Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
The one I just finished is kind of Bourne Identity meets Terminator. Usually thriller means big, world-changing stakes, but I think that's hard to realistically pull off in YA. Life or death stakes to the MC seems to make more sense.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
so you're done with R ink- that's great! sub, sub, sub while the iron is hot as they say ;)
hmmm....life and death, it's in there

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
True pittishness is not one bleak streak of despair, I've learned. It is a rollercoaster hell-ride of outrage, numb dread, moments of sheer glory, fear that I might have to give up on that glory, and warm thanksgiving at folks who offer their time and skills when I need them most. Mix, repeat several times, and jumble.

It's living.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
The Pit: It's a state of mind.

And I've had one pittish day (granted, last day before VACATION, but still...) Not only car troubles and a whole lot of agony at work (including big foulups in front of da boss - why do they never catch you working hard and solving problems? Why?!) but I think I'm needing a new computer soon. And I'm having big issues w Metro North overcharging me and then not sending train tickets on time.
No wonder I actually bought a lottery ticket tonight. Granted, it's for half a BILLION dollars, but still, why didn't I just give the money to a vagrant? The results would be the same.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
That's right! Actually, I could've sprung for the cheap liquor and we could both get drunk.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Hester}}} Work on the new one, maybe?

{{{Para}}} Sorry to see you in the Pit.

{{{Snappy}}} I agree with Kellion. And if you give her options, that's something. Still, it sucks.

*raises hand*

I never intended to have dogs, but I don't believe in doing anything by half measures. I have dogs now, so I spoil the hell out of them.

Actually, I believe I got the idea from you, Red. Way back when, B.C. (Before Clancy--my dog) I remember you writing that your pup had an upset stomach and that you made this. I believe several people up in Purgatory also recommended it. Sage advice. And I don't have kids, so all my motherly instincts go straight to the dog.

{{{Ink}}} You deserve some good news.

{{{Kellion}}} A quiet week can be disheartening.

{{{Mario}}} Yup, I bought my ticket and had two numbers out of five, twice. SO close! :tongue

Sheesh. Lot's o' Pittishness here. Business as usual, I guess.

Can I tell you how happy I am it's Friday? I can't wait to go to sleep so I can sleep in. :D

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
True pittishness is not one bleak streak of despair, I've learned. It is a rollercoaster hell-ride of outrage, numb dread, moments of sheer glory, fear that I might have to give up on that glory, and warm thanksgiving at folks who offer their time and skills when I need them most. Mix, repeat several times, and jumble.

It's living.

Yes, beautifully put, and that's why those of us with our eyes open never leave the Pit. Although you forgot to mention the monotonous slog of waiting, waiting, waiting.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Quiet here. Are you all on Pit furlough, having an un-Pit-like weekend? I hope so.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
My grass didn't mow itself either. And I certainly didn't do it.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Blue Moon by Luanne Rice (it's an oldie, I know). I loved it, and thought her characterizations were so detailed and realistic. I wanted to cry, thinking Gah, I'll never write this well.

And then I looked up reviews of the book, which I often do at the end, and while her reviews of the book were positive for the most part, there were still some that weren't. "Too slow," "Gratuitous sex," etc. and I wanted to bang my head against the wall at how f*cking subjective it all is.

Yeah, yeah this is not news. I know, I know!! The realization just blows my mind every time.

On a completely unrelated note: My almost 10-year-old son weighs 56 lbs., and his friend who is only 4 months older weighs 129 lbs.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I'm here in some capacity....

MIL was taken to the ER today, so guess what I did all day? She's going to be okay but her mind is really going....

Now we have our big dog and her tiny dog here...interesting.

Cat, that's a substantial weight difference. What's the deal?

I'm operating in sound bites today. Fark. Can I just have one normal weekend? I did highlight my hair because after seeing a picture of myself from last night I have deemed myself a troll.

Off to make cheesy popcorn and watch G@m3 0f Thr0n3s.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) Sorry for the bad weekend. You really deserve a few empty days with nothing going on.

I need to color my hair too but I was too lazy last night. I almost got it cut Saturday, but again, lazy. So I will continue troll-like. Soul dear, I don't know how you do it. I hate spending time on my hair and I wear it up everyday when left to my own lazy devices.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) You deserve a vacation, sweetie.

Cold and raining here this morning, and crappy stuff to do at work today. Feeling pittish.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I need to get my haircut too and have highlights done before an out-of-town wedding next weekend and I have NO TIME. And no time to see the BF, really, this week because of too much work for both of us, his family, and the aforementioned wedding, which is making me very grumpy and slightly ashamed of myself because we have seen each other a lot lately.

Extremely Pittish Monday...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the Pittishness.

This morning I touched up the gray hairs on my hair line with a brown Crayola marker. Seemed brilliant to me. Also slightly crazy.

Oh well, I have more video today and I hate working with photographers/videographers when I look terrible. Even when they're not shooting me, I suspect that they are trying to figure out how to light me so that all my flaws wouldn't show.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

{{{Cricket}}}

{{{LKP}}}

{{{Kell}}} & LOL

I see there was a discussion about thrillers on Friday, but I missed it. The thriller genre is more about use of suspense and pacing, plot twists, and stakes. The stakes can be high (as DVI mentioned, big & world-changing), but mainly it's about the MC being in grave peril or someone else important is. It's usually a race against the clock or chase story. Either the hero/heroine is chasing the bad guy or the one being chased.

Examples are B0VRN3, THE DAV1NC3 C0D3, HvNT F0R R3D 0CT0B3R, THE MANCHVR1AN CAND1DAT3, M1N0R1TY R3P0RT, S1L3NC3 OF TH3 LAMB etc.

I'm a huge fan of old school thrillers by F0ll3t, F0rsythe, Lvdlvm & L3Carr3. R0b3rt Harr1s has some good early thrillers. One of my favorite books ever is Fath3rland, with the classic thriller setup where the hero has to find the thruth about something before government agents kill him set against a backdrop of alternate history.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Lkp, they do sell hair color touch up markers! But no one delivered them to my house, and our brown markers seem to get the least use from my rainbow-loving daughters. I'm resourceful!

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It's Monday. I got another R. Now, I have to make the call to the student.

*hiding under couch*

Noompsy

Ow
Registered
Reaction score
{{{Snappy}}}}

On Crayola hair color. That is the best thing I've heard. I've got Witchie-Poo grays sticking out of the top of my head that I've not been able to color. Too bad I only buy washables....

Status
Not open for further replies.