Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Didn't you know? Meyers IS Paolini.
Or perhaps I should say, Paolini is Meyers.
And Robert Jordan.
And Dan Brown.
And whoever wrote the last five Laurell K. Hamilton novels.

Who IS Meyerlini....?
Uh oh.
You told.

˙noʎ llıʞ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ ll,ǝʍ ʍou

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I heard that the Leet HaXoR who made Conflicker really wrote those books.

I'm seen him or her quoted as saying:

"I'm g0inG 70 righ7 7h3 b3$7 F@N7@sy 8o0k5 3ver @nD 83 sUP3r C00l!"

At the risk of being gindered I'll guess "him".

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
This discussion is perfect, as I'm just finishing up reading this book now.

Personally, I've found it a bit longer than it needs to be, but fairly enjoyable. There are little bits of originality here and there which make it worth the read. I particularly liked the way Paolini treated magic in this book, by making it something which requires physical energy to perform. This was a nice detail that added a degree of believability to his universe.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Would I joke around when I worked so hard to promote and support the Book Study? Just getting enough people to offer insight is really tough some months.

But I did leave a big clue when I listed the March Book Study.

Now, stop all this nonsense about pirates and furry dragons and let us get back to our discussion.

:)

In that case, I greatly enjoyed the story. My problem with it, was that the travel was too... simple.

Paolini's map, and the relative easiness by which they got from location to location very nearly made the distances between these locations insignificant.

I compare this to, for instance (because I must) Fellowship of the Ring, where just *leaving the shire* was so difficult for our heros, the journey itself was life-threatening. Even when the travel was not adventure-packed, it was perilous: disease-carrying neekerbreekers in the marsh, spying crebain in hollin.

For a first novel, Eragon was a great attempt. It reads at YA, and is very enjoyable at that level. It incorporates so many established motifs of the hero's journey that experienced readers see a lot of the plot twists coming, but others are genuine surprises. Or, pleasant sniggles at the very least.

I give it 3.5 dragon eggs out of 5.

Dreir

Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez... I actually got up to dclary's post - and I was almost starting to pull all my hair out in chagrin by this time - before I realised what's going on. Man, you guys sure got me (yeah, I'm easy pickings in that way).

- Dreir -

Status
Not open for further replies.