Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Harry Reid Abandons Filibuster Reform

After blasting Republicans for many month over obstructionism and abuse of the filibuster and loudly and publicly stating his intention to reform the filibuster rules so that it would no longer take a super-majority of 60 votes to pass legislation, Harry Reid decided it was just fine after all.

This move on his part will no doubt prevent many, if not most, of the president's goals from being enacted.

What a worthless piece of crap this man is.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-joke-20130124
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
nighttimer
It's Morning in America

nighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thumbs down Harry Reid= No Balls

Harry Reid is a gutless turd who waves the white flag before the battle begins.

When the Republicans take over the Senate in 2014 I sincerely hope the Democrats remove this impotent little toad from his "leadership" position. I am weary of Reid's spineless capitulation.

After Mitch McConnell becomes Senate Majority Leader maybe he'll take the dog collar off of Reid.
"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one: they promised to take our land and they took it. It was not hard to see that the white people coveted every inch of land on which we lived. Greed. Treaties that have been made are vain attempts to save a little of the fatherland, treaties holy to us by the smoke of the pipe - but nothing is holy to the white man. Little by little, with greed and cruelty unsurpassed by the animal, he has taken all. The loaf is gone and now the white man wants the crumbs."
--Luther Standing Bear

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
-- John Wayne

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory
nighttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I lost what little respect I had for him. He's been talking for over a year about getting this done and he caves with a hand shake.

Worthless.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
Yeah, I lost what little respect I had for him. He's been talking for over a year about getting this done and he caves with a hand shake.

Worthless.
Ditto. And he's even from my state!

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
nighttimer
It's Morning in America

nighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tom Harkin reads the tea leaves and sees four more years of frustration for both the president and himself.

Quote:
Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin has been backing filibuster reform packages for most of his Senate career. A group of reporters stopped him today on his way into the caucus meeting where the party will be told the virtues of what Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell agreed on. Harkin fluttered open his binder, pulled out the new rules, and read them slowly, grimly. "They're baby, baby steps," he said. He'd wanted the Democrats to go ahead and change the Senate rules with 51 votes, and Reid had forestalled that.

Harkin's been telling progressive radio and TV hosts a story about his pre-election advice to the president. He repeated it outside this meeting. "I said to him," said Harkin, "the night before the election: Look, you get re-elected, if we don't do something significant on filibuster reform, you might as well take a four-year vacation."

Bloomberg's Jim Rowley asked the obvious follow-up: Should Obama go on vacation?

"He can go out and give wonderful speeches, things like that," said Harkin. "But with the House in the hands it's in, and the fact that the Senate, now, you have to have 60 votes to pass anything... well, I daresay that Obama's package, his very aggressive proposals, will not get very far. They'll be so watered down that they won't be recognizable."
"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one: they promised to take our land and they took it. It was not hard to see that the white people coveted every inch of land on which we lived. Greed. Treaties that have been made are vain attempts to save a little of the fatherland, treaties holy to us by the smoke of the pipe - but nothing is holy to the white man. Little by little, with greed and cruelty unsurpassed by the animal, he has taken all. The loaf is gone and now the white man wants the crumbs."
--Luther Standing Bear

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
-- John Wayne

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory
nighttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
And they say the Republicans are conservatives.

There are all sorts of issues with the government system in America, and, in my view, a good bit of them exist because of archaic ideas.
Like the judicial system's apparent immunity to check-and-balance, especially nowadays with longer lives.
Or this first past the post voting process that practically guaranteed we'd end up with a dichotomic party system.
And, as has been brought up recently I believe (or maybe it was a different forum I visit), the US constitution in general is seen as out-of-date compared to other democratic systems.

I'd like to see some major changes to some of the fundamental constructs of the government.
Humble, I know.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi

Last edited by LOG; 01-25-2013 at 06:51 PM.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Sadly, Harry Reid represents a major problem with the democrats as a whole. They'll talk a big game, but when it comes time to actually fight the republicans on an issue, they back down. It's a group of people are are too scared of being labelled partisan, too scared of the Republican attack dogs, who play not to lose rather than play to win, who refuses to truly take a stand for the things that they'd promise they'd fight against, vs the party run by idealogues who laugh at the concept of compromise for the greater good, who's idea of bipartisan ship is getting the other party to do everything they want or shutting down the government, who decides that their morality trumps other people's rights, who's number one goal is to paint the other party as anti-American as possible*. Until the Dems grow a collective spine, expect more of the same, even if they do replace Reid.

*Ahem, run on sentences for the win.