Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Publishing FAQs and Resources
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[About] Submit Suggestions for FAQ Topics and Resources thread

Please watch out for good resources (books as well as online sources) about publishing and the more practical aspects of being a writer and send them to me, either via email or via PM on Absolute Write.

Feel free to suggest FAQ topics or categories, as well as links to posts and threads on AW itself.

You can post questions or suggestions here in this thread or PM them to me or MacAllister or CaoPaux or Old Hack, or evilrooster.

Please only PM ONE of us. You don't want us cross-posting over each other; it could bring down the entire Internet.

Thanks--

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.

Last edited by AW Admin; 05-10-2012 at 11:14 PM.
AW Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Feel free to use any or all of my not-a-FAQ. Or not use it; it's entirely up to you.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HapiSofi View Post
Feel free to use any or all of my not-a-FAQ. Or not use it; it's entirely up to you.
I just repped you (Rep Comments) but I will take you up on that with alacrity ma'am. And thanks much.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
I'd like to see a full description of the publishing process from acceptance to backlisting. All the players at every point, what they do. I saw this on an agent's website once and THOUGHT I bookmarked it, but didn't!
Miss Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Stacia had a great post in another thread about how the editing process is supposed to work. I think it'd be awesome to have that (or something like it) linked somewhere.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Theo81
Benefactor Member

Theo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputation
I'd like to see an FAQ on the differences between publishing/submitting in the UK and the US (and any other markets we can find information on). Stuff like - what's the difference between a query and a covering letter? This agent is recommending I use an editing service like Cornerstones, are they trying to scam me?
Theo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't looked for this yet, so it may already exist, but do we have any kind of commonly used terms with definitions? Especially in self-publishing, I've seen indie, self-published, direct-to-reader all used interchangeably. Also, traditional publisher and trade publisher and book formats (e-book, paperback, etc.). Many times there is confusion when someone is referring to self-publishing when what they have written is e-publishing. That one really sparks a quick response. I don't know if it would help to have a list of definitions, but it seems when threads get derailed due to wording issues, it would be nice to be able to simply direct someone to the common words/definition page rather than having a back-and-forth exchange time and time again.

ETA: I see there is one, but I think I'm talking about something a bit different in that I didn't see any of the terms I mentioned above in Janet Reid's article. Most of her references seemed to be geared toward trade publishing terms (although certainly not all of the words were specifically for trade publishing only).

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Plum View Post
I'd like to see a full description of the publishing process from acceptance to backlisting. All the players at every point, what they do. I saw this on an agent's website once and THOUGHT I bookmarked it, but didn't!
This.

BUT first I'd like a map or step-by-step outline of the publishing process from the time a WIP is completed to the time it's accepted. I THINK it goes like this: 1. Finished MS. 2. Synposis 3. Query Letter (Hell) 4. Agent/Publisher research 5. Submission

BUT I could be wrong. And under Submission would come subheadings . . . I think . . . maybe?
WriteMinded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
wonderactivist
practical experience, FTW

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
I just wanted to suggest a very good resource on contracts. Kristen Nelson's Agenting 101 blog posts lead you from deal points when you get an offer through specific clauses and language in the contract--more clearly than anything else I have read online. She points out specific terms for rights, royalties, payouts, etc. I recommend this resource more than anything else listed. Wish I had seen this before getting my first offer.

Here's the first post:
http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2006/06...-part-one.html
(the listing of Agenting 101 posts is in the lower right column.)

Also, I am unable to open the 101 document on the Science Fiction Writers site. Are they now limiting access to their members?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteMinded View Post
This.

BUT first I'd like a map or step-by-step outline of the publishing process from the time a WIP is completed to the time it's accepted. I THINK it goes like this: 1. Finished MS. 2. Synposis 3. Query Letter (Hell) 4. Agent/Publisher research 5. Submission

BUT I could be wrong. And under Submission would come subheadings . . . I think . . . maybe?
Thing is, that process isn't always the same. Some agents want one thing, some another. For instance, there might be a synopsis and there might not. There's really no need to research publishers until you are actually offered a deal. It would still be a good subject for a sticky, but in the meantime you could ask about that at the Ask the Agent forum.

