resubmission etiquette for a revision (when haven't heard back yet on original)

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question?

I think a short story I submitted for an anthology is at the moment still being decided on - in the final 10% - but I recently edited it, cleaning it up and tightening things. I like where it stands now. So I am wondering what the etiquette might be for emailing the editor of this anthology, to see if they would like me to resubmit this tighter version of my short story.

Should I keep waiting for a verdict on the original? Or should I email them and see if they would like to see the one I tightened? How should I phrase it, if I email them? I'm worried I'll say the wrong thing the wrong way.

This is pretty much my email so far; I recently decided to tighten up my short story "______" which I submitted to ______, and I feel like it's improved. It's cut down to around 7.3k words and I think I've cut out unnecessary wordage. I like where it stands now, and so I wanted to ask you if you would be interested in my resubmitting it - I think it's called a 'revise and resubmit'.

Last edited:

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I think opinions on this really seem to vary--some editors don't mind it, others see it as a sign that the story wasn't edited enough when you submitted it, or may be disgruntled at being expected to read it again.

I'd ask myself just how major the changes are. If by tightening it you mean that you reworked a couple of sentences and maybe cut a paragraph or two, it's probably not worth resubmitting. If that was all that was holding the editor back from accepting your story, they could always ask for those changes, after all.

If you cut a whole scene, on the other hand, it might be worth it... but it's up to you whether you want to risk it.

This would not be called a revise and resubmit, though. That's when the editor asks you to make the changes and resubmit, not when you choose to edit and resubmit it by yourself.

Congrats on being in the final 10%, though! That's a great achievement even if you don't end up getting accepted.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, yeah I haven't cut any important scenes, just trimmed out extraneous wordage and things of that nature that didn't need to be there. I wound up bringing it down about 300-400 words so I thought maybe it would be worth it to see if they wanted the revised one. I just like this one more - things are a little tighter, cleaner sentences, and so forth. I was too nervous originally to ask before the submission deadline if I could resubmit and now I'm nervous that this is the revision they would want. I guess I am just a nervous mess about it. I want this story to be the best it can be, and I worry that the version they have isn't.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a novel to my editor in the beginning of January. Last week I read the file I sent her and realised it was the wrong one! This one was the pre-edit last draft. Dunno what happened, but I'm mortified. Typos, mispelled words, name-swaps, awkward sentences, chunks of text that I deleted and/or rearranged in the last verson... you get the picture. At the end of the day I decided to leave it, not annoy her by asking her weeks later to read the edited version. I'm hoping she'll scratch her head, wonder if I was on a bender when I subbed and like the story enough to cut me some slack in the editing department.
HTH. :)

Edited to say: also, if it helps, after I wrote and submitted my first novel I did a self-editing for writers course, then panicked about my crappy ms. I wanted to withdraw it and edit, edit, edit. I e-mailed the publisher and explained, and was told my book was scheduled for the acquisitions meeting! A few weeks later they offered for my book (so did a few others!) and I accepted. So, IMO, if an editor wants your story they will overlook certain mechanical issues which can be fixed during edits.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My experience is that it generally leaves a bad taste in most editor's mouths. It always raises the question of why didn't you do this before you submitted the story, and are you going to change it again after you send the new version?

You shouldn't even go back an read a story once you've submitted it somewhere. Make sure it's as good as you can possibly make before submitting it. This is the professional approach.

And if you leave it alone, don't go back and read it later you've submitted it, you won't have to worry about it. You won't be tempted to start changing things.

Work on new stories, and leave any old stories already in submission alone.

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
My experience is that it generally leaves a bad taste in most editor's mouths. It always raises the question of why didn't you do this before you submitted the story, and are you going to change it again after you send the new version?

You shouldn't even go back an read a story once you've submitted it somewhere. Make sure it's as good as you can possibly make before submitting it. This is the professional approach.

And if you leave it alone, don't go back and read it later you've submitted it, you won't have to worry about it. You won't be tempted to start changing things.

