How did you decide on a URL for your website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

would be happy to hear your response on why you would willingly turn away traffic?

I'm not convinced a forwarded domain for every book results in more appreciable traffic now, never mind that it will in the future, or that the traffic is worth the expense.

But it does result in more expense, for sure.

I can certainly see, once someone is making money rather than spending it, having a domain and dedicated site for a specific series; Elizabeth Moon, for instance, has done that, and it makes good sense.

But simply forwarding domains?

Even if it does generate more traffic, and I'm not convinced it does, what value is increased traffic to an author if it doesn't generate book sales?

Honestly, I'm not convinced that every author needs a Web site either.

Especially an author just starting out.

TheSocialSketch

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thesocialsketch.com
Okay, I get your point. That for an early starter or beginner, that the expense might not out weight the results, correct?

I personally think that traffic is a predecessor for book sales (dealing with an online writer, not published in bookstores). Once on a site, actually selling a book is a whole different can of worms.

Thanks for taking time to share your opinion!
Tyson

Deleted member 42

As much as I love the Web, and social networks, and the overall conversation of the 'net, I think the bottom line is that the best thing an author can do to sell books is to write and publish another good book.

lolabelle

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I love the Web, and social networks, and the overall conversation of the 'net, I think the bottom line is that the best thing an author can do to sell books is to write and publish another good book.

I find myself agreeing with this, although I'm also in the process of determining whether starting own website is beneficial or not--so take that for what it's worth.

In response to the thread question--I'd probably use my book title or the name of the world I created (since that's all I write about).

Deleted member 42

I'd probably use my book title or the name of the world I created (since that's all I write about).

The problem with using a title is that the title can change.

The author name can change as well, though it's less common than a title change, and much less common than it used to be.

TheSocialSketch

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thesocialsketch.com
Despite popular belief, being a "good author" is not always enough. The average process for publishing a book (mind you, not self-publishing, but going through an agent) has the following odds for PUBLISHED work (not people who think they're good, but those that actually finally make print and end up in stores).

For every 50 queries a "good" author sends out, they will receive 1 interested "nibble" from an agent. Out of those interested "nibbles," about 1 to 2 out of 50 are actually "printable." Out of the "printable," only 1 in 3 print. That means that with "a good book," someone has a 1 in 7500 chance of making it big. Those numbers are pretty generous and worse if this is someone's first book.

Every little bit of professionalism in appearance helps when it comes down to it. Have your name out there...being SEO savvy...building your presence to the public...all good things at the end of the day when you're going for the big push to be successful. More so, if you're not trying to go the classic publishing route, but trying to self-publish, getting your name out there as much as possible is even more important.

Now...whether or not you should be investing in a website at all if there isn't any income yet?....that's a different point entirely. There's a lot of free hosting alternatives out there to get your start if money is tight still. If you have the income, however, it is definitely worth the investment when the likelihood is it only costs $5 more to get the domain and then have it redirect to your main site. PLUS, there's the additional benefit that others won't be able to buy it out from under you if you do become the next bestseller....hero to us all and 1 in 7500 (generous odds). I do hope that is the case, though. I'd love to be that guy who can say, "I remember when..."

Best of luck, regardless!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not advising to have a website per book, as you said that would be daft (unless you're a big name like J.K. Rowling or have a best selling series). What I'm saying is having an automatic redirect for the book domains to your author domain.

I.E.:
Book1.com (no website) redirects to myname.com/book1
Book2.com (no website) redirects to myname.com/book2

At $5-10 per domain that's pretty cheap advertising and cheap SEO.

If you have just two or three books out then it might seem "pretty cheap": but when you've had over thirty published, as I have, or over ninety, as a particularly productive friend of mine has, that represents a significant amount of money.

I'm not convinced that this is a good way to spend that money. SEO is a slippery beast to master, and writing good content on your own website or blog is a far more effective tactic for writers to use.

If you are trying to actively sell and promote your book, then every amount of SEO, viewership, rankings, etc. is worthwhile to pursue. If you could get more viewers and possible buyers to your books, why would you not be willing to spend $5-10 for a higher likelihood?

