Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #201
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, didn't do anything yesterday, but I just typed 1000 words on a short story. It'll probably wind up being about 2500-3000 words when finished.

I think I might take a break from editing for today... Get my mind recharged a bit.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #202
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
1668 words in two hours

fuck me swinging.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter
bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #203
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's not too bad, Bettie. Could have been less.

I've been... Studying. And reading. Yeah. Productive things. (when I'm not sleeping...)

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
xXVampyrePrincessXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #204
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wrote another 1000 words, and it's getting pretty close to the end of the short story. Need to go to the shops soon, though, so I'm taking a break.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #205
Cliff Face

2783 words written, and the short story's first draft is finished. Now I think I'll try to relax for the rest of the evening. My eyes are already feeling heavy, and it's not even 6pm yet!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #206
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
Getting in some editing time on the lunch break.

Please pretend I preface all my advice posts with "There are no rules, but if there were..."

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #207
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Psyching myself up for a big editing push tonight. (I can do it... I can do it...)
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
MS5 Southern Gothic Fantasy (WIP)
WendyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #208
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
You can do it!

Please pretend I preface all my advice posts with "There are no rules, but if there were..."

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #209
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
You can do it!

--

Probably going to spend most of my time on homework. I don't know what's wrong with me lately. It's like I just can't write. I don't know what's going on. I mean I want to. But I just....I don't know....either I have nothing to say or I don't know what to say.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #210
ShadowFox
practical experience, FTW

ShadowFox is well-respected
Took yesterday off, wrote 1600 today to finish off this weeks short story.

Two rejections, too.

Rest of week focus on the novel.

ShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #211
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputationwampuscat has a double-platinum reputation
Hope you all are doing well! My writing goals went down the tubes this weekend. Blech. Still working on it, but more slowly than I'd hoped. And I let myself get derailed by a shiny new idea. I felt like I had to at least write down the idea before it poofed out of my brain.

BTW, Bettielee, 1600 in two hours isn't so bad. I average 1K an hour when I'm in first-draft mode.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #212
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

xXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsxXVampyrePrincessXx is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Maybe I'm just a bit dazed and read my email wrong, but I think I was just offered the job...

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #213
franky_s
WIP - Writer In Progress

franky_s has a spectacular aura
Oh wow, Nice one Vampyre. Congrats!

I have just hit by Jan goal of 25K!
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #214
Cliff Face

Congrats Vamp and Franky!

I have a bit of a conundrum... Yesterday I wrote nearly 3k words, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's been too long since I wrote new words, and they came so easily.

So now all I want to do is write fresh words. But I need to finish editing TEC to send it out to agents, and after that there are 2 more I should edit to get them out there as well. I don't *need* to write fresh words.

Ack! With that in mind, I just edited the short story. It's already reading pretty well, so I don't have a lot left to change in it. And my editing technique is pretty finely-tuned now, after December's massive overhaul on TEC.

I need to just power through the edits on TEC, but I'm sick of that book right now. I've spent more time with TEC over the years than on any other project of mine... Probably more than all my other writing projects put together.

I think if I can finish this edit on TEC by early February, I'll give myself a week of just writing fresh words. Not nearly enough actual writing during the break so far!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #215
franky_s
WIP - Writer In Progress

franky_s has a spectacular aura
Thanks Cliff Face. And good luck with the editing. Just keep imagining TEC sitting up on the new releases shelf at Dymocks... if that helps?
franky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #216
Cliff Face

It should help.

Right now, though... I've overdosed on the story. I understand how some authors say that by the time the story is published, they never want to see it again.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #217
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Well, I'm probably going to go to bed soon. I just want to finish working on a little bit of homework before I do.

And I didn't write at all today. But that's fine. I'm basically just still on my writing break thing.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #218
WendyN
Write... edit... rinse... repeat.

WendyN is a shiny, shiny jewelWendyN is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
So now all I want to do is write fresh words. But I need to finish editing TEC to send it out to agents, and after that there are 2 more I should edit to get them out there as well. I don't *need* to write fresh words.
Time for a break from editing, maybe? Shelve it for a few weeks?

---

Worked through editing 3 chapters last night (whew!). I think I'll read them over once more today to see if I missed anything, and then try to cover as much ground again tonight.
MS3 Historical Fic w/ Fantasy Elements
MS4 Shiny Futuristic Space Odyssey (WIP)
MS5 Southern Gothic Fantasy (WIP)
WendyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #219
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

Thanks, guys. 9:30 to 1:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I start next week.

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #220
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson has a spectacular aura
Got more changes in to the computer last night, and hit the first of my markers, so that's good. The next chunk is where more of the current content is, but also where most of the cutting is Should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXVampyrePrincessXx View Post
I think I was just offered the job...
Whoot! That's great!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 AM   #221
Cliff Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKlein View Post
Time for a break from editing, maybe? Shelve it for a few weeks?
Nah, I don't want to do that. I want this book done and dusted, ready to be submitted ASAP. Then I can focus on something else.

But I think once it's fully edited, I'll start writing fresh words on another project. Not sure which one right now... Maybe my contemporary fantasy? I was enjoying that one, but haven't touched it in a long time. (Work and then Uni and then editing got in the way.)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #222
Cliff Face

Did another edit on the short story, adding 100 words. I can't put it off any longer though - I need to get back to editing TEC.

You know, it was last Friday that I last edited it, and it's Thursday now. Nearly a whole week, and I'm still sick of it... Yeah, just need to power through and send it off.

ETA: I go through phases. Sometimes I think TEC is an awesome book and that I'll get it published one day. Other times, I think it'll never be good enough. Guess which one it's been this last week?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #223
xXVampyrePrincessXx
likes a colorful font

The second one?

(Thanks, bd )

~Amber~

{Vampyre Princess}
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #224
Cliff Face

Mmm, the second one. Although I just edited chapter 12, and didn't think it was too bad. I guess I'm past the "Argh!" stage.

Added 100 words. I'm finding I'm not really deleting anything in this pass. Anything that does get chopped instantly gets replaced with a better line or three. Must mean I'm happier with the overall story.

By the way, what sort of work will you be doing, Vamp?

ETA: 12 down, 15 to go. Slowly getting there!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #225
bdwilson
Dedicated Lurker

bdwilson has a spectacular aura
Ugh, Cliff, I hate the "Argh!" stage. I hope you are through it

Managed to get in a little editing last night. I'm working on a section that needs tweaking as well as cutting, which is kind of fun to do on the fly. At least for now. I may not think so in a little while