A Better List: Sci-Fi edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, following up the fascinating discussion in this thread, I come to you, my fellow denizens of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum, with a question.

I have two friends who are interested in going to "second base" with science fiction. One of them has read a few sci-fi books, but would like to explore the genre a bit more. Most of her experience that I'm aware of is with stuff that's a bit lighter on the science end, but really good classics--C.S. Lewis and Ray Bradbury in particular. The other has read a lot of sci-fi books, but very limited in scope--mostly military/hard SF and some pulp, and she has only recently discovered that there's more out there to the genre, and wants to go exploring. She's also read a lot of Bradbury, and I know they've both read Childhood's End.

As I myself am not particularly deeply versed in sci-fi, I'd like to ask if anyone here would like to make any good suggestions, and perhaps make a sci-fi equivalent to the "seven essential fantasy reads for people wanting to take the next step into the genre" list.

Thanks!

(As an interesting side note, the original New Yorker article posits that the list provided is "second base," with "first base" being famous best-sellers like LotR and Harry Potter and the Chronicles of Narnia--titles well-known enough that they've crossed into mainstream awareness. If "second base" is then books that are more well-known to fantasy readers, and considered good lead-ins to the various possibilities of the genre [basing this definition on how the "better list" was formed in the original thread], then what constitutes "third base" and "going all the way" with a genre?)

Dicentra P

Help!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game series, Asimov if they haven't read him, Greg Bear, David Brin (Uplift Series is great), Elizabeth Moon, If they are fantasy readers Anne McCaffrey is a great crossover. Pern books read like fantasy, Acorna Series is a bit of both as is Petaybee series.

starchildtrilogy

We are made of star stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Orson Scott Card! He's Ender's Game series is awesome. Anne McCaffrey's Pern is great for fantasy, but her Rowan series is more scifi. Piers Anthony's Xanth series is light and easy and Eddings is the same for fantasy. However, Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series is scifi/fantasy mix, as is his Apprentice Adept series and the Mode series. Okay, okay, I like Piers Anthony. :)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You could also direct them to Smiling Ted's excellent thread on The Basics (stickied at the top of this board) that contains suggestions for classic books written about different sci-fi themes.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
'nother vote for Card. Le Guin also, for the Hainish cycle. McCaffrey's Talent novels (Rowan and Pegasus, etc) are great, though only the later and earlier novels in Pern(in terms of story chronology) are really good for sci-fi. I would also put forth Vernor Vinge and Peter F. Hamilton. Space Opera somewhat, but very entertaining. I would support Brin's Uplift novels as well. Also, William Gibson.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Dune. Of course.
I second that. ;)

Foundation series and I, Robot by Isaac Asimov. Those I consider his least technical books (he can get pretty sciency :D ).

2001: Space Odyssey by Arthur Clarke. It's a bit slow at the start (and you'll think you're not reading a sci-fi at all!), but it gets really interesting by the third Act.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip Dick. If you've seen Bladerunner, this is the book its based off of, but they both go in their own direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.