Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Now We're Cookin'!
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #501
Hankleton
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Hankleton is on a distinguished road
Living in the middle of nowhere and not planning my weekly shop very well means for the third night it's homemade vegie land lamb soup with homemade Turkish garlic bread.
Hankleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #502
MaryMumsy
the original blond bombshell

MaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Last night was chicken enchiladas. Tonight, who knows? I have to figure out lunch first.

MM

That is Mae West, not me.
MaryMumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #503
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Sarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My Nanny walked in the door with a crockpot of Chicken and rice today. Goodness, I love her and her chicken and rice. Can't wait to get home to the kids and the crockpot

Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.~ Hugo
Sarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #504
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita View Post
My Nanny walked in the door with a crockpot of Chicken and rice today. Goodness, I love her and her chicken and rice. Can't wait to get home to the kids and the crockpot
Still needing a Nanny at your age?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Happy Thanksgiving

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #505
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Sarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSarita is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Still needing a Nanny at your age?
Yes, well... the governess got sick of my shenanigans.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #506
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita View Post
Yes, well... the governess got sick of my shenanigans.

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Happy Thanksgiving

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #507
French Maiden
practical experience, FTW

French Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admirationFrench Maiden has earned our admiration
Marinated chicken thich fillets.
So good and easy too.
French Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #508
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Maiden View Post
Marinated chicken thich fillets.
So good and easy too.
I'm making lemon caper chicken thighs tonight! Side salad with lemon-garlic vinaigrette and brown rice.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #509
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudge
For breakfast, we had caramelized bananas on paratha. SO yummy and so, no, not something we can have very frequently. Unfortunately. Massive sugar attack.

Laurie Ashton Farook

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate

L M Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #510
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Breakfast mug scrambler.

1/2 cup egg substitute
3 pre-cooked turkey sausages
2 pounds tablespoons shredded low-fat cheese

Spray inside of 15-16 oz. microwave safe mug with cooking spray. Mix the rest of the ingredients in mug, using only 1 pound tablespoon of cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir then microwave 30 seconds.

Here's where the recipe and I disagree. It says it'll be ready after this 1.5 minutes but I had to microwave it again for 1 more minute. YMMV, obviously.

Remove from microwave. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Not bad.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #511
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tonight we're having a beef-and-rice dish I adapted from a stew meat recipe.

1 - 1.5 lbs ground sirloin (or other good ground beef)
2.5 C beef stock
1/2 C red wine
1 - 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
1 - 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 - 2 sprigs fresh thyme
salt & pepper

1.5 C rice

Brown the beef in a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven with a good tight-fitting lid (you can use a little olive oil, or butter, or bacon fat; you can add chopped bacon to this if you like, which is very good). Don't use a skillet. Add the stock, wine, Worcestershire, and fresh herbs, and season. Let simmer for half an hour or so.

Add the rice and stir. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

It's a nice gloopy comfort dish. The rice will absorb all of most of the liquid, so it's almost like a risotto, but much faster and easier, really. Makes great leftovers.

(To make it with stew beef, which is my preference but the hubs prefers ground, use 2 - 3 lbs of stew beef. Brown in batches, and scrape up the fond when you add the liquids. Simmer for 2.5 - 3 hours before adding the rice [but cut the rice to 1 1/4 cup]; the rice still cooks for 30 minutes.)

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #512
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Spicy noodles with peanut sauce. Sauce is done, just need to cook the spaghetti at dinnertime

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #513
Sarita
PBS Mind/MTV World

I am trying out crockpot mac and cheese. I'm skeptical.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #514
Windcutter
starry sunrise

Windcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to behold
My own version of risotto which has no business being called that. But it's easy and light, and I actually prefer it.

Long grain rice. Good rice. Everything here depends on rice being good.
Tomatoes. A lot.
Bell pepper.
Dry red wine.
Soy sauce.
Basil.
Salt, pepper or chili powder or tabasco.
Garlic is optional, and so is jalapeño.
Cheese.

Cook: rice. Just basic steamed rice. Al dente.
Chop: tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño. Really small pieces.
Mix: wine, soy sauce, spices, herbs.
Put: the sauce mix and the veggie mix into the rice.
Cover: with lid.
Wait: 5-15 minutes.
Grate: cheese.
Sprinkle: cheese on top when serving.
Windcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #515
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My son wanted to make buffalo chicken quesadillas for dinner tonight - so I'm letting him.

Why not?

"When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won.
Don’t let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #516
Jehhillenberg
More like the queen of typos. Oops!

Jehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJehhillenberg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had a beefsteak & cheese sandwich and a side baked potato. I was very satisfied

"What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities...transform the world and rewrite all the rules." - Inception

"I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have an actual recipe for grandeur." - Limitless
Jehhillenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 AM   #517
L M Ashton
crazy spec fic writer

L M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudgeL M Ashton is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm making fried chicken today. I have a couple of different versions. What I've found, though, is that it tastes *so* much better if I marinate the chicken in chilli powder and salt at least overnight before I do the rest of it. It's become almost magical.