I would be happy to hear your response on why you would willingly turn away traffic?

Take care,
Tyson
Not following your advice does not equate to someone "willingly turn[ing] away traffic", and by suggesting that you're either missing the point or being deliberately disingenuous.

I understand that your focus is on SEO and online marketing: but those aren't necessarily effective techniques for selling books, online or off. I suspect that you don't have much experience of working with books, or of publishing techniques, and so you might not understand how to market books in the most effective way. There are a couple of clues to that effect in this post of yours, for example:

Okay, I get your point. That for an early starter or beginner, that the expense might not out weight the results, correct?

I personally think that traffic is a predecessor for book sales (dealing with an online writer, not published in bookstores). Once on a site, actually selling a book is a whole different can of worms.

Thanks for taking time to share your opinion!
Tyson

If it's true that "traffic is a predecessor for book sales", how is it that some books sell hundreds of thousands of copies despite their authors not having any internet presence of their own? And how is it that plenty of writers have popular blogs but still sell very few copies of their books?

Moving on, writers aren't "online writers" or "published in bookstores".

Writers write books which can be published in many different formats, such as paperback, hardback, audio or electronic books. E books are often sold online, which is what you're probably referring to when you say "online writers"; but they're not exclusively sold online.

Similarly, print editions aren't "published in bookstores", they're published by publishers and sold from a variety of outlets including book shops. Print editions are also sold online to an increasing degree.

If you knew much about publishing I don't think you'd have made these basic errors; and I suspect you don't know very much about the dynamics of selling books, partly from your obvious lack of understanding about publishing, and partly from your enthusiasm for SEO and for building mailing lists. These things are often touted as important things to do, but I've not seen anything which has proved them to be effective when selling books.

What I have seen to be effective in selling books, however, is this:

Medievalist is right. Write good books. Publish them well. It's the most effective sales tool there is for a writer, and a far better investment in one's time than working on your website's SEO.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see this post when I posted my previous comment. I can't ignore it, I'm afraid.

Despite popular belief, being a "good author" is not always enough. The average process for publishing a book (mind you, not self-publishing, but going through an agent) has the following odds for PUBLISHED work (not people who think they're good, but those that actually finally make print and end up in stores).

Being a "good author" implies to me that you're an author who behaves nicely, like a well-trained lap dog. "Good author! Sit! Stay!"

Being a good writer is a lot different. And you're right that it's not enough if you want to be published, and sell lots of copies. To achieve that you have to be professional and courteous, and find out all you can about how to best submit, the most appropriate places to submit your work, and how to react to subsequent opportunities. Oh, and you have to keep writing.

For every 50 queries a "good" author sends out, they will receive 1 interested "nibble" from an agent. Out of those interested "nibbles," about 1 to 2 out of 50 are actually "printable." Out of the "printable," only 1 in 3 print. That means that with "a good book," someone has a 1 in 7500 chance of making it big. Those numbers are pretty generous and worse if this is someone's first book.

You can extrapolate all the "odds" you like from the submissions process but that doesn't make them an accurate representation of how this really happens.

Every single author, every single book, has its own odds. Some books are so wonderfully good that their authors would have to never submit in order to avoid publication; some books are so terribly bad that they have no chance whatsoever of publication, no matter how hard their authors work at refining their queries and formatting their hard-written pages.

For a manuscript to be "printable", it only has to exist in a form that will stream into a printer. Being publishable is an entirely different matter, and I suggest that if you're going to lecture us then you might want to make more of an effort to get your basic terms right.

Also, your logic is wrong and you don't seem to realise the point you're actually making. Yes, 50 x 50 x 3 does equal 7,500; but by presenting this in the way that you have, you imply that if a writer sends out 7,500 queries they'll get "printed", without exception, and that's clearly not the case.

Your "odds" are meaningless. You need to rethink this.

Every little bit of professionalism in appearance helps when it comes down to it. Have your name out there...being SEO savvy...building your presence to the public...all good things at the end of the day when you're going for the big push to be successful. More so, if you're not trying to go the classic publishing route, but trying to self-publish, getting your name out there as much as possible is even more important.

