in Skyrim are scaled to a range around your level as you continue to build your character and get better weapons, etc. However, at level 10, you can stumble across places that have higher level enemies than yourself (like giants, in which case, you better book it out of there before they beat your a**). But I don't think at level 30 you can find very many enemies that are lower level than you unless they're skeevers or spiders, etc.

I highly recommend playing Skyrim. It's a gorgeous game with fantastic music, the gameplay is great, the quests and battles are fun and rewarding... Then again, like I said, I haven't played any of the other ES games, so this encouragement is totally biased. Take it as you will. :)

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim. Oh, Skyrim. I love this game to death. I should play it again.

I haven't played Morrowind yet (I played Skyrim on the Xbox but no longer have the Xbox, so I'll have to get Morrowind for the computer), but if I recall correctly, I believe enemies are scaled to a range around your level as you continue to build your character and get better weapons, etc. However, at level 10, you can stumble across places that have higher level enemies than yourself (like giants, in which case, you better book it out of there before they beat your a**). But I don't think at level 30 you can find very many enemies that are lower level than you unless they're skeevers or spiders, etc.

I highly recommend playing Skyrim. It's a gorgeous game with fantastic music, the gameplay is great, the quests and battles are fun and rewarding... Then again, like I said, I haven't played any of the other ES games, so this encouragement is totally biased. Take it as you will. :)

Yeah, if I remember correctly (and it's been awhile since I've played), Morrowind didn't have any level scaling. So you can get your bottom whooped pretty early on. Random item loot is scaled, though.

If you're playing Morrowind on PC, I recommend getting some graphics-enhancing mods. The graphics are decent, but they feel dated, and the characters are kind of ugly, lol. Just be aware that Morrowind's combat gameplay is stat-based and I think the hits are stat-based (luck?) as well. Fatigue affects your combat, too.

It feels a bit old-fashioned and clunky. If you have a very, very high stealth stat, you can pretty much steal something in front of someone's face. XD (I know I did.)

Prepare for a lot of reading. There is a lot of text-speech and dialogue in this game. (Not a lot of voiced stuff, if I remembered correctly.) Sometimes the NPCs give some information about various factions and places or other NPCs, etc.

There is no fast travel, unless you pay for a ride (or use magic), so prepare to walk around a lot. The NPCs sometimes give vague directions, so there were a few times I was a little lost. (But I've always been bad with directions, lol.)

I can't remember if there were quest markers. I don't think so...?

Oh, and be prepared to face some cliff racers (weird flying creatures)! They can get annoying at times, lol. XD

One more thing: Be sure to check the barrel, in the beginning area, for a magical ring. Look everywhere, basically, just like in any RPG. :)

I hope you enjoy Morrowind! :) It takes some getting used to, (especially post-Skyrim, lol).

ETA: Here is a link showing some differences between Morrowind and the newer Elder Scrolls games:
http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind_for_Oblivion_Players

I've played this game long ago when it was first released, and I remembered it was a bit of a learning curve with some things. I would suggest skimming or reading the manual, so you know what's different from Skyrim. Take your time, train those skills, watch your fatigue level, and have fun! :)

(Forgot to add: Magic is another way to travel!)

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
If you want to play Morrowind and Oblivion, it might be worth waiting for these folks to finish the Skywind and Skyblivion mods.
I remember reading about that last year. It sounds way cool if they ever get it up and running.
There is no fast travel, unless you pay for a ride (or use magic), so prepare to walk around a lot.
I had a rule in both Oblivion and Skyrim that I could only use fast travel that I paid for (or spells/teleporters with one of my Oblivions mods). There were exceptions, like when my refusal to concede I couldn't go "that way" got me stuck in a crevasse between two rocks I couldn't get out of, but otherwise I stuck to it. In Oblivion especially, there was something about running across the verdant countryside I found very soothing (until of course, you realize a troll is nipping at your heels).

