Geoguesrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I found this game today. GeoGuesrr

You're dropped somewhere on the world, using Google streetview, and all you have to do is figure out where you are.

Pretty simple, pretty addictive. I thought I'd share.

Oh, my best so far is 11059 points. Without googling every streetsign I came across, I must add.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I bloody love Geoguessr, but I am definitely a street-sign Googler. I really enjoy having a few tabs open with, say, the Sao Paolo Yellow Pages, and a list of churches called Our Lady of Whatever, and trying to narrow it down that way. What I think is great about it is that it lets you construct your own fun way of doing it - I enjoy ferreting through databases, and I bet if you were a botanist it'd be fascinating trying to do it from vegetation, etc.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
This afternoon, they dropped me on a endless stretch of desert road, nothing in sight but the rear end of a truck, probably a mile away. So I'm in pursuit. It took a while, but eventually I caught up with it, revealing a large map of Australia on the side of it.

Pretty satisfying. :)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I bloody love Geoguessr, but I am definitely a street-sign Googler. I really enjoy having a few tabs open with, say, the Sao Paolo Yellow Pages, and a list of churches called Our Lady of Whatever, and trying to narrow it down that way. What I think is great about it is that it lets you construct your own fun way of doing it - I enjoy ferreting through databases, and I bet if you were a botanist it'd be fascinating trying to do it from vegetation, etc.

The worst is when you have to be a botanist to get at least the continent after you've been dropped in some open plain.

Reveen

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's a village one the border of Ukraine instead of in the middle of it!

Talk about blind luck.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Oh, it's a village one the border of Ukraine instead of in the middle of it!

Talk about blind luck.

Databases. It's kind of amazing how many signs there are in the world. Find yourself a sign in the village; learn a bit of Cyrillic; spend five minutes fascinatedly browsing Google. So much fun.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
26745. I win ten internets. It helps that 4 times out of five I was neatly deposited next to road signs. And then I happened to know where Port Arthur, Lightning Ridge, Gemsbok, and Funchal are. For the fifth, anonymous but obviously Brazilian town, I was throwing darts at a map.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Brazil and Russia, as well as vast swathes of coniferous forest that could be Canada, Alaska, or Scandinavia. I'm interested to know how this works, actually, and whether it's truly random.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
Yeah, Brazil and Russia, as well as vast swathes of coniferous forest that could be Canada, Alaska, or Scandinavia. I'm interested to know how this works, actually, and whether it's truly random.

At least Scandinavia seems more dedicated to having consistent road signs than some other locations. And Norway's, I think, tend to be blue.

Russia (and the Ukraine) always gets me, since I can't exactly Google something in an alphabet I don't know >.> I know I've gotten Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, South Africa, Botswana, Russia, the Ukraine, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland, England, and the U.S. And I think those are the only countries I've gotten, actually. I know it has to be places Google Street View has gone (so no North Korea, obviously, no Pripyat), but other than that, I don't know how they determine it algorithmically.

jerriecan

Registered
Reaction score
Big fan of Geoguessr - managed to get around 19000 points, mostly because I recognized one of the towns that popped up as one I've driven through and got within 100 meters. I then proceeded to guess the wrong continent for the next two. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out when I'm in Brazil, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.