• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

MediaBitch Literary Agency & Productions (Keith Chawgo)

KaitlinBevis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaitlinbevis.com
I got a like from them during #pitdark and took a look at some of the books they've represented. A few of them were published through the agency? I didn't see any of the presses I'm familiar with. I'd love some more info if anyone has it.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Likewise, they popped up for me on the #PitDark thing today. Website says they've been a literary agency since 2014, and the parent company, Media Bitch Marketing, claims to have been around since 2002.

The Website doesn't look too bad, but it's a simple Wix.com page, created just in 2016.

They emphasized on their Twitter that they are a literary agency, not a publisher. But yeah, they have books published under the agency.

Off-hand, I'm rather disappointed to say it's probably better to walk away. Nothing here looks promising.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like it's run by one Keith Chawgo, who has some experience listed as a (thinking indie?) film producer. Not bad skills to have, but leaping into publishing is going to be a big learning curve and may put author's books at risk if mistakes are made.

Honestly, I find the label a bit off-putting. I walk into a party, and sit down next to some big-wig: "Yeah, I'm repped by Media Bitch." I can see that convo ending well. Chawgo lists himself as Scriptwriter/Lyricist for Media Bitch going back a lot longer than the agency, so I wonder if it's kind of a personal brand that's expanding. If so, why is it expanding into agenting? It seems a very odd direction and previous polymath-esque solo ops haven't yielded a lot of success. Literary agent is not just something someone should become one day.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I find the label a bit off-putting. I walk into a party, and sit down next to some big-wig: "Yeah, I'm repped by Media Bitch." I can see that convo ending well.

That was my first thought as well.

tsrosenberg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsrosenberg.wordpress.com
On their 'services' page:

Here are just a few of things MediaBitch™ Literary Agency can do for you:
Connect you with the right publisher
Editing services
PR and marketing materials and campaigns B2B and B2C
Develop social media campaigns
Help develop fan pages
Organise book signings and web chats between writers and their fans
Sourcing artwork for book covers
Book launches and events
Advertising concepts and taglines
Website content development and online copy

Says it all, really.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the title of the agency isn't quite professional, I think. It raises concern right there.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the title of the agency isn't quite professional, I think. It raises concern right there.

I'm sure they think of it as "edgy". But self-conscious edginess is awkward, and a little embarrassing.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the name alone would make me walk away. An agency should at least sound professional level.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I don't personally mind the name, but in this type of business when you're approaching publishers asking them to read your clients work... how many of THEM will be off put? My guess is at least a few and that's the real problem, IMO.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I don't personally mind the name, but in this type of business when you're approaching publishers asking them to read your clients work... how many of THEM will be off put? My guess is at least a few and that's the real problem, IMO.

Exactly. I think it sounds juvenile, sophmoric, and more sexist than edgy, but it doesn't bother me. It might bother someone else I'm working with.

The services list is offering everything under the sun, which strongly suggests no real specialization in any of it. Agenting is different than publicity is different than cover design. It's going to be hard for any publisher to take an "agency" like this seriously when it doesn't know the division of labour in the industry.

David Odle

Chasing the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidodle.com
Agreeing with most here that the name is off-putting, which counts them out. Here's the thing, it's not easy to get an agent. But, getting an agent is a cake-walk compared to getting past an acquisition editor. You may only get one chance. Would you want to risk that one chance due to a stupid naming issue of the agency? I wouldn't. Damn, look at the negative reactions on this thread alone - proof that its a real issue worth considering.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, this isn't a joke fake agency? 'Cause the name is just...no, lol. (Like others have said, it sounds...unprofessional.)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
The name doesn't really bother me. I'm used to hearing successful companies tagged with 'bitch', e.g. 'Smart Bitches Trashy Books'. If it comes down to a killer agent at an agency with a crass name, and an agent some place that sounds classy but is useless at getting deals, I know which one I'd choose. So I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and research the agents and their sales records before making a decision as to whether I'll query.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Any new news, information or personal experiences about this agency since May?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Keith Chawgo has no apparent publishing experience. The site says,

He currently works at a leading teaching hospital in Hampstead, UK and runs MediaBitchTM Literary Agency representing novelist, graphic artists, graphic novelist, artists, screenwriters and novelists

The Royal Free hospital is near Hampstead. It's a great hospital, but it's got nothing to do with publishing. And no agent can represent that broad spread of creative people in an effective way.

The other three people listed on the site have no publishing experience either. This is a huge problem, because it is extremely unlikely that they'll know enough about publishing to understand what they have to do, or to recognise what they're doing wrong.

The services they offer are not what literary agents are meant to do.

They have very few author-clients listed and the ones I looked at appear to have been published by Media Bitches (which is a clear conflict of interests) or by small presses you don't need an agent to submit to.

Add to that the extremely unprofessional name and I would not even think about submitting to this agency.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
What bothers me about the name, and makes it feel unprofessional, is that it's so negative.

'Smart Bitches, Trashy Books' (a very popular romance review blog) works because it's a positive reclaiming of the derogatory term. The smart bit is what makes it funny and loveable, and the contrast between smart ladies reading 'trashy' romance is really funny. It's irreverent, it's hilarious, and it works on a ton of different levels. It's a website made by women, and you can definitely see that they understand how 'bitch' really hurts if wielded poorly.

'Media Bitches' just makes me think... huh? The cute logo is the only hint of positivity about it, on its own in text it just feels so negative and self-deprecating. Imagine seeing it in contracts! There's nothing to take out the sting or make you laugh, it's just shock value. It feels like the name was chosen without proper consideration of how hurtful the word can be.

Honestly, it reminds me of boys in the back of a school bus calling each other bitches for giggles -- it's all forced edginess and no understanding.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Wellll, either they've pulled the plug already, or they forget to renew their domain. Social media still active, so I'll assume the latter for the time being.