Last Movie You Watched...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thor. Tons of Fun! Beats even Ironman as my fav of these new build-up to The Avengers movies. A perfect blend of humor, action, and pathos (yes!). Hemsworth was fine, but Tom Hiddleston's nuanced performance as Loki knocked it out of the park. Branagh did a great job of directing. And when the God of Thunder uses that Hammer (meow-meow as one misinformed character called it) it is pure divine special effects. Go see it.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
The Killer Inside Me. Argh! I had heard such great things about this movie and was SO disappointed. You can't make a movie about a tricky murder and the subsequent investigation then leave giant plot holes!

Just horribly, terribly, miserably disappointing...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Love and Other Drugs - A quirky little rom-com set in the universe of The Dark Knight. Rachel Dawes' brother is dating Selena Kyle's twin sister. It's a merry little fling until they go to a convention in Gotham City and notice she's got Parkinson's disease. It was pretty good.

Rock Throwing Peasan

Danger Zone
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the original Friday the 13th with my two boys, who are turning into horror film fans. I'm not a fan, but will watch the movies with them. I completely forgot who the killer was in the first movie. Um, overall, a good movie for it's time, but looks dated.

Up next is Hot Fuzz. Kids aren't watching it, though I may allow Shaun of the Dead.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- OMG, Ben Barnes keeps getting hotter, if that's even possible. One of the better Narnia books (after The Magician's Nephew and The Silver Chair) and probably the best of the films so far.

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
The King's Speech on DVD. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't *that* good, either. Not good enough to live up to the hype. But it did affirm my belief that if you want to win Oscars, just make a period drama about a retarded person overcoming adversity (or someone with a stutter who therefore sounds retarded). Guaranteed win apparently. Although Colin Firth was very good.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
The King's Speech on DVD. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't *that* good, either. Not good enough to live up to the hype. But it did affirm my belief that if you want to win Oscars, just make a period drama about a retarded person overcoming adversity (or someone with a stutter who therefore sounds retarded). Guaranteed win apparently. Although Colin Firth was very good.

Or about the British monarchy. Cue the Thatcher biopic sweeping the board next year. ;)

I'm current watching the tv series: Our Friends In The North.

mark520

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I watched Caroline the second times yesterday,I admire the film mostly because it is good to look at. Selick is as unconventional in his imagery as Gaiman is in his writing, and this is a movie for people who know and care about drawing, caricature, grotesquerie and the far shores of storytelling. In short, you might care little about a fantasy, little indeed about this story, and still admire the artistry of it all, including an insidious score by Bruno Coulais, which doesn't pound at us like many horror scores, but gets under our psychic fingernails.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Priest with Paul Bettany (whom I have a crush on, I admit it!). I was looking forward to it since at least 2 of the actors had played vampires in the past (Cam Gigandet - Twilight - and Stephen Moyer - True Blood). But, alas, I just found it rather odd at best. 1-1/2 stars.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Jane Eyre (2011). I was pleasantly surprised. Now I'm watching Summertime with Katharine Hepburn.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Something Borrowed. I read a New York Post review where the reviewer obviously didn't get it that the Kate Hudson part was an obnoxious pretty girl who doesn't really understand love and life. He just said that Kate (not the character she played) was obnoxious and made a big thing about Ginnifer Goodwin, who also did a good job. Reviewers are a sad lot, in my mind.

This isn't my kind of movie, though. I never rate these very high. 2 stars.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Romantics Anonymous, a delightful French movie released last year. 90 minutes of sheer chocolatey pleasure with some laughs thrown in. Catch it if you can. Good subtitles as opposed to many foregn films where the subtitles are nonsencial or out of sync.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
The King's Speech -- I thought it was a very decent movie. I quite enjoyed it. A few humorous points, too. Couldn't help but feel bad for King George VI

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Movies are rubbish now.

Quite a blanket statement.

But they are. So there. :evil

And with that insightful comment...

Regards

Whacko

cherita

Registered
Reaction score
Or about the British monarchy. Cue the Thatcher biopic sweeping the board next year.

Ah, the monarchy! Forgot about that one. The King's Speech was a shoo-in -- it literally had *everything* the Academy looks for! I would say since Thatcher isn't retarded, that limits its chances for a clean sweep, but it's got Meryl Streep and now the Weinstein Co., so you're probably right!

Anyway, just saw Thor. It was good fun, but walked that fine line of cheesy. If they had even the hint of one more "you will never defeat the mighty Th--" joke, it would've been too much. For that, and because of the forced romance, I still prefer Iron Man.