Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Networking: Sharing Leads
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Writers Conferences on the West Coast?

I don't know if this is the right place for this. But are there good writers conferences on the West Coast, ones with good speakers and reputable agents?
Thanks.
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
merlot143
practical experience, FTW

merlot143 is on a distinguished road
Writers conferences on the West Coast i.e. outside of NY

I posted this elsewhere, but it's a better fit here. Are there any decent conferences on the West Coast, or at least not in New York? I write HF but it would be a general writing conference.
Thanks.
merlot143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's The Pacific Northwest Writers Association conference in Seattle

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
The SCBWI has a conference for children's writers every summer. The novel track may be good for those writing for adults too.

Just about every organization for writers runs conferences. Look for organizations with local chapters to your region. Perhaps the Historical Novel Society will have something.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
Karen Junker
Live a little. Write a lot.

Karen Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthoodKaren Junker is a candidate for sainthood
Cascade Writers workshop will be in Portland, OR this July 25-28. We are mostly science fiction and fantasy writers, with a few YA and mystery writers too. We'll have an editor from Tor and an agent from the Donald Maass agency as well as several other authors and editors. It's a small workshop, limited to 40 attendees. You can see more about it at www.CascadeWriters.com
Karen Junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
A bit further east, the one I go to every year is the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Colorado Gold conference.

http://www.rmfw.org/conference

"When it comes down to it its always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, its won.
Dont let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Surrey International in Surrey, BC, outside of Vancouver, Canada in October of every year.

It was my first conference, this past fall, and it changed my life.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
twasadark
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

twasadark is on a distinguished road
I've heard positive things about the Santa Barbara Writers Conference: http://www.sbwriters.com/

It's a bit pricey for my blood but when I'm ready to schmooze my various projects to editors I'll likely attend, since I live nearby.

Author, Necropolis
http://www.xcpublishing.net
twasadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Fictionalizer
figuring it all out

Fictionalizer is on a distinguished road
Whidbey Island in WA State used to have great conferences. I have read about them and not attended one.

http://www.nila.edu/wiwc/
This is their official website. The conference is in October 2013.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145719

WIP #1: Waterman: A Memoir, 75,000 +/- words. 1st edit.
Fictionalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM   #10
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The PNWA conference in the Seattle area, mentioned by Medievalist, is excellent, and has a long history.

The Santa Barbara conference has major star power. I found it rather cliquish the one time I attended. But I did get to meet Ray Bradbury, William Styron and Charles Schulz.

There's also a good conference in Salt Lake City (Writers at Work). Not on the coast, but in the west and easily reachable.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote