Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Bulletin Board
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #76
Clueless
Going on a mental vacation.

Clueless is on a distinguished road
I always wished that I would have a great adventure. One of those where I learned something new about myself as I vanquished my foes. With swords. I was obsessed with learning how to use a sword.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #77
Clueless
Going on a mental vacation.

Clueless is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb the Creative View Post
This is going to sound rather ridiculous...

But as a child, my mom would tell me that the brain could do anything. Like if you can convince it strong enough, it can do anything you wish it to.

So...I tried to convince my brain that I should have wings XD. I would stand in front of a mirror and tried to picture having wings as strongly as I could.

...unfortunately, no results. Sigh. lol
I remember as a kid I argued with my mom about the possibility of having wings. It started off as a simple question that grew until it consumed 3 years of my life as I tried to find an answer. I even created a theory based on Darwin's theory of evolution. My mom indulged me just enough to keep my attention on the subject.

This is the same woman who convinced me that I was a mutant that was growing a third ear.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #78
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #79
chrysalnix
practical experience, FTW

chrysalnix is on a distinguished road
I tried knocking on trees after the branch had been cut away from it, leaving an oval shaped "doorway" to somewhere awesome. No one ever answered the door.

Alternate worlds were always a big thing with me. When I used to go swimming, one side of the pool would be a normal place, but then I'd swim to the opposite side and it was a magical place. If we'd actually owned a pool, I'd have probably ended up at the Olympics one day from so many otherworld travels.
chrysalnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #80
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
What a wonderful thread to resurrect.

A unicorn. I wanted a unicorn more than anything in the world. I used to go to sleep every night and pray that when I woke up there would be a unicorn on the foot of my bed waiting for me. And every morning I woke up hoping and hoping it would be there.

I recently had a dream that I flew to a special magic land and there was a unicorn and it was the Best. Dream. Ever. It's so silly to say that, but you have no idea how much just seeing that unicorn filled my whole heart with joy.
We Unicorns do that, you know.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #81
bluntforcetrauma
Esquire

bluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbluntforcetrauma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just wanted to fly away from all my pain...I'm still running.

(Ecclesiastes 9:16)
bluntforcetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #82
Nightingale

Nightingale is on a distinguished road
Goonies was my favorite movie as a kid so I always wished for some incredible adventure, full of mystery and danger. Everytime it rained I created some kind of treasure map to follow through my neighborhood LOL!
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
hingraham
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

hingraham is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudieQ View Post
I wanted to wish my way to Mars like John Carter. (Edger Rice Burroughs)
YESSSSS!!! I'm not the only one! (This is always one of the joys of the Internet, finding out you're not alone.)

Still love the Barsoomian books. Didn't go near the movie, like so many. They seemed to get it half right, alas, which is worse than so wrong you can consider the names an eerie coincidence.
hingraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #84
Patrick.K

Patrick.K is on a distinguished road
Wink

I always wanted too be in a medieval era, where magic ran rampant and the forests where infested by demons and I would be part some sort of crusade as a paladin fighting evil for my country and going on glorified quests.

First book i read was on my own was Oath Bound Wizard by Christopher Stasheff I preferred more of magical knight over a wizard though haha
Patrick.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #85
mugwort

mugwort is on a distinguished road
I wished for to see a real dinosaur. And no I don't go back that far. lol
Old 05-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #86
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bunch of us kids got together and tried to dig a tunnel to Disneyland, about 14 miles away from my house. We made it as far as the neighbor's backyard, where a few tons of dirt collapsed, ruining his lawn. Thank God none of us were hurt. We had to fill it in and re-seed it, as punishment.
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #87
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i used to munch on my grandmothers gaillardias. the petals were the same color and shape as corn candy, so i figured they must taste the same. of course they didn't but that didn't stop me from sampling and spitting. blanket flower is the one flower i refuse to grow because i know how nasty it tastes--s6
shakeysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #88
Working Spy
Reading is my eye candy!

Working Spy is on a distinguished road
Little kid dreamin'

I rode my bike to all the huge (well, to a 6 year old) homes being built along the lake and dreamed of designing my own. Of course that took money - even I knew that - so, of course there was a Fairy God Mother with buckets of the stuff...too pragmatic? Story of my life.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #89
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have been thinking about childhood portals since I stumbled across this thread. Something weird happened to me the summer between sixth and seventh grade. Actually, that's not quite right. Nothing really happened but whatever didn't happen, it scared the hell out of me.

I was with another girl, a classmate named Rita. We lived in a small town, Great Bend, Kansas. I lived on 26th street. Rita lived a few blocks to the west. At the time Great Bend had a population of maybe ten thousand. It was an oilfield town and there were strangers passing through town looking for work.

My grandmother lived on the east side of town, on Frey Street. Rita and I used to ride our bikes in the morning, often over to Frey Street. This particular morning we were late getting home. It was about ten a.m. and starting to get hot. We decided to find some shade and rest.

We were headed north, riding on a dirt road that was more or less parallel to the highway overpass. This road was bordered by open fields on the right, a few houses were in sight on the left. There was an arrowhead shaped grove of trees in a field, a little ways from the dirt road. When I say grove, i mean about ten to twelve trees, well spaced.

I don't know what kind of trees they were but they were all the same. I didn't know the names of many trees then. They were not very tall, the trunks were slender. I could easily have circled one with my hands. The trees were planted like someone would rack billiard balls. The first tree pointed north, then there were two trees, then three. Like that. Lots of grass between the trees, lots of space, no rusted out cars or junk.

We parked our bikes and settled under a tree. I think we said something about chiggers but not much else because we were winded. And then I had the shudders, just all over cold and trembly.