Getting your name out there isn't going to help you get pubilshed unless you're an A-list celebrity, which most of us are not.

And SEO is pretty much worthless for most writers. Trying to manipulate one's website to provide good SEO is pointless for a writer: writing more good books is a far more useful way for writers to use their time.

Now...whether or not you should be investing in a website at all if there isn't any income yet?....that's a different point entirely. There's a lot of free hosting alternatives out there to get your start if money is tight still. If you have the income, however, it is definitely worth the investment when the likelihood is it only costs $5 more to get the domain and then have it redirect to your main site. PLUS, there's the additional benefit that others won't be able to buy it out from under you if you do become the next bestseller....

Writers should have websites if they want them, and only then.

Worrying about nabbing domain names which match the titles of our works in progress is ridiculous, as titles change so much between drafting and publication. They often even change after acquisition. A single book can go through ten, twelve or fifteen titles. Are you suggesting that authors should register all those domain names? For goodness' sake.

hero to us all and 1 in 7500 (generous odds). I do hope that is the case, though. I'd love to be that guy who can say, "I remember when..."

And now you're making even less sense than you were before.

Best of luck, regardless!

And the best of luck to you too.

I strongly suggest you stop underestimating your audience here. While you're at it, you could also stop telling us how publishing works because it's obvious that you know very little about the business. You might also want to stop displaying your lamentable lack of understanding of logic, fallacy and statistics; and you should definitely stop trying to persuade us that SEO is the answer to all of our problems because SEO is only significant for the writers who are writing self-help, market-your-way-to-success, how-to-earn-money-fast books, and very few of AW's members come into that category.

I hope that's clear.

Deleted member 42

I do hope that is the case, though. I'd love to be that guy who can say, "I remember when..."

I'm also going to point out bluntly that you're mistaking your audience, badly.

To the point of not picking up on the fact that someone who is getting top level domains at $5.00 a pop must be someone with a lot of domains.

Despite two very deliberate opportunities to point out the difference between forwarding and masked forwarding, you didn't.

This suggests a certain professional deficiency on your part.

You are assuming that you're talking to new writers. Many of us are not new. Many of us have been commercially publishing for years. As in twenty or more.

Your understanding of how publishing works in terms of both commercial and self-publishing is lacking.

I'm increasingly getting a strong whiff of SEO marketing dweeb; the references to mailing lists pretty much makes any other interpretation unlikely.

Let me make something clear. If you're here to pimp SEO services or marketing services you're not welcome.

If you're here as a writer, you might want to reconsider the way you're presenting yourself.

This is the only warning you're going to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Who types in URLs anymore? I don't have to have rogersaccesslibrary.com, rogersaccesslibrary.net, etc. All folks have to do is put Roger's Access Library or Roger's Library or Roger's Access Samples into a search engine and they'll find me. Go ahead. Try it.

What I need is good, searchable content, and that takes time and effort. There aren't any shortcuts.

SEO tricks don't work for long because they ARE tricks and the search engines learn to recognize and ignore them.

TheSocialSketch

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thesocialsketch.com
My Apologies

First of all, I would like to apologize for my overtly grandiose statements on getting published. It is not and has not been my goal nor intent to ruffle anyones feathers here. Call it a slight over google-fication for some stats on publishing.

Secondly, I am not encouraging nor promoting anyone to "game" SEO, I know that word often times has a very negative connotation that you are trying to trick the system and get a short win. Again, that is not my point nor intention; SEO is part of the large ecosystem of your online presence and getting noticed (might not be as big for a large chunk of writers as it is for me). Looking back on my posts, as I'm new here I can see how not thoroughly explaining what I meant by SEO was a poor assumption on my part, opening me up to appearing as an "internet marketer" selling pipe dreams.

Thirdly, I am sorry that my opinions on things might have caused some of you to jump on the bandwagon (assuming I was an "internet marketer") to protect your community from those who come to prey on people. I am not one of those people, I do not intend to be one of those people, nor do I encourage some one to seek out that type of person.

