Canadian Pay-As-You-Go Phones?

envision

novice novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for a trip in September to Canada and I would like to get a pay as you go phone that works in Canada. I need to keep in touch with friends in Canada via phone b/c I'll be going during a super busy time in one of Canada's largest cities. Even if it's just text that's fine.

So, does anyone know of any good websites where I can buy a pay as you go phone that's affordable and works in Canada? I used to have one a long time ago, but it no longer works and the new pay as you go American phones I found won't allow you to text or call Canada.

Oh, and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong area. I'm sleep deprived from all the work and planning.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Grab one when you get here. It's what I did. :)

ETA - I came from the UK, and my phone got zero reception in this area (it picked a crap provider for me and wouldn't let me change it). New one cost me $60.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Your US cell phone will work just fine up here.

Pay as you go phones are nowhere near as cheap in Canada as they are in the US.

Rogers and Bell are the bigger names in cell phones up here if you want to search online. Just keep in mind that Bell is a fucking gong show of over billing, negotiated credits, bbb complaints, cbc investigations, and million dollar fines.

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I'm a telus user and they are great. However, check into your long distance plan, as long as you have a decent phone it will work here (we have 3G in most places) because it probably won't be cheaper to buy a phone here to call the states. Long distance just sucks.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
I went totally cheap and bought a pay-as-you-go at 7-11 in Toronto. You purchase pre-paid time and the phone comes either free or at a small cost (depending on the style of phone). Since I don't use the phone a lot it's worked out just great. I've had it for three years and probably average under a hundred dollars each year.