Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #476
MikeCheck
figuring it all out

MikeCheck is on a distinguished road
What's on my mind: Apparently there's still a heck of a lot to learn about writing once the story is complete. I wonder how long it'll take to not be overwhelmed??
MikeCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #477
SianaBlackwood
practical experience, FTW

SianaBlackwood is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCheck View Post
What's on my mind: Apparently there's still a heck of a lot to learn about writing once the story is complete. I wonder how long it'll take to not be overwhelmed??
Forever. #doomandgloom

On my mind - the fact that apparently the guys who colonised my planet had the following conversation:

Leader: Right, we're on a brand new alien planet. What are the first things we need?

Colonists: Kitties! T-shirts! Bacon!

Leader: *facepalm*

It's pretty good at killing any WIP I list here, but I'm working on trying to revive my blog.
SianaBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #478
MirandaWrites
figuring it all out

MirandaWrites is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCheck View Post
I'll second this, and add that even when I'M DONE writing, I've learned I'm nowhere near DONE writing. ... note to self... the SYW forum can be a scary place!
MirandaWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #479
Neporsche
Tribal Scribe

Neporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeporsche is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just know those query responses are going to fill my inbox, probably six months from now, all at the exact day, at the exact time, and I'm going to be scrambling to remember what I found so interesting about each and every one as I do one final check.

Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.- Jack London
Neporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #480
scribofelidae
New(ish) kid, be gentle!

scribofelidae is on a distinguished road
I have four and a half scenes left in this novel rewrite. I will get it done today. (One of those, "As God as my witness …!" deals.)

:3

HUZZAH!
scribofelidae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #481
MsPuck
...But you can call me Kristen.

MsPuck is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neporsche View Post
Now I'm thinking of getting business cards with a picture of a writer's desk. Oh, and that two articles need to be finished this weekend.
They won't believe it's your desk... unless you're standing beside it with your cat, Doctor Evil.
MsPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #482
MeganJoWrites
Superpowers: Making babies, writing

MeganJoWrites is well-respected
What's on my mind: That I'm going to treat February like NaNoWriMo. I'm excited about it. I write better when I give myself a deadline (I guess it's my reporter roots). So. 50K in one month. I did 60K in November, so here's hoping.

Website/blog: meganerickson.org
MeganJoWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #483
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Well, still no writing done today but I did get some reading done. Yay!

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #484
Zoro
figuring it all out

Zoro is on a distinguished road
Wishing and hoping for the day when my current day job is a thing of the distant past, and I am a full time published and paid writer. It's the dream afterall
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #485
Zoro
figuring it all out

Zoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Well, still no writing done today but I did get some reading done. Yay!
You're better than me ..Other than my posts here, I spent my morning watching hockey
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #486
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
You're better than me ..Other than my posts here, I spent my morning watching hockey
Hahahaha. Well, that's still something.

Twitter
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #487
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Right now, just effin' around and that's bugging me because I know I should be doing something. Like editing. Or writing my book. Or editing whilst writing my. . .

Bleh. I'm tired. Getting punchy.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 AM   #488
DizScare
You make my heart skip a beet.

DizScare is on a distinguished road
I like the progress I'm making everyday. Staying positive.
Although I'm worried that I'll hit a brick wall soon. I'm not producing as much work as I've have before. For multiple reasons.

witchParidise! hour of hearts
Genre:Fantasy/Adventure
Age Group:Middle School
MCs:Luso Faithblade (MMC) & Jasper Drew(FMC)
DizScare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #489
beautiful letters
Kate got your tongue

beautiful letters is on a distinguished road
Hmm whats on my mind eh?

The secret ex government that has created weapons of mass destruction are very angry with me, seeing that I erased them in hopes of once again creating a peaceful mind. That wont happen I'm hearing voices again and until I get going on my completely restarted book, i'm going to have melt downs everyday. The silly characters just couldn't understand that they were becoming cliche, and I ran into a dead end with my writing! I will find peace when my book flies from random thoughts in my brain, down my arms, out my fingertips, and onto my computer. I have to go the General is call for me!
beautiful letters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #490
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I've hit a massive brick wall at page 60 on the SF sequel, Planet Janitor. I'm needing me a planetary catastrophe that isn't so cliche. I've asked my publisher to throw some ideas at me. He's smart and young. I'm old, tired and set in my ways.

