Comparing your work to that of published authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is this possible? When I read a published work, Ender's Game and Lean Mean Thirteen. These people are great authors! I really envy them, and wished I was like them. Everytime I read I get so frustrated with myself, and wonder why I can't make a compelling character like Ender. Why can't my story be really cool like Stephanie Plum? When you read those books, even if you love the stories, it's really depressing.

I know I really should be doing this, but I can't help it. I just don't want to be frustrated when I'm reading. I'm writing a first draft, I shouldn't be acting like this.

Has this happened to you?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Everytime I read I get so frustrated with myself, and wonder why I can't make a compelling character like Ender.

Card couldn't have written Ender when he was your age, either. He had years of experience as a journalist and playwright before he started writing fiction.

The only way to be a better writer is to read more, write more, and live more. So keep doing all three and you'll get better. ;)

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When I am actually reading a great book, all I can think about is the world I have been sucked into. Once I set it down to do other things, though, those evil envious thoughts trickle in. It is very deflating at times, but I love to read and refuse to stop while I am writing.

Which leaves me (and you) with two choices:

1. Listen to the thoughts and decide I suck too much and will never be a good writer and never write again.
2. Listen to the thoughts and decide I will someday learn to write just as beautifully and must keep writing so I can reach that point and beyond.

Personally, I like choice #2. My style won't match exactly those of the writers I admire most, but it will grow and become something beautiful only if I stick with it and nurture it. So instead of looking on other writers' works with envy, look on them as inspiration. Let them fill you with the joy of how beautiful the written word can be, and let them fill you with dreams of your writing blossoming into its own unique flower.

Don't envy. Dream!

:)

-Michelle

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry about how your stories stack up to other writers, Blue. Instead, compare yourself to... Yourself. If your stories get better over time, you're doing good, regardless of how far ahead of your work you think other authors are.

And like others have said, don't envy other writers. Instead, dream of what you can become. The one thing that holds more aspiring writers down than anything else, IMO, is envy of other writers. In my own case, that attitude made me think I would never get anywhere, so I thought 'why try?' But when I learned to stop focusing on everyone else and keep my focus firmly planted in my own improvement, I began to love the Craft again.

Instead of trying to be Stephanie Plum, be yourself. Be the writer you are, and stop trying to please every other writer under the sun.

Best wishes to you, Blue. Happy writing! :)

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
A family friend offered to pass along my mss to his agent :D, who is one of a very few famous in her own right. The problem is that his agent represents Toni Morrison (among many other top names). All I can think is, "I"m not Toni Morrison. I'll never be Toni Morrison. Toni Morrison is brilliant." I've been terrified - for, uh, seven years. His agent also represents Anna Quindlen, though, and my writing isn't that far from hers (creative nonfiction). Still... scared :scared:.

Non-pros have said my writing reminds them of David Sedaris, which inspires me. That's the style and quality I aspire to.

Sarah

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Instead of trying to be Stephanie Plum, be yourself. Be the writer you are, and stop trying to please every other writer under the sun.

And now I find out, through the miracle of the repping system, that Stephanie Plum is not a writer but a character. :e2smack:

Oops. :eek:

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually do this. When I'm reading a really good book I'm just...reading the book. I might have a passing thought like "Wow, this is great!" but mostly I'm just completely involved.

Now, I've read some BAD books where I think "Damn, I could do a lot better." That's the extent of comparing that I do. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading great books doesn't depress me -- it makes me want to write even more, so I can get that much closer to a great book of my own.

It's reading crappy books or mag stories that depresses me. Then I ask, why did this get published instead of me? (Usually I can pin down the secret ingredient(s) -- regarding a certain very long debut fantasy novel, I instantly spotted the magic: plenteous kinky sex. ;) Not that this was a CRAPPY novel, but it was WAY LONGER than us poor debut novelists are ever supposed to have a chance at seeing published.

Robert Farley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertfarley.com
I'm kind of like Blue Dream. Used to be the same when playing music was my main thing. Couldn't listen to a band without thinking I could do that, do better than that, wish I could do that, could do that if....

I think it's better to find more good stuff than bad stuff, because if all you find is bad stuff, that means you're going to have to write bad stuff, too, in order to pubbed by the bad stuff publishers.

Ebb and flow.

Robert

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Put your envy to work Blue.

When I first started writing seriously, I found I would do the same -- ie wonder 'how do they do that?'. The answer was right there in front of me, on the page. I took my favourite writer, and my fave book and pretty much took them apart. I studied it end to end. How was it that character came alive? How was the plot advanced? How was each scene structured? How were transitions handled? How were the sentences structured? What about word choice? And on and on.

Read, and study, and read, and study, and when you see how they did one thing, all of a sudden there will be a little light bulb over your head, and you'll see how the trick is done. And once you see how it's done, you can do it yourself.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I took my favourite writer, and my fave book and pretty much took them apart. I studied it end to end. How was it that character came alive? How was the plot advanced? How was each scene structured? How were transitions handled? How were the sentences structured? What about word choice? And on and on.