I'm also thinking of making naan today. They might even be ready for lunch if I get moving on that...

As for vegetables? Haven't figured that out yet.

Laurie Ashton Farook

Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | LinkedIn | Walking the World | Chilli & Chocolate

L M Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #518
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband is making pasta with pancetta and leeks. (I think he's tossing it with extra virgin olive oil.)

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #519
Hip-Hop-a-potamus
My rhymes are bottomless

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudgeHip-Hop-a-potamus is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I went back to Weight Watchers yesterday after gaining back a bunch of the weight I lost in 2011. I made a WW variation on a French-flavored dish last night. It's in a cookbook called "In Season" for the winter section.

Mustard-Spiced Cabbage with White Beans and Sausages.

Exactly what it sounds like. I used 2 turkey kielbasa sausages, and you cut them lengthwise.

Cook the sausages in a non-stick skillet for a few minutes, add about a cup and a half of chopped onion. Then add 1 t. fennel seeds, 1 t. ground cardamom and 2 cloves garlic.

After that's cooked a few minutes, add 5 cups chopped cabbage and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cook covered for about 10 minutes till cabbage wilts.

Drain and rinse the can of white beans and add to the pan along with 1 t. dried thyme.

Not bad, and nice and filling for a winter night.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #520
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Italian! Meatballs, good ragu, and gonna try bracciole! Have only done it once before, years ago. Gonna give it a shot but my go-to sources are no longer available. Any good Italian cooks on here who can help? Stormie?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #521
amy--amy
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

amy--amy is on a distinguished road
Tandori chicken.

The powder for the sauce comes from the supermarket, and the rice has already been tossed with spices at the factory: how easy can life be?!
amy--amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #522
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Italian! Meatballs, good ragu, and gonna try bracciole! Have only done it once before, years ago. Gonna give it a shot but my go-to sources are no longer available. Any good Italian cooks on here who can help? Stormie?

I've made braciole a couple of times, and have a couple of recipes; I wouldn't say I'm any kind of expert, but what sort of help are you looking for?

(ETA: Funnily enough, I am also making Italian tonight, with a shortcut bolognese [no soffreto].)

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #523
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I've made braciole a couple of times, and have a couple of recipes; I wouldn't say I'm any kind of expert, but what sort of help are you looking for?

(ETA: Funnily enough, I am also making Italian tonight, with a shortcut bolognese [no soffreto].)
Sorry I missed your response last night. I was first going to ask if it was okay to use a real thin cut of sirloin steak instead of round or flank. Also, there are a lot of different ideas on what goes inside. I improvised- used hard boiled eggs, parsley, romano, chopped garlic and onions, and I saw where one recipe asked for something like croutons. I had some two day old Italian bread and fried cubes in olive oil and garlic, figuring the harder they were the less likely they'd get soggy while cooking in the sauce. Well, it didn't work- that part didn't anyway. They were soggy after the braciole cooked in my tomato sauce for almost two hours. Long story short, the sirloin was fine- the rolls stayed in tact and the meat was tender. Still, if I would have gotten this in a good Italian restaurant I would have sent it back.
(Not really. I'm told that's when they spit on your braciole)
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #524
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Just saw this and wish I could've helped, but I've never made bracciole nor did my mother, and it's not in her favorite Italian cookbook from the 1950s. (The Talisman Italian Cookbook)

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #525
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Quote:
Sorry I missed your response last night. I was first going to ask if it was okay to use a real thin cut of sirloin steak instead of round or flank. Also, there are a lot of different ideas on what goes inside. I improvised- used hard boiled eggs, parsley, romano, chopped garlic and onions, and I saw where one recipe asked for something like croutons. I had some two day old Italian bread and fried cubes in olive oil and garlic, figuring the harder they were the less likely they'd get soggy while cooking in the sauce. Well, it didn't work- that part didn't anyway. They were soggy after the braciole cooked in my tomato sauce for almost two hours. Long story short, the sirloin was fine- the rolls stayed in tact and the meat was tender. Still, if I would have gotten this in a good Italian restaurant I would have sent it back.
(Not really. I'm told that's when they spit on your braciole)

Ah, sorry. I didn't look at the timestamp on your post, so my bad, not yours.

The recipe I had used a mixture of minced garlic, parsley, and ricotta, if memory serves, with a little parmesan and nutmeg; rather similar, actually, to the filling I use for manicotti, which is one reason I chose it. I actually thought both the filling and the sauce in the recipe as written seemed bland, but it worked when it was cooked, so I stuck with it.

I use flank for mine, but if the sirloin works, hey, sounds good to me!