Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
JoAnn B.
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JoAnn B. is on a distinguished road
Historical. I like the variety that different times and places offer.
JoAnn B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
NicolaD
This will all make sense tomorrow

NicolaD is on a distinguished road
Regency historical. Just love the time period.
FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
---
Represented by Jessica Alvarez at Bookends Literary
His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) available now from Entangled Publishing. Squee!
NicolaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #28
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Historical romance...Victorian Britain.

Also considering contemporary...at some unknown point in the future. Maybe.

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
gingerwoman
Wicked Safari release date March3rd

gingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to beholdgingerwoman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbrown View Post
Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!

To find actively acquiring publishers and agents visit my blog
http://lisawhitefern.wordpress.com/
gingerwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #30
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would love to know! Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical?
ElaineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #31
ElaineA
Back in the saddle

ElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsElaineA is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerwoman View Post
Yes I kind of want to write everything. I have about 10 books trying to write themselves making it hard to focus on the one at hand. I dream of writing a time travel novel one day but I have so many other ideas it seems pretty far down the track. One of the books I'm reading right now is the novelisation of the movie "The Butterfly Effect" (the movie had Ashton Kucher in it if you've seen it.) I have a Sci Fi erotic romance in my head that I want to write and a gay BD/SM story that is probably contemp, an erotic sci fi. a ghost menage and various other plot bunnies attacking me. Help!
Gay, erotic, ghost bunnies? AWESOME!
ElaineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
MeganJoWrites
Superpowers: Making babies, writing

MeganJoWrites is well-respected
I like to write contemporary and for some reason, my gravitation is toward the New Adult subgenre. I love the college-age time period in our lives, when we are trying to figure everything out. I love how intense relationships are at that age.

I actually started writing the series I'm working on before I knew "New Adult" existed. Glad it does, since that's what I wrote!

Website/blog: meganerickson.org
MeganJoWrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
gcsalamon
Gina

gcsalamon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Mayburn View Post
Everything. Seriously. If a plot strikes and the muse is insistent I write it.

I just had to say: I LOVE your book covers!!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #34
gcsalamon
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
Mine has a modern beginning and end, time-travel to ancient Pompeii in the middle, with the time travel instigated by a devil. What is that? Paranormal? Time Travel? Historical?
Contemporary - fantasy, I might say. Depends on several factors.

For instance, how much does your devil play into the story? if he's a major part of the entire story line, not just the cause of the time-travel, then maybe paranormal is correct. I wouldn't tout it as paranormal, though, unless the paranormal element encompasses the entire story.

Since you start in the present and go back to it, I would guess that your MCs are contemporary, so I wouldn't consider it a historical.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #35
gcsalamon
Gina

I lean toward romantic-suspense myself, but darn it if a paranormal element doesn't manage to slip itself in there!

My last MS was probably somewhere along the lines of a Jayne Ann Krentz Arcane novel feel. Romance surrounded by a mystery, with a strong paranormal element. Or perhaps spiritual is more correct since it involves Heaven and guardian angels.

My current WIP still has a strong paranormal involvement, (ghosts this time) but less so. It's more mystery and suspense that surrounds the romance, forcing the paranormal to take a back seat. Probably more along the lines of Julie Garwood's contemporary series with her hunky FBI men, although she has no paranormal elements in sight.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #36
htrent
practical experience, FTW

htrent is on a distinguished road
I just finished a glut of novel-length contemporaries, so I'm taking an erotic paranormal break. I expect they'll be plenty silly.
htrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
SelmaW
Follow your heart; take your brain

SelmaW is well-respected
Loving reading about everyone's subgenres! I write romantic suspense, for the most part
SelmaW is offline   Reply With Quote