Lastly, I have not in any way tried to pimp out my "website," I do not offer SEO services, though I do occasionally write about it. Additionally, do we really need the passive aggressive ad-hominem attacks? If you do not agree with my opinion, that is fine. I was merely offering my advice to an open ended question.

Again, I am sorry if I have ruffled feathers and caused a stir. If you do not wish nor like my presence here, you are welcome to notify me and I will disappear.

Respectfully,
Tyson

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Dude you might have been okay until this bit:

Additionally, do we really need the passive aggressive ad-hominem attacks? If you do not agree with my opinion, that is fine. I was merely offering my advice to an open ended question.

Again, I am sorry if I have ruffled feathers and caused a stir.

1. If you think Old Hack, or Roger Carlson or I are passive aggressive, your ability to comprehend text is somewhat lacking.

2. The fact that you've got a Super Modarator and the moderator of this sub forum, a moderator and the Admin for the site in your thread, and you're still not catching on, speaks volumes.

If you do not wish nor like my presence here, you are welcome to notify me and I will disappear.

No need for that.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Who types in URLs anymore? I don't have to have rogersaccesslibrary.com, rogersaccesslibrary.net, etc. All folks have to do is put Roger's Access Library or Roger's Library or Roger's Access Samples into a search engine and they'll find me. Go ahead. Try it.

Me. I do.

Sorry. I know I'm weird. But I'm pretty sure there are at least a few people left that I have this in common with.

Also, just typing it in to the search engine can become unexpectedly problematic if someone else with your name suddenly becomes a much bigger celebrity (happened to a friend of mine).

I'm going to agree / disagree with Old Hack.

SEO is MOSTLY useless for an author. It's ridiculous spending tons of time polishing your SEO and adding content instead of writing unless you are selling something besides fiction.

On the other hand, it's stupid to ignore it to the point leaving the title of your page 'Title'. Hopefully, you will eventually have at least one fan who likes you enough to look for you online. Be a nice person and make it a tiny bit easy for them (even if they type www.yourname.com into their address bar).

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com

::Headsmack::

Sorry, Roger. I missed your point. I DO type in what seems like the obvious URL. I DON'T think all those extra domains are necessary. (And yeah, if the obvious URL doesn't work, it is off to Google).

The most obvious one is sufficient. Unless, like the middle initial scenario, you think people would be confused. Then you protect the second domain also and redirect to the main domain.

Deleted member 42

On the other hand, it's stupid to ignore it to the point leaving the title of your page 'Title'. Hopefully, you will eventually have at least one fan who likes you enough to look for you online. Be a nice person and make it a tiny bit easy for them (even if they type www.yourname.com into their address bar).

That's less to do with search engine optimization than

1. The basics of writing for the Web
2. The way your CMS works.

It's about the quality of writing and the content, and the ease of finding useful information.

The entire point of search and indexing algorithms is to emulate the ways people read and parse pages.

Google has been exceedingly clear about how to increase search engine rank.

Write for people; not bots, and you'll do fine, as I expect you know.

The idea of buying individual domains for every single book and forwarding is incompetent SEO.

There's a reason that there are automated page rank checks that check for that very thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Not that I am exactly at this stage, but I am thinking about it.

As an author (or wannabe author), did you use a URL that was your name? I assume having one with the title of your book is not so smart - what if your write other books?

If you did use your name, was it first and last, or first middle and last? I am thinking of using all three as my official author name since my last name is pretty common, but my middle name is a bit long and I've been told that using all three will be too much to type. Wouldn't it be weird to have all three names on the cover of your book but have your website be only your first and last name? Confusing, right?

It seems silly on one hand to be debating this level of detail, but once you pay to reserve a URL, you want it to be the right one!

NOTE: This is all just my opinion/experience. Others may disagree. Others who know a lot more about this may disagree. If they do, listen to them. :) And if they do, sorry. I'm just opinionated.

I own about a dozen domain names, I think.

I started with staciakane.com and staciakane.net. I used .com while my web designer built the site on .net; either directs to my site.