I thought I was sick from the heat but then I had the impression someone was staring, glaring at me, right between my shoulder blades. I was an imaginative kid ( I read a lot of Bradbury. )and kind of sensitive about it, so I was looking around for a reasonable explanation. I had just decided that there was no one in the grove when Rita jumped up and said "Let's get out of here! Someone is watching us!"

We ran our bikes to the road and tore out for the houses. All the way I could feel a rushing just behind me. I was really frightened. I felt like something dark was following us. Maybe a man. I was too frightened to stop and look but when I tried to look over my shoulder i couldn't see anyone. We stopped at a friend's sister's house first. I remember pounding on the door in a panic but no one was home. And no one was behind us.

We went around the block to my grandmother's house but didn't go in. By then we were embarrassed to be so frightened of nothing. We sat behind her chicken house for a while and talked it out. I thought someone, maybe a hobo, had been running just behind us on the road. Rita said, no, whatever it was, had been over us all the way to Frey street. We rode home through the center of town. We even dodged the trees in the city park.

Of course we used to tell it at slumber parties and it always got bigger and scarier--wings and teeth and the ghost of a demented hobo. We didn't stay friends once we got to high school but we did talk about it once in high school. We decided that no real person could have been in that grove because we would have seen him.

The grove of trees was there until the eighties. I told my daughters the story but not the exact spot because I didn't want them to explore. I always thought about walking through it with my camera but my feet failed me. Then one day it was knocked down. After a while I decided that it was all imagination but when my mother died we were cleaning closets and I found a diary from that summer. The story was there, in bare bones. So something did happen. Although nothing happened.--s6

Last edited by shakeysix; 05-31-2012 at 07:35 PM.
shakeysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #90
Patrick.K

Patrick.K is on a distinguished road
Wow that story sent shivers of my spine reading at 3 a.m. in the morning good way too get me thinking my cats someone in my house O.o
Patrick.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #91
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's quite a story.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #92
gswillis04
Gonna finish it. Really. Tomorrow.

gswillis04 is on a distinguished road
Portals. Those wonderful portals.

Narnia and Middle Earth. I always wanted to visit those places and many others I found later. Even in my 20s I wanted to go there. I wanted adventure! I wanted to be the hero! Alas, while I read those books over and over as a kid, wishing to travel to those lands, I stayed the scared little nerd boy surrounded by drooling, brutish rednecks in the deep south.
gswillis04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #93
Holly Green
bug-magnet

Holly Green is on a distinguished road
Quote:
MacAllister--I spent rather a lot of time exploring the insides of the wardrobe in my parents' room, coat closets, oversized boxes and the insides of cupboards, hoping fervently to find a portal of my own.
You mean...you don't still look...? The moth ball fumes I've inhaled over the years...

Quote:
LGwenn--I wanted to talk to animals. And then I was going to go live with them far far away from my crazy family.
I wanted to be able to talk to animals too. I did talk to them. They seemed like they were listening...

I also spent a lot of time trying to perfect the nose wiggle, sadly without success, and would rub any lampish type object, but my wishes haven't yet been granted. (Genie features has a backlog, maybe? I'm trying to be patient.)

I didn't exactly look for hobbits, but hobbit houses. In case the hobbits needed a housesitter while they were off having adventures. How cool would a round door be...

Btw, the flat I moved into recently has very high ceilings and plenty of room in the lounge to park a Tardis, so if anyone has any contacts...
"The sharks will get her, don't worry," cautioned the Spaniard. Oh dear, I wish you hadn't mentioned that, thought Buttercup. Around her now, although it was surely her imagination, she seemed to be hearing the swish of giant tails. --William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Holly Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #94
spikywriter

spikywriter is on a distinguished road
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?
spikywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #95
phantasy
Let me tell you a Story...

phantasy is a shiny, shiny jewelphantasy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikywriter View Post
As children our escape was to imagine ourselves as orphans. Overbearing parents much?
LOL, yikes.

I hope you learned later how lucky you are to have them.

As for me, I wished so badly to have an adventure like the first post mentioned. I'm still wishing to fly and see the world. Our Earth can be as fantastic as any fantasy story. This wish of mine is really reflected in my fantasy writing.
phantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #96
Petros
figuring it all out

Petros is on a distinguished road
The house I grew up in was very small, and my bedroom was barely bigger than a closet. It was a loud, chaotic house, for various reasons, and I always wanted a quiet space. Call me antisocial, but my biggest wish was to have a whole big island just for myself.

http://petrosjordan.wordpress.com
Petros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #97
EChavez

EChavez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkababy View Post
I wanted a thatched roof cottage in the middle of an English forest. Fairies, babbling brook..the works. I have not outgrown this. Not one smidgen.
This.

Also, I wanted a magic cupboard where I could make my toy figures come alive, like in The Indian and the Cupboard. I wanted a tiny horse that I could hold in the palm of my hand. I still do, actually.
EChavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #98
JBClemmens
Patient Seahorse

JBClemmens is on a distinguished road
If I forgot to say it before, Welcome EChavez. One time I saw a small pig embedded in the rug fabric in an upstairs bedroom. I don't know if it was real or just my medication. It made me think of Indian in the Cupboard, though.
JBClemmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #99
EChavez

EChavez is on a distinguished road
Thanks JB. I'm sure it was real.
EChavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #100
GypsyKing
Mischief is an art

GypsyKing has a spectacular aura
I didn't get my Hogwarts letter at eleven. I didn't turn out to be a mutant during puberty. I didn't find out I was the Avatar when I was sixteen.

So help me, if Gandalf doesn't come to take me on an adventure when I'm fifty, I will be very cross indeed.