And to think I went $10K into debt for professors to assign me the same thing :cry:. I also found analyzing others' writing useful in areas like use of sound, thematic imagery, rhythm, creating tension, and most of all, tightness. The latter seems not to have stuck...

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
One of the issues about reading are, there so many interesting elements of that one book, but I can't figure out how and why it's done.

Internal thoughts and Frame Story. How I can make the reader interact with the characters.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
concentrate on one scene at a time

The best way to do just about anything, isn't it?

Also, writing short stories or one-scene flash fiction can be extremely helpful because it scales down certain aspects of novels, like characterization, and forces you to make the story shine in just a few hundred or thousand words. You don't have 90,000 words to be interesting. You only have 90, or 900, or 9000.

See the "Short Stories as Practice" thread on the Short Story Writing board.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I love to read good books written by authors who I know are faaaaaar better than me, and always will be. But that's okay, because I recognize what makes them so great and every now and then I pick up a tiny morsel that improves my writing. If a writer does this long enough and consistently he picks up a bunch of morsels.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
scope said:
I love to read good books written by authors who I know are faaaaaar better than me, and always will be.

BlueLocario said:
How I can make the reader interact with the characters.

One of my biggest challenges is planting in readers' minds the words/scenes I leave out. I overexplain everything and tend to tell the reader how to react. One of my top resources is a novel written as sparsely as I've ever seen; the author uses stunning and unusual language (Mariette in Ecstasy, by Ron Hansen). I make myself rewrite wordy pieces in that style.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Oddly, despite my numerous anxieties over how good (or lousy) a writer I am, I don't tend to compare myself to other writers or think, "I wish I could write like that!!" (I might think, "I wish I could be AS FAMOUS or AS POPULAR as that," but I never wish I could write like someone else.) Maybe this is because I want my writing to be liked on its own merits, not because it sounds like someone else? I can't even compare myself to another writer, not only because I haven't the gall to do so, but because I don't really read enough fiction, especially in my genre, to say.

Maybe you need to try to take the approach I take. Instead of wanting to write like someone else, want to write like YOU write. You are the only person, after all, who has your own voice. If you were to write like one of the authors you named then you'd sound like them, and that's hardly original. It's not that authentic unless your voice is similar to theirs from the start.

Now, wanting to write AS WELL AS them, that's another story. Practice and more reading (and yes, more frustration) is the only possible solution. But even if you do end up writing as well as somebody published, it might not matter, because the readers might not find it. I think I write well, and people have told me I do, but without any way to really get my work "out there" and noticed by as many people who read published authors, I'll never know if I'm truly that good.

Think of it this way. Somewhere in this world there may be the world's greatest artist. His work has the ability to awe people, to make them laugh or cry, to make them truly think, to change their lives. Thing is, he lives in the middle of nowhere, has no social relationships, and no real contact with the rest of the world. So even if his art is the greatest in the world, nobody will know. Even if he does get his work noticed, there's no guarantee the world at large will see it. A lot depends on chance (or a good agent, or whatever).

Instead of getting frustrated, maybe you can challenge yourself to try to write as well as the people you're reading? It gives you something to aim for. But you shouldn't try to emulate them too much, because you might lose your own voice. The people you're reading were probably so successful because they didn't emulate somebody else. They were true to their own voices. (Though not having read them, I can't say for sure.)

I feel like I still haven't made my point. :/ I guess it's hard to relate when one hasn't been in the exact same situation. I know all about feeling inferior, though.

Here's one more thing to think about. You say you agonize over making a plot or a character as compelling as someone else's. Maybe you already have, it's just that it's not as compelling IN THE SAME WAY. Whether a character is compelling or not is largely a matter of opinion, after all. This "Ender's Game," for example, doesn't really sound like something I myself would care for, but that obviously doesn't mean it isn't compelling. I was going to say, maybe like me you just need to find the right readers, but you already have people clamoring for more of your work, so doesn't that tell you you've done something compelling?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Reading published authors who write better than I do raises the bar for my own writing. Reading published authors who write as well as I do (IMO) makes me feel like I have a chance at publication one day. Reading published authors who write worse than I do just makes me bitter and angry.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I try not to compare myself with anyone, because I consider myself someone who happened to write, not a writer. However, if I do lapse into comparison, it is only insofar as to critique my use of language against those writers who fit the niche I put myself in. I am not a literary writer, and spending even a second comparing myself to one is a worthless endeavor.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I think that is what gets most writer's started, the love of some character or story. You're no different than anyone else. We were all there at one time, and I am sure we thought it was a great mystery.

Last edited:

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
And to think I went $10K into debt for professors to assign me the same thing :cry:. I also found analyzing others' writing useful in areas like use of sound, thematic imagery, rhythm, creating tension, and most of all, tightness. The latter seems not to have stuck...

Exactly! Analysis! That's what will give you the edge.

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
I think that is what gets most writer's started, the love of some character or story. You're no different than anyone else. We were all there at one time, and I am sure we thought it was a great mystery.

I agree, UHN. I started with a concept wrapped around a villian. I also had some characters I wanted to write. Now I have the MS, and I really love the characters. I love the locations. I love the lovestory. I love the backstory...oh, sweet Jay-sus, stop me now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.