As time went on I bought .co.uk (I think), and a couple which related to my series after it was contracted and close to publication, just so I had them. Much of my lots-of-domains stems from an incident I had where someone created a very similar pen name to mine to write books with similar titles; they had a free website and were linking to mine/attempting (so I was told) to link searches for me to their site to increase their rankings. At that point I bought quite a few variations of my name, not just spellings but things like "officialstaciakane" and "staciakaneworld."

A reader wanted to set up a fansite, so I gave her one of those domains, but I still own the rest; they're all parked, but they're mine, and they're tax deductible.

That's not an "SEO" thing, though. It's just preventative. And I don't think it's necessary, but I'm rather paranoid. The $150 or so a year is worth it to me.

I've gotten a couple of emails over the last few years from those sharks who say things like "We own 'staciackhayne.com' and will sell it to you for five thousand dollars," and I can tell them to fuck straight off because I own all the domain names I care about.

But I've never bothered to buy domains for my book titles. :)

Get your name. I don't think it's confusing to have only first & last on the site when you write under First Middle Last, but why not get FML? They have to type your last name either way. If your name is taken try "writermyname.com" or "mynamebooks.com" or something similar. I personally don't recommend "obscure" names ("tryingtogrow.com," "thepurplewoman.com") or cutesy ones ("funandsillystories.com" or "nothingtalesfornothingpeople.com") or anything like that; save those for your blog title. Your site should have your name in the domain if at all possible. Yes, in a lot of ways it doesn't matter so much, because people will enter your name into a search engine and your site will come up even if it's called thishasnothingtodowithme.com, as long as underneath that it says "The website of author Your Name," but still.

As far as "SEO"... I've never done any sort of SEO thingy and really don't care to mess with that, but when you Google me you get between half a million and three-quarters of a million hits, and my website is the first three (the homepage, books page, and blog all come up). I'm pretty sure this is in part because of that metadata stuff my web designer did which I don't pay much attention to either (that's what I paid her for, among other things) but also because it's an active site with a lot of content and a lot of links back to it. I really don't think playing around with search terms matters so much.

I'm sure part of the point is to have your site come up when people Google things like "yourgenre authors," but when you search for "urban fantasy authors" you get blog lists/Goodreads lists, and I'm on those, and I personally think readers looking for lists of authors are more likely to click on those than on some random website.

Again, I could be wrong, this is just my thoughts on it. You want a domain name that's simple and identifies you as the site owner. Save the spiffy wordplay for the site's content, and get the "cleanest" name you can.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

You get these numbers from ... where?

Here is the real low-down: If you write a book that surprises and delights, that book will sell. Perhaps not to the first place, or the second, but it will sell. If you don't, it won't. No matter how many times you send it out.

This is a game of skill, not a game of chance.

Deleted member 42

Get your name. I don't think it's confusing to have only first & last on the site when you write under First Middle Last, but why not get FML? They have to type your last name either way. If your name is taken try "writermyname.com" or "mynamebooks.com" or something similar. I personally don't recommend "obscure" names ("tryingtogrow.com," "thepurplewoman.com") or cutesy ones ("funandsillystories.com" or "nothingtalesfornothingpeople.com") or anything like that; save those for your blog title. Your site should have your name in the domain if at all possible. Yes, in a lot of ways it doesn't matter so much, because people will enter your name into a search engine and your site will come up even if it's called thishasnothingtodowithme.com, as long as underneath that it says "The website of author Your Name," but still.

I think more than SEO or traffic or any of that other stuff, especially before you start publishing and you know the name you'll use, you need to control your identity, on and off line.

Own your accounts, and domains, even if you never ever use them.

That stops anyone else using them.

But I'd be wary of spending money before you're making money.

Stacia's been published quite a while, and has a number of books and fans.

She's been participating in the conversation on the Web, in forums, and facebook and Twitter, effectively.

She's making money as well as protecting her future income by spending money.

And she's not acting like an SEO dweeb.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Offsite SEO in the very first stages is like being pregnant. If you eat healthy, exercise and don't smoke then your at an advantage for the rest of development.