Work on new stories, and leave any old stories already in submission alone.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. Since I haven't gone extreme on editing, just trimmed sentences and cut out words/a few sentences that were redundant, I suppose it's not that big of a deal. I'm just incredibly nervous.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Editors are wildly different. So you're not going to find one answer that works for all.

I (personally) wouldn't mind being sent the new, revised version. I'd really prefer to read the *best* version of a story, so if someone was struck by inspiration and went back and improved on it...yeah, I'd want to read (and publish) the improved version, not the less-than-stellar version.

Of course, some are going to agree with Jamesaritchie, I'm sure. (Because editors are not monoliths who agree on everything.)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't because imo it comes across as amateurish. I seem to find something to change every time I re-read one of my stories. But if it's already out, the revised version is for the next place, if there is one.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Editors are wildly different. So you're not going to find one answer that works for all.

I (personally) wouldn't mind being sent the new, revised version. I'd really prefer to read the *best* version of a story, so if someone was struck by inspiration and went back and improved on it...yeah, I'd want to read (and publish) the improved version, not the less-than-stellar version.

Of course, some are going to agree with Jamesaritchie, I'm sure. (Because editors are not monoliths who agree on everything.)

Aside from the annoyance factor, my problem is which really is the best version? Was it the first one sent, or the resubmitted version, or the new, new version the writer will send in two weeks?

I very seldom see new versions that are better, unless I'm the one who suggested the changes. Once a writer gets something in shape for submission, my experience is that changes they do on their own will make things different, but rarely better.

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
I'd generally assume that the new version is better, since otherwise, why send it? (And yes, I'd only look at one version.)

With that said, I'd be make very certain that the change *was* better prior to sending it for that reason. (Probably significantly enough so to warrant sending out a second version.)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd generally assume that the new version is better, since otherwise, why send it? (And yes, I'd only look at one version.)

With that said, I'd be make very certain that the change *was* better prior to sending it for that reason. (Probably significantly enough so to warrant sending out a second version.)

From my experience, the writer usually has no clue which version is the best. I assume the first version is the best the writer could possibly write, or why send it?

I've seen too many "improvements" too many new versions, that were worse than the original, or that were, at best, changed so little that it made no difference.

And that's the thing, anyway. If the changes are minor, the editor doesn't need them until later. If the changes are really major, it's almost a new work, and an annoyance. Doubly so if you've already read, or arr reading, the original version.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Editor here.

Dear Editor,

I've done a fresh polish on my story (title, date submitted) that you are presently considering.

It's tighter and better than the previous version and I hope you'll consider my sending this one to replace the first. Please let me know if this is an option.

Yours truly....

###

None of that "I feel like it's improved" which is wibbly-wobbly. Keep it professional.

It's better. Period. The ball is now politely in my court.

Speaking for myself, I will want the more polished version. If I say yes, put "Requested revised version" in the subject line along with the title.

I have 100s of stories in my email file and won't remember yours, even if you send it minutes later.

Keep the mail short and simple. I don't have time to open a dialog with you. I do want to read the story just the one time and would prefer to have the best version of it when I pass it along to the next editor.

One thing I notice in cover letters are the writers who hint or "look forward to" any comments I might have for a story.

We don't have time for those. Unlike a print copy where I might scribble a "keep trying" on the front page, email submissions have eliminated that option.

We are reluctant to email writers with comments, because then the eager writer wants to know *more* and get more details on how they can fix their story.

We don't have the time. That slush pile grows faster than kudzu.

We also have short memories. After a bit of slush reading all the subs tend to mush together and sound the same. Only an exceptional voice will stand out from that.

So I strongly recommend writers get feedback from other writers first, preferably in a group that has some pros in it. AW's "Share Your Work" forum is a great start.

And finally, I KNOW you are nervous and hopeful, elinor, it's impossible not to be in such a state. All writers get it!

But be writing on the next story you plan to send out. Send out ANOTHER story right now. Keep that machine going.

It keeps you from hanging all your hopes on one submission. If a rejection comes, you'll be less crushed for having 2-5 *other* stories in circulation.

Last edited: