Dear readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
How do I go and make a story known to people? I have a publisher, but the only way to get money from printing it is by selling books by the loads, or atleast a short story, I was hoping if anyone can give me advice, should I send my short story to a publisher that'll buy my short story or my own publisher? Or send it into a newspaper for starts?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Newspapers aren't likely to buy short stories. They have paid staff and rely on almost no freelance work.

You say you have a publisher yet you go on to ask if you should submit your short to a publisher, so I'm lost. If your publisher's worth anything, you don't have to worry about your short getting out to the masses; it's up to the publisher to handle the bulk of publicity and marketing. Are you talking about submitting the short to an anthology? And if you're already under contract to a publisher, you might be careful about submitting anything to another house; you could wind up in deep kimchi.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all make sure the story has no grammar or punctuation or sentence construction issues and that it reads with clarity and flow.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think you need to say what kind of publisher this is before we can help. Approaches very greatly between publishers that sell off their website, vua online stores, via brick and mortar stores etc.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When you say "publisher," I think novels. I too am confused; is this a novel or a short story? Or do you have a novel already and are looking to publish a short story too?

For short stories, check your contract. Some magazines will give the rights back to you upon publication or after a period of time. One of my shorts had a three-month exclusive period, after which I was free to submit it elsewhere. Others have reverted the rights to me as soon as the issue was published. The story will be publicized through the magazine's normal outlets, but many (again, check your contract) will let you link to their website from your (or from you AW signature) or post a reprint on your webpage (if you have one).

For books, check your contract. Self publishers and publish-on-demand (POD) publishers will put all of the publicity and marketing on your shoulders. I have no experience promoting a novel (although I have one published POD), but many people will have a website for themselves or even for the book, will spend time on the phone with bookstores, libraries, reviewers, etc. This is, by all accounts, not a very rewarding experience. It seems to take prior knowledge of the industry and outlets.

I hope that at least gets you started. Feel free to clarify your situation and perhaps we can give you more direct input.

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
First of all make sure the story has no grammar or punctuation or sentence construction issues and that it reads with clarity and flow.

This.

But to answer the question, it depends a lot on what kind of publisher the one you already have is.

I have critted some of your writing over at SYW, and I think right now your problem shouldn't be looking for a publisher, but rather working on your writing skills.

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
Most certainly I have been working on the story, the only reason why I couldn't change it or add anymore words, is because they asked for a 3000 worded short story, and I wrote 4400 words. So I hope they will be kind to me. The publisher I have is called lpgraphics, it's a graphic design place. http://www.lpgraphics.co.za
I'm currently under no contract at all. I haven't published anything, I still have a short story and I'm working on a novel called frozen throne. I'm looking for a good publisher, I could finish my novel and then add the short story to the novel and then publish it. :) A short story and a novel book. Thanks for your guys help.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
It will probably help if you refer to IP Graphics as your "printer" rather than your "publisher." Then people can answer your questions better!

If you're considering printing a short story on its own, I would suggest submitting to magazines that already publish short stories. I think it would be hard to get people to buy a printed short story by itself.

Good luck!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not to derail, but if they say 3000 words then you need to tighten your word and drop down to that amount. EVERY story can be pruned. You need to work on your story and get it in shape. This graphic place you are talking about sounds like a web site place. IMHO

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
Actaully I know this business from top to bottom, my mother runs it. She prints books to. The first book she printed was a poem book and also kids coloring books and she also prints a newspaper for a school. She has done alot in the years, she was the first LPGraphics in the world, most people just copied a copyrighted name, so their in voilation of the internet rules. Lpgraphics does alot of things. :) I'm being honest

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
Printing is a lot different from publishing, though.

If they say 3000 words, then it needs to be 3000 words. They will NOT excuse grammar/punctuation problems at all. There are other, better stories submitted which are 3000 words... why will they be kind to you if they could easily just publish those other stories?

I'm being honest as well. You need to be realistic about these things.

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
The college isn't going to publish it, their going to grade it.

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
May i ask if English is your first language?

CACTUSWENDY

Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Will you be published in Africa? Things might be different over there than here in the USA, that's why I asked.

If your book is written in English, you will need to do more work on it. If it's written in your language....?......I'm sure you have it all polished. Over here if an agent only wants 3000 words....that is what they want. If your mother is going to publish your work she may allow you to have as many as you want.

I do wish you success with your work.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Kivandrohex--I'm not sure what you're asking. Is what you're writing for a class? Or for your mother's graphic design/printing company? And what kind of advice are you looking for?

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
Which publisheris the best AFTER editing the story? It's a fantasy killer story

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
No, if they want changes I'll do that for them. A good publisher.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
So you have a publisher for [?], but want a publisher to help build your profile and promote [?]?

There are plenty of short story markets, try duotrope.com

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks is there anyone who knows about the place called, Havanna? (The gulf of Mexico).

Status
Not open for further replies.