I'm on the 1st page of google for my main keywords for 2 websites and can attribute barely any sales to this. A conversion rate of 1% (which is fairly normal) would only account for 3 or so sales. Page 2 of google is a good place to hide a dead body, the bottom of page 1 of google is sitting in a dark corner at a party, while being at the top of page 1 is when you find out if your keyword leads to sales, and it might not.

So similar to what others have said here; SEO for me, has come nowhere near to competing with the frame of mind people are in while on Amazon or elsewhere and see my book.

Search engines do rate an exact match domain, not as much as they used to, but it does make a difference. I never spend more than the $10 or so per year and never buy from a domain squatter. If you put hyphens in the domain this increases your options so-long-as-there-aren't-too-many.com

To find a good domain you can use google 's keyword tool, you want something that has good traffic but low / medium competition. I could get to no. 1 for domains containing "Banana Split" or "Ice Cream" (or other domains with page title containing) which are low competition with almost half a million traffic per month BUT nobody buys Ice cream or banana split over the net AFAIK lol. If you were to title a book with those it's highly unlikely it would be relevant to what people are searching for therefore akin to "spam".

That said if you have no inclination for SEO you might as well get a good domain if you can, leave it at that, then get on with other things.

There are a lot of SEO dweebs out there as Medievalist says. Be wary of people offering services for money because many give short term boosts that disrespect the algorithms of search engines and in the end do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I think more than SEO or traffic or any of that other stuff, especially before you start publishing and you know the name you'll use, you need to control your identity, on and off line.

Own your accounts, and domains, even if you never ever use them.

That stops anyone else using them.

Oh, yes, I forgot to say (someone else mentioned it, but I'm repeating it):

Do not publicly "announce" your pen name until you've bought your domain name. I wouldn't set up Facebook or Twitter pages or whatever else until I'd secured the domain name, either.

Do not search for your domain name until you have the money in-hand and are ready to buy. Have a list with a couple of alternates just in case.

This isn't quite the question, but personally I'd Google your pen name first to make sure it's not taken in your genre, or there isn't a serial killer with your name, or whatever else.

Calling yourself "Ann Smythe" and writing historical mysteries, when there's already an Ann Smith writing historical mysteries, can lead to confusion and difficulty. Calling yourself "Ann Smythe" and writing self-esteem nonfic or contemporary fantasy when there's an "Ann Smith" writing historical mysteries isn't so much of an issue. IMO anyway; it's clear to anyone doing an internet search or looking in a bookstore that those are very different writers with very different focuses.

I'd probably suggest John Gacey or Jeff Damer take a pen name no matter what they write, even with the slight spelling variations. :) (Unless they have a very clever marketing plan in place, but even then it's iffy IMO, despite those men being dead and all.)

Deleted member 42

That said if you have no inclination for SEO you might as well get a good domain if you can, leave it at that, then get on with other things.

There are some things about writing well for the Web that do in fact make search engines happy.

Using a clear title for your page or post; sometimes it does make sense to use a clever punning title, so use your writerly instincts and think about your readers.

Using text for links that clearly labels or describes the link content, instead of the old school practice of linking "click here" or something similar.

Don't be boring in terms of word choice and syntax. Variety in sentence length and style, and choosing your words carefully are just as important on the Web.

Use Alt tags for your images; think about the fact that there are a lot of people relying on screen readers and adaptive technology to browse the web. What should they know about the picture they can't see? Remember, search engines can't see either. They're looking at text.

Use Cite tags for titles for books, movies, plays and longer poems like Paradise Lost.

If you're using a CMS/blogging system like WordPress that accepts plugins, use a good site-map plug in that supports search engines like Google. A site map makes it easier for the poor 'bot indexing your site to spider it regularly.

If you're hand-building a site, follow Google's directions for making a site map for search engines.

And of course, navigation is important. Is it easy to find specific pages like About and Contact and Books?

There are a lot of SEO dweebs out there as Medievalist says. Be wary of people offering services for money because many give short term boosts that disrespect the algorithms of search engines and in the end do more harm than good.

Every time Google updates Panda, my sites improve in rank a little because writing like a person for other people gives me an edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.