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, yes. I love that soothing feel of traveling through the lovely environments of those games. Just feels very freeing.

These games are like fantasy-based walking simulators. :) (Imagine if they made VR or AR versions of these games, lol?)

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Those of you looking to play the remaster on PS4 might want to reconsider. Mods won't be supported.

Awwww, man! :/

If I still want a more modern console version, then I'll wait to see if reviews say if it runs well on PS4 with reasonable loading times, then. (PS3 version was terrible with loading times compared to my faster PC version.)

Otherwise, I'll stick with my PC version with mods, and my older XBOX version. I'll wait for the next new Elder Scrolls game (VI), and in the meantime, focus on other newer games like Pokemon Sun/Moon, Tomb Raider, Yo-Kai Watch 2, Kingdom Hearts III, etc.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Awwww, man! :/

If I still want a more modern console version, then I'll wait to see if reviews say if it runs well on PS4 with reasonable loading times, then. (PS3 version was terrible with loading times compared to my faster PC version.)

Otherwise, I'll stick with my PC version with mods, and my older XBOX version. I'll wait for the next new Elder Scrolls game (VI), and in the meantime, focus on other newer games like Pokemon Sun/Moon, Tomb Raider, Yo-Kai Watch 2, Kingdom Hearts III, etc.

Personally, I would (and will) stick to my PC version rather than get a console remaster. My X1 struggles with Fallout 4, I don't see Skyrim2 being any better.
I like how I'll get a free version on my pc, actually. I mean sure, my laptop isn't powerful enough to run base skyrim well and I can't afford a proper rig, but it's still nice.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would (and will) stick to my PC version rather than get a console remaster. My X1 struggles with Fallout 4, I don't see Skyrim2 being any better.
I like how I'll get a free version on my pc, actually. I mean sure, my laptop isn't powerful enough to run base skyrim well and I can't afford a proper rig, but it's still nice.

I'll have to get a new PC built... bleh.

So... hubs says that you can already get this for Skyrim on PC because HD mods already existed. Is Bethesda releasing a PC version or only the console versions?

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to get a new PC built... bleh.

So... hubs says that you can already get this for Skyrim on PC because HD mods already existed. Is Bethesda releasing a PC version or only the console versions?

When it comes to the Elder Scrolls games (III through V), there are some gorgeous HD mods (or mods that make the characters and/or world look better) out there. :)

Here's an example of a HD textures mod for Skyrim. Screenshot images here. Beautiful mods are always a thing with these games. ^_^

I love mods when it comes to these games. I use mods to make the characters more prettier or handsome and have better bodies, and nice clothes and hair, etc...but they really do wear down my graphics cards and take up space on the computer, lol. XD Still love them.

I don't know what the remastered is being released for. I think it's for the current consoles. (It was only on the older consoles originally, I think?)

Anyway, the no mods thing is a total bummer, though. I'm hoping the PS4 version loads well, and it better look as good as or better than HD mods.

Last edited:

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, sourced from being mod-crazy and perpetually haunting the skyrim mods subreddit, it's for the Xbox One, PS4 and PC. PC owners get the remaster for free if they have a copy of the original through steam, I believe. For PC players, I think the advantage is running on an engine based off Fallout 4 rather than Skyrim's original. It should be prettier by default without mucking about with ENB, etc. and hopefully run better. However, the remaster won't be able to support all of the current mod roster due to some vital mods not being compatible with the new engine (at least, not yet).
It's hard to say anything for sure because Beth have been numb on the matter, but that's what I can gather. It all makes me envious of those with decent computers, really, but c'est la vie.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so it is for PC, too?

Hmm...tough for me to decide. I don't think my integrated graphics card can handle it, lol.

And I love my current mods...

Nah, if the remastered was really good, I'll still prefer to check out the console version. The purpose of the console for me is to not have to deal with graphics cards and RAM, blah, blah, and all of that tech stuff. XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.