Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW's IRC Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Rockweaver
practical experience, FTW

Rockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputation
? chat page down ??? 1-22-2013

i have been trying to connect and i keep getting the same message every time tonight

"
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

did not know if anyone else was having this problem

s

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Growing old is required. Growing up not so much.
Rockweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm "timing out" with the StarChat software not loading in time.

Usually when this sort of thing happens, somebody's on it, but it may not be a fast fix, depending on the cause. Might be a good writing night, or reading...
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
I'm "timing out" with the StarChat software not loading in time.

Usually when this sort of thing happens, somebody's on it, but it may not be a fast fix, depending on the cause. Might be a good writing night, or reading...
StarChat depends on Java, not JavaScript, but the Java binary.

Recently Java has been labeled as unsafe by all manner of folk. Some security software on Windows will disable Java automatically.

Were I a regular habitué of AW Chat, I'd get an IRC Client.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey Rockweaver. I've been in the room this afternoon for a quite a while and no one mentioned connection issues. Do you use Mibbit, by chance? Lately a lot of people who do have been having issues with it.

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Rockweaver

Rockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputationRockweaver has a double-platinum reputation
i am on FF and just use the connection via the link here its a java script not sure if that is answering your question or not ?

i should mention that i have run all updates, and my AV software so on my side the system is fine. also all the other sites are working for me.

Happiness is like a bird. The damn thing keeps flying away. Next time I find it I will shoot it and have it stuffed.
ME

Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
KitCat

KitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of lightKitCat is a glorious beacon of light
the java site is probly down today or somethin's bein funky (very technical term, I know lol), if you follow Medievalist's link for IRC programs, you can access the room by IRC itself instead of using the java connnection.
Usually on Twitter
Lives in AW Chat
Part of AW's own Crit Circle 2014
KitCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Rockweaver

if i have any sanity when i get home in 16 hours i may give it a try

ME

Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
StarChat depends on Java, not JavaScript, but the Java binary.

Recently Java has been labeled as unsafe by all manner of folk. Some security software on Windows will disable Java automatically.

Were I a regular habitué of AW Chat, I'd get an IRC Client.
Actually, StarChat.net is a true IRC service, with several servers. They are fully capable with all IRC Clients, such as you suggest, and as well, they implement a javachat entry. This is the javachat link we provide elsewhere in the forum.

I agree completely with Medievalist that if you have plans to visit the chat room more than once, and for sure if you plan do visit there on a regular basis, by ALL MEANS, obtain a true IRC client. There are many. A good percentage of those available are free, or require a one-time fee, which will provide you with periodic updates as software improves.

Personally, I use mIRC, for the main reason that I'm familiar with it. It isn't fancy, but it does everything I need a chat client to do. StarChat provides its own customized version of PIRCH, called StarPIRCH, for free, I believe. You can obtain that from their website: StarChat.net.