Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #226
Ken Hoss
Work in progress

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Saoirse, sorry to hear you sprained your brain. I know what that feels like. Just do yourself a favor and despite what Lucie says, STAY AWAY FROM THE Kardashians!

I won't forget, muse. I'll invite everyone to my beach house on Maui, when I get it. (Or maybe the Big Island.)

No words yesterday, but today is a different story. Got in 648 this morning, wrapped up a chapter and now only 303 words from 45K! (44,697)

Hope to start the next chapter after lunch and pass that 45K mark.

ETA: Not a big writing session this afternoon, however, I did break the 45K mark! WIP total is now 45,023! Got an additonal 321 words for a total of 969 for the day!

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author

WIP - The Riverwalk Murders (11127/85000)
WIP - Mercenary Road - Angola Dawn (1423/90000)

Last edited by Ken Hoss; 01-25-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #227
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
So no words yesterday BUT I've got the urge for a writing all-nighter. Let you know how it goes...
Old 01-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #228
Saoirse
practical experience, FTW

Saoirse is a glorious beacon of lightSaoirse is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
Not sure whether to laugh or commiserate. (What the heck, I'll do both. )

It *is* kinda funny, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
AWESOME wordage, muse. Saoirse, I've never heard of a sprained brain, but think you should do the equivalent of putting it in a sling. An episode of the Kardashians ought to work. And Ken, I do hope you get Charlize. She's awesome.

Lucie

That's basically what I did. No-heavy thinking activities for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hoss
Saoirse, sorry to hear you sprained your brain. I know what that feels like. Just do yourself a favor and despite what Lucie says, STAY AWAY FROM THE Kardashians!

Thanks, Ken. Yeah, the Kardashians will prolly make it worse.

Just about to start today's writing because my brain feels much better.

ETA - 1,508 words total. Broke 110k.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, rewriting
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com

Last edited by Saoirse; 01-25-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #229
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Today: Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Glad your brain is more itself tonight, Saoirse!

IAM, I haven't pulled many all-nighters in my life (the last one was when my daughter was born), but as I recall around 4:00 the world becomes completely surreal. You might get some amazing writing out of this exercise.

Ken, get a good scriptwriter and send Charlize the script.

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 128,398
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 28,885/120,000
lizmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #230
franky_s
In a constant state of tsundoku

franky_s is on a distinguished road
Congrats to everyone who got words out!

No words for me in the last two days. I have been working on the novel though; figuring out subplots and character motivations etc.
franky_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #231
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hell, I'd definitely watch if you got Charlize in it...

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #232
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ken: Congrats on breaking the 45K mark.

Saoirse: Congrats on breaking the 110K mark.

IAMWRITER and Liz: The words will come.

Franky: How's the plotting and character motivation going?

598 words so far today and another scene I didn't expect fleshed out. Every time I think I'm getting close to finishing this 1st draft something else happens. I guess that's a good thing?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #233
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
Nothing but a blog post yet, though the day is still young. I hope to get my stident doing math and then write a scene.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #234
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

Well...I managed 1515 words last night. Didn't last all night though, gave up at around 3AM when my brain started to just give up on me.

When you start writing words like "she" instead of "seen" and mistakes like that, you know it's time to give it a rest.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #235
Ken Hoss
Work in progress

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Well, IAM, I didn't pull an all-nighter, but it feels like I did. Tried to get some done today, and it is a slow day at work, but can't seem to concentrate. I did manage some, a meager 244 words, mostly dialog. Heck, I changed it so many times while I was writing it, that it took me over an hour!

On a happy note, it's Friday and almost quitting time!

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author

WIP - The Riverwalk Murders (11127/85000)
WIP - Mercenary Road - Angola Dawn (1423/90000)
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #236
Daddyo
been around a while

Daddyo has a spectacular auraDaddyo has a spectacular aura
Well, my daughter headed to Chicago on Wednesday to meet up with her hubby (they both work for his dad), so her two girls have been at my house since. The older one goes to day care the one year old stays with me. She's pitches a double jointed fit if I open my laptop, or wants to crawl into my lap. That means no word count from me until they are returned to their owners.
Blog
RIVER BOTTOM BLUES--now available @ the usual suspects, my website/blog and Barking Rain Press
THE DEVIL'S BLUES--Ditto.
HOWLING MOUNTAIN BLUES--Due out early 2015
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #237
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Only 611 today, thanks to being in a lot of pain that painkillers just won't shift for some reason. Probably going to rewrite most of those words tomorrow when I feel better anyway, as they were pretty forced.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #238
Saoirse

Zelenka - The fact that you wrote on painkillers is amazing. I've done it, and it's tough. Go easy on yourself.

ETA 1,306 for tonight.

WIP
Awaken Me - erotica and shifters, writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com

Last edited by Saoirse; 01-26-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #239
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

Just clocking in another 1101 words for today in another post-midnight writing session. An upside of insomnia. Now time to try to sleep!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #240
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Excellent counts, everybody! Zelenka, when you're on painkillers, I think the words count at least double.

1538 tonight...and that's the first draft. Or, as I like to call it, that's the amorphous gelatinous mass that's now in need of some serious editing.

What am I going to do with myself now??

In revisions: The Cold Between - military SF, 128,398
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 28,885/120,000
lizmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #241
Saoirse

lizmonster - CONGRATS!!!!! Take a short break.

WIP

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #242
franky_s

Nice work, Lizmonster! I reckon there's a bottle of wine somewhere with your name on it.

Muse, it's going quite well. The wall behind my desk is becoming nicely wallpapered with post-its. And I'm learning some interesting things about my non-main characters.

No actual words though.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #243
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I drop back in to report a zero and there are words everywhere! Amazing stuff, guys.

So when do I get to read it, liz?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #244
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Liz: congrats on finishing your first draft! And don't worry, I'm sure you'll find lots to do.

Lucie - blog posts count.

Daddyo - words come and go, but Grandkids are little for only a short while, enjoy every minute.

Zelenka: Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

IAMWRITER: Glad you can find an upside to insomnia.

franky: Yay for post-it notes. Learning about your characters is just as important as wordage.

osg: I know how frustrating it can be to be word-less.

Saoirse: As always, great word count.

Ken: Here's hoping the weekend produces lots of words.

612 words so far today for me.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #245
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

434 words today. Been a productive few days. Hopefully I can keep on track with this.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #246
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
I have cranked out a lot of words over the last several days. I've been trying to hit a minimum of 1k per day this month and so far I have been quite successful. Only at 800 today, but there's still a couple hours left...

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #247
Saoirse

A whopping 2,429 words for me today. I'm almost to the end...I can feel it.

ETA - Today (Sunday) I wrote 1,573 words. Getting closer...

WIP

Last edited by Saoirse; 01-28-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #248
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

1042 words today which wraps the chapter and brings this WIP up to 10390 words in total which is not bad as I started it three weeks ago.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #249
franky_s

Nice work everyone.

Saoirse, looks like you're on a roll there!

I'm still doing background work. I want to get this thing completely outlined so I can start February able to just write.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #250
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
welcome back Tarak! I'm on a writing rampage. Over 6000 words now in 2 days. And having a great time.