For what it's worth, the usual AW process seems to be:
  1. Finish the MS.
  2. Write a query letter (Hell).
  3. Research agents.
  4. Submit per their requirements -- query only, query + synopsis, query + first ten pages, whatever.
  5. Assess any offers of rep according to various considerations that you can ask about in Ask the Agent.
That is a bare-bones checklist that could use a paragraph of expansion on each point. Anyone, please amend as needed!

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

And lo! Random House provides some info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FlnA...feature=relmfu

It's a Random House promo rather than a tutorial, but it does give a look at the process.

Incidentally, another on producing audio books:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_uP...feature=relmfu
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
WriteMinded
Derailed

WriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputationWriteMinded has a double-platinum reputation
Thank you, Miss Plum!!
WriteMinded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Got another outline of the publication process, which INCLUDES querying:

http://www.dsmagency.com/published.html
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Found another essay on process:

http://www.jplm.com/advice.php
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #15
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
Finding resources

I'm sticking this here because I think it's most relevant - but not sure. And maybe it's been covered but I couldn't think of the right search terms. Anyway...

Every time I see someone post a link to an article about writing, publishing, agents, etc, I wonder - how do they find these things? I've done some googling for blogs but there are thousands - so how do I know which ones to choose to follow (I've been running about 50/50 worthwhile versus junk so far)? And which publications are actually knowledgeable versus just attention-grabbing (I guess "news" type versus "this is my opinion" type)?

I'd like to be able to keep up with the latest discussions/articles/whatever, but I don't want to spend all my time on the 'net either, so I guess I'm wondering if there's a recommended list somewhere here (or if one could be developed) so we could keep up with things in a time-well-spent manner?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #16
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Since no one else is willing to share their secrets .... For the most part, I start with someone/thing I trust (i.e., Writer Beware Blogs!), and take note of who/what they link to, with further note of who/what they to, etc. Keeping within, say, three degrees of separation gives me a core list of the major who/what/where/why without becoming overwhelming.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #17
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I follow a bunch of blogs/sites from people I know, or from people in areas I'm interested in via subscribing to them in Google Reader.

I choose who/what to follow based on whether I know them personally, i.e. in life or from AW, for instance, or if they're a reputable site/publication.

I also follow a bunch of people on Twitter, organized into lists. Lots of them re-tweet smart stuff, as well as post their own links.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
AW Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

There doesn't seem to be a single thread stickied anywhere here about how to write a nonfiction book proposal. We could use one in both the nonfiction and memoir forums, as well as here.

If you can't find a better expert, I'll give write it up, if you like.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
kingsley
figuring it all out

kingsley is on a distinguished road
eCub

I hope someone "in charge" reads this.

I would like to see eCub added to the list of useful publishing software. I use it for creating mobi and ePub files from HTML source, and i think it is the best available software for the DIY power user. It's also cross platform so it works on Mac, Windows, etc.

Just trying to give back some to the community!
kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:02 AM   #20
Angry Guy
It's not easy being green

Angry Guy is a shiny, shiny jewelAngry Guy is a shiny, shiny jewel
I think we may need a meta-FAQ, or a FAQ that tells you where to find FAQs on given subjects - a FAQ-FAQ (that sounds like I'm angry. Oh, wait...)

It's become very fractured -- the problem isn't insufficient information, it's too much data.
-- Calvin
Angry Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #21
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Guy View Post
I think we may need a meta-FAQ, or a FAQ that tells you where to find FAQs on given subjects - a FAQ-FAQ (that sounds like I'm angry. Oh, wait...)

It's become very fractured -- the problem isn't insufficient information, it's too much data.
A dead giveaway is looking for subforums and threads with FAQ in their title.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
Evelyn_Alexie
figuring it all out

Evelyn_Alexie is on a distinguished road
Sometimes it must be a terrible temptation to throw up your hands and say "FAQ it all!"

That said, a FAQ TOC might help the clueless newbies such as moi.