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #491
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Awesomebeta just sent back my latest chapter...there's a scene where a little girl is stepping off a carriage. Another character reaches out to help her and she yells, "I can get off by myself!"

Beta said: "A kid 'getting off'? By herself? Could be read another way. You don't want that to be read another way. Trust me."

So what's on my mind about my writing...is how thankful I am that awesomebeta saved me from inadvertently writing something very, very wrong.
me: what weird sexytimes stuff have i asked for!!!!!

corny
: you know...

when you wanted me to....
use my edges to...
"scratch your itch"

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #492
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I suspect said beta reader's mind is in the gutter.

I don’t know what she’s talking about but I know she’s upset, twisting that hanky like she is. Mom done it with the sheet after Asshole got in that wreck. Why do ladies twist stuff when they get upset? All that twisting, fingers squeezing and pulling like that’ll get all them bad feelings out somehow.
/my little blog/

Avie attrib.:
Louise Docker
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #493
FCameron
practical experience, FTW

FCameron is on a distinguished road
An agent asked me for a revise and resubmit (part one), but I've found it better to write a completely new part one rather than try to change the words in the old scenes.

The question is: When I merge, will a revision of part two be enough?

To quote Scarlett O'Hara: I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow.

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
Thriller: WIP
Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #494
Silver-Midnight

Well, I did get some writing in today. Just a bit. But some is better than none.

Twitter
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #495
bunny-gypsy
Mage Apprentice

bunny-gypsy has a spectacular aura
I'm struggling with the tone and age content with my m/m fantasy story so far.

I'm letting my MC develop on his own, but I can't pinpoint his age, since he acts really immature and lives with his guardians. Plus, he's part shape-shifter, so he tries to imitate the grownups and try to act like he's older than he is (but he fails at it so much, lol).

The way I write is more like a MG or tween book since I read (and watch lots of cartoons) lots of children's stuff. However, it may be YA, since MC has some sensual touching with his crush, (but they don't have full-on sex. Kissing, holding hands, and maybe some cuddling and sensual touching, but no naked love-making).

It's definitely not adult, but I don't think it's MG, either...But I noticed, looking at my books that were my favs to read, I usually read MG or Adult, but rarely YA/teen stuff. Upper MG, but not YA teens, lol...

Last edited by bunny-gypsy; 02-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
bunny-gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #496
WriterInChains
Feed my eyes

WriterInChains is a glorious beacon of lightWriterInChains is a glorious beacon of lightWriterInChains is a glorious beacon of light
It's harder than I thought it would be to get into one of my character's heads. He's a quiet guy, so I thought he'd be bubbling underneath -- not so. He's basically only thinking about two things: the lawsuit and R. Not surprising, but not exactly scintillating reading either. Time to get out the shovel & dig!

The Nesting Habits of Strange Birds,
Dreamspinner Press

My prurient alter-ego blogs, chirps, hangs out at Goodreads, and has a Facebook Author Page!

WriterInChains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #497
etcetc
figuring it all out

etcetc is on a distinguished road
Right now I can't believe how much I'm actually committed to my project. A bit too much, actually given in in my penultimate term of university and am meant to be researching my thesis - that's preying on my mind a bit!

I'm also concerned that my plot's too simplistic. At the moment I'm sort of writing with the nagging feeling that this, my first WIP, will probably end up being a test run for hopefully more likely to be published ones in the future.. But hey, if I'm enjoying it what's the harm!
etcetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #498
janelle
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

janelle is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to figure out how to edit my novel while holding down a full-time job. I think about it a lot.
janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #499
ssjohnson
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ssjohnson is on a distinguished road
On my mind: I keep seeing bloggers posting fabulous daily word counts (3000! 5800!) and I feel unproductive because my word count, since I'm editing my WIP, is probably a negative number as I cut and cut and cut. I'm finding it hard to track my "progress" since I can't do it with the standard "x words written today/this week/this month."

(off to write -130 more words...)
ssjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #500
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
My book's revision is with my agent. I'm terrified she's not going to like it.

*bites nails*

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote