Status
Not open for further replies.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
OK, so I submitted a sci-fi piece to Strange Horizons on 23 April. According to their website, if you haven't heard back from them your story is still under consideration. Does this mean that they just haven't gotten to mine yet or does it mean that I made the first cut?

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Strange Horizons tends to run around 35 days if you are going to be rejected on the first cut, and around 60 days if you make it to the second cut (stats taken from Duotrope.com and personal experience).

Keep your fingers crossed (I have a story sitting with them as well, submitted April 5)!

:)

-Michelle

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Yeah - it makes more sense that they haven't gotten to mine. I'm expecting a rejection, my story comes awfully close to one of their "we've seen too many of these" kinds of stories.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Instead of worrying about whether you made the first cut or not, just hold in your mind that after about three months, you are perfectly okay to e-mail a polite follow-up.

During that time, push it out of your head, and write some more cool stuff.

If you haven't built a spreadsheet to track this kind of stuff, you really ought to.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
23 Apr is very early. You can see it on Duotrope.
They are running late right now, too. Their fastest first round rejections are all around 43-45 days.
Fingers crossed on the stories!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Instead of worrying about whether you made the first cut or not, just hold in your mind that after about three months, you are perfectly okay to e-mail a polite follow-up.

Note: Strange Horizons explicitly says to query them at 70 days if you have not heard from them. Do not wait beyond that.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
On Ralan's it is said that they are closed to submissions from 16 of April till 1st of July, so your submission might have been discarded.

Ralan's notice is incorrect, then. The official guidelines state the close dates are from May 1st to July 1st. Anything sent before the May 1st cutoff date is still being considered, however.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
In my experience from SH, two of the editors have a faster turnaround time than the third, and give more form rejections. So the time doesn't necessarily mean anything other than "you're in that slow 1/3" and form vs personal rejections don't necessarily mean anything other than "you got that editor".

The closest I ever got to a sale to them took over 90 days and two queries.
So don't do too much rejectomancy with SH :)

ETA: ftr I have something that's been with them since 4/7. Had to look that up :) I'd start getting antsy about it... sometime in mid-June I guess.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all, Beth... My point is more like "Relax, write something new, and don't freak out on submissions!"

I've always been impressed with Strange Horizons' submission system. Their record keeping is better than mine, that I can tell, and mine is pretty strict.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've always been impressed with Strange Horizons' submission system. Their record keeping is better than mine, that I can tell, and mine is pretty strict.
I know! I am in awe. I queried them a bit ago to say "You rejected an old old version of this story lo these many years ago, but I've totally reworked it. May I re-submit?" and the resonse was "So that would be either this story or the other that you submitted in 2003?"

I went :Jaw:

"...I guess it was 2003? I dunno!"

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
Oh, I don't disagree with you at all, Beth... My point is more like "Relax, write something new, and don't freak out on submissions!"

Oh, absolutely! The best and only thing to do is to keep writing new stuff.

But I do understand the urge to fret. :)

They put a lot of thought into it, from what I've read.

I've only had one submission fall through the cracks with them. It was a rewrite request that got eaten by my ISP's wonky outgoing spam filter. So I waited the max days, queried, and found out they'd never received it!

Luckily the story sold, which made up for the extra sixty days I had to wait.

(And right after that, they added a new auto-receipt for rewrite requests.)

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I know! I am in awe. I queried them a bit ago to say "You rejected an old old version of this story lo these many years ago, but I've totally reworked it. May I re-submit?" and the resonse was "So that would be either this story or the other that you submitted in 2003?"

wow :-O
With a lot of publications I get the feeling that if a writer submitted the same story week after week for ten years straight they wouldn't even notice, causa how little attention they focus on subs. So SH must be a good pub.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
wow :-O
With a lot of publications I get the feeling that if a writer submitted the same story week after week for ten years straight they wouldn't even notice, causa how little attention they focus on subs. So SH must be a good pub.

SH is a very classy pub.
however they continue to reject my offerings.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
An editor from Bantam once wrote me because she read my story in SH, and she wanted to know if I had any novel manuscripts. And I've heard from other writers who had the same thing happen.

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Mine too, but they "like my writing", so I'll crack them eventually! :D

I got a veeeeery nice rejection from them on The Devil and Gracie Price. Before it was edited and...like...better. From Jed. Seemed relatively personal, in any case -- loved my voice, etc etc, look forward to seeing more of my work, pointed out the weak bits in the story. I was really grateful for the critique, honestly, because I think the story is SO much better now.

So I love Strange Horizons. I think I'm going to send my next one to them, once it's done.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I got a veeeeery nice rejection from them on The Devil and Gracie Price. Before it was edited and...like...better. From Jed. Seemed relatively personal, in any case -- loved my voice, etc etc, look forward to seeing more of my work, pointed out the weak bits in the story. I was really grateful for the critique, honestly, because I think the story is SO much better now.

So I love Strange Horizons. I think I'm going to send my next one to them, once it's done.

That's funny - I just queried SH about a sci-fi sub genre to see if they take that kind of work and Jed answered immediately. I get the impression that they take a long time to respond on manuscripts because they are good about reading them; they seem totally on the ball. I like 'em too!

Status
Not open for further replies.