Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
mayqueen
practical experience, FTW

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck, Smiley!
Undercover, that sounds very promising. I can understand feeling jaded about R&Rs.

Just to update, I did two rounds of revisions. The final version did not end up landing me an offer, but I think my manuscript is stronger for it. But it was still very disappointing.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's good you got something out of it, Mayqueen. Now you can send it knowing it's better. Keep trekking with it!

Disconnected
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #53
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Wow Undercover that does sound promising.

Mayqueen, go query that thing like the wind. You've got a better book and a stronger hook and I wanna see you sellll it Go go go!!

*twiddling my thumbs til I hear from the R&R agent*

How long did any of you guys hear back?

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #54
mayqueen

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Problem is, I'm pretty much out of agents to query. I kept querying after I did the revisions and managed a request, but it didn't work out.

I heard back for the first R&R request in something like 5 days. I got the second request in two and a half weeks. The final rejection took six weeks. It was an agonizing six weeks.

You just have to remember that you did the absolute best work you could do. Working on something new (and querying while waiting!) really helped me get over the agony of waiting.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #55
thelittleprince

thelittleprince is on a distinguished road
Okay I have to join this thread, because I'm going insane with the waiting.

I submitted to a publisher (I don't have an agent) and got a not very detailed R&R. So I took my time before I sent it back. I didn't have big expectations - I didn't even really know what it meant to get an R&R, I'm such a newb - and after more than 2 months of silence I figured it had probably been rejected.

But a couple of weeks ago the publisher contacted me and said she loved it! Now she is showing it to god knows who, and I am chewing all my fingernails off and my heart skips a little every time I see I have an email. The waiting is SO painful
thelittleprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #56
Bushrat
Wild one

Bushrat is a shiny, shiny jewelBushrat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleprince View Post
But a couple of weeks ago the publisher contacted me and said she loved it! Now she is showing it to god knows who, and I am chewing all my fingernails off and my heart skips a little every time I see I have an email. The waiting is SO painful
Oh, I know! I wish a medically induced coma would be available until the answers are in
I'm chewing with you (my own nails, though!) - just sent my revised thriller off to my agent, and now it's wait and see how the publisher likes it.

Do you have another manuscript to work on? That helps somewhat, I find.
Bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #57
thelittleprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Oh, I know! I wish a medically induced coma would be available until the answers are in
I'm chewing with you (my own nails, though!) - just sent my revised thriller off to my agent, and now it's wait and see how the publisher likes it.

Do you have another manuscript to work on? That helps somewhat, I find.
I am unfortunately incredibly time poor at the moment, so finding writing time is difficult

We are in the same game, then! I just want to know one way or another!!! Sending good vibes to the publisher with your thriller in his/her hands
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #58
Bushrat
Wild one

Bushrat is a shiny, shiny jewelBushrat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Maybe you can brainstorm a new plot if there's not enough spare time for writing?

Just found out that the publisher's department head is off on a two-week holiday - left the day I sent off my manuscript. *sigh*
Bushrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #59
thelittleprince

Aaaargh, I feel your pain, Bushrat.

And my R&R just got accepted for publication! So there is hope, everyone
Old 04-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #60
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
I'm going to check in here just because. I've got an R&R that went out in October. Consoled myself with some ice cream on its six-month anniversary a few weeks ago. I've made one polite nudge at the three-month mark, but I haven't nudged since then. I've been trying to work on my new ms and put it out of my mind.

On the lighter side, I've found a creative way to keep track of the wait: pounds the new baby has gained since I submitted. ^_^

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #61
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
I nudged at the end of April (4 months mark). Now we twiddle thumbs...

Katrina, I am glad I'm not alone on the R&R silence. I felt like I was very alone bc everyone I knew heard right away!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
How are we doing, revisers? I'm waiting for the second round of revision notes from my agent, so I thought I'd check in back here and say hi.

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote