William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
an interesting analysis in slideshow format...

Thanks in part to his rhetorical prowess, President Barack Obama has been credited with restoring prestige to the presidency—in contrast to his predecessor, George W. Bush, who was often derided for sounding vacuous.

But is this observation true, or just an assumption? And how have presidential speeches changed throughout U.S. history? Vocativ wanted to find out.

Using the Flesch-Kincaid readability test—the most well-known reading comprehension algorithm—Vocativ analyzed over 600 presidential speeches, going back to George Washington. We measured syllables along with word and sentence counts, and gave each speech a numerical grade. For instance, a grade of four means the content is accessible to a fourth-grader, while a grade of 12 corresponds to that of a high school graduate, a 15 to that of a college graduate and a 21 or higher to that of a PhD. Ultimately, we drew five conclusions, each of which was analyzed by Jeff Shesol, a historian and former speechwriter for Bill Clinton.
https://www.vocativ.com/interactive/usa/us-politics/presidential-readability/

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
From the last slide, comparing Bush and Obama:

While President Bush was often inarticulate off the cuff...
In context, this suggests things are different for Obama when he speaks "off the cuff." I don't think so.

That said, I think the analysis is flawed, insofar as "sophistication" doesn't mean better at all. Obama has had some tremendous speeches imo, better than any Bush had, by and large. Yes, the post 9-11 speech was great, but that's the kind of an opportunity few Presidents ever get (thankfully) and I think most would have done equally well. They all made it to the Oval Office, after all. Some measure of skill in this regard is a given (with a few exceptions, to be sure).

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think that dense speeches full of long, complicated sentences and big words are better -- and that's what moves you up that scale to a 21.

Indeed, I think simple and clean is nearly always better.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, but you haven't heard us with guitars. It makes all the difference.