Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #4276
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Thanks guys, appreciate the sympathy.

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #4277
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of lightJ.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
Agreed 100% about Shimmer. It's a really good publication, all the way around. I came very close with my last submission but not quite close enough. (A bit of rejectomancy that seems reasonable to share, come to think of it... Flash is apparently somewhat inherently a hard sell there.)
Yeah, I was told the same thing with my last submission there. And I agree with the Shimmer love. I'd be ecstatic to see my name in one of their ToC's.

Condolences to the recents, especially you Penumbra folk. I had a recent rejection from them that made it to the final round and was waiting 100 something days, so I know the sting of almost making it there!

For now, I'm training crickets. I expect a couple of responses any day though.

Read me:

"The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #4278
Eliza C
We’ll see what happens from here…

Eliza C is a shiny, shiny jewelEliza C is a shiny, shiny jewel
[QUOTE=J

Condolences to the recents, especially you Penumbra folk. I had a recent rejection from them that made it to the final round and was waiting 100 something days, so I know the sting of almost making it there!

For now, I'm training crickets. I expect a couple of responses any day though.[/QUOTE]

Ow. I've had a couple from Penumbra that they told me went to the final round but they didn't keep them anywhere near 100 days. Bummer.

Sorry to Marzioli too. I know some rejects hurt more than others.
Eliza C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #4279
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
Painful 37-day form R from Apex. Just when I was beginning to hope, and all that jazz.
Gah sorry to hear about that. Did it at least come from Lynne Thomas?

I'm at 36 days there myself, so I'll likely be getting mine soon, too.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #4280
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
Gah sorry to hear about that. Did it at least come from Lynne Thomas?
Nope. Seems odd they reject some at 1-10 days, and then sit on others up to 40. I had another there for 43 days a month or so back. Either there's a hidden distribution of slush reading we're not aware of, or some of us may have gotten saddled with a slow reader.

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #4281
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
63-day form R from LORE. Another one of those impossible markets to crack.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #4282
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of lightJ.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of light
Got my Clarkesworld R on the new story, then promptly sent it off to Lightspeed . . . and realized after hitting "submit" that I left the "Dear So-and-So" part blank. So it reads:

Quote:
Dear

Attached for your review is, etc, etc.
I guess it was bound to happen eventually, eh? *shakes head*

Read me:

"The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #4283
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
lol, just received another R, this time from DSF. Fun, fun.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #4284
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
42 day form R from DSF for one of my favorite stories. With no P.S.

At least I have something to potentially submit to VP now.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #4285
Sai
Book lover/Spy

Sai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputationSai has a golden reputation
13-day rejection from F&SF. Even if it's a rejection, it's still kind of nice to get mail.

Absolute Visions now on sale!

Kuri-ousity.com
The site for manga news and reviews.

Sai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #4286
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:

Ugh. Sorry to hear about the R.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #4287
Eliza C

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W. Alden View Post
Got my Clarkesworld R on the new story, then promptly sent it off to Lightspeed . . . and realized after hitting "submit" that I left the "Dear So-and-So" part blank. So it reads:

I guess it was bound to happen eventually, eh? *shakes head*
ug, I felt that as I read it! I've come too close to something like that too many times myself. I think you're right - send enough submissions, it's probably bound to happen sometime. Oh well, could have been worse, you might have left the name of the Clarkseworld editor in there...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #4288
Eliza C

Quote:

Sorry about the reject, Alex. Good way to look on the bright side, though. I think you said you were up against a tight deadline for the workshop submission and, hey, better to have one of your favorite stories to sub than one less ready. I've known a couple of folks that went to VP and loved it. Good luck with that.

Defcon - sorry about the two in one day...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #4289
zanzjan
Hark the hotdog soda olive grape!
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
42 day form R from DSF for one of my favorite stories. With no P.S. At least I have something to potentially submit to VP now.
Sorry about the rejection, but good luck w/ VP, it's an incredible experience.

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #4290
llambertlawson
New fish bio-engineering thick skin

llambertlawson is on a distinguished road
I'm at 60 days with Apex. 64, actually. Are y'all implying that's a good thing? Im thinking I should query in case it never arrived or something. I love reading Apex, but I've never subbed there before this story.

Just got an R from Penumbra after...um...100 days or so. Almost but not quite. Oh well.

Twitter: @llambertlawson
Web: www.llambertlawson.com

Most recent publications:

Finding the Blue Door at Cast of Wonders
The Poinsettia at Every Day Fiction
llambertlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #4291
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llambertlawson View Post
I'm at 60 days with Apex. 64, actually. Are y'all implying that's a good thing? Im thinking I should query in case it never arrived or something. I love reading Apex, but I've never subbed there before this story.

Just got an R from Penumbra after...um...100 days or so. Almost but not quite. Oh well.
I'd query as they usually respond faster. Just check their guidelines to make sure its OK to query after 60 days.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4292
W.L. Marks

W.L. Marks is on a distinguished road
23 day personal rejection from Strange Horizons. I was starting to hope... Ah well.

Jed Hartman wrote a super helpful letter detailing what worked and what didn't quite make sense to the folks at SH. It's always wonderful to get that kind of advice even if it is a rejection.

Onward...
W.L. Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #4293
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.L. Marks View Post
23 day personal rejection from Strange Horizons. I was starting to hope... Ah well.

Jed Hartman wrote a super helpful letter detailing what worked and what didn't quite make sense to the folks at SH. It's always wonderful to get that kind of advice even if it is a rejection.

Onward...
The R stings, I'm sure, but getting a personal from SH is pretty darn cool!

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #4294
Eliza C

Quote:

Onward...
Sorry about the disappointing reject, but that's impressive that you got a personal response - that's a lot farther than I've ever gotten with them.

llambertlawson- sorry for the long reject at Pneumbra - you must have been close. Good luck with Apex.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #4295
W.L. Marks

It is cool. When they give personals at SH they give great ones. It's nice that they take the time to point out specific issues they had with plot and/or character. I appreciate the effort on the part of busy editors.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #4296
llambertlawson
New fish bio-engineering thick skin

llambertlawson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd query as they usually respond faster. Just check their guidelines to make sure its OK to query after 60 days.
Hey Alex...thanks for the advice. Just checked their guidelines, and they say they usually respond within 30 days but to query after...<drumroll>...60 days. I think I'll do that. Hopefully it didn't get lost, but you never know.

Twitter: @llambertlawson
Web: www.llambertlawson.com

Most recent publications:

Finding the Blue Door at Cast of Wonders
The Poinsettia at Every Day Fiction
llambertlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #4297
W.L. Marks

That rejection I was just talking about. Just resubmitted it to Lightspeed...which rejected it several weeks ago...ouch! I sent them an e-mail, so hopefully nobody will waste time reading it. I wish there was a way to withdraw from their online system.

W.L. -- feeling stupid and embarrassed.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #4298
sarahthegrey
figuring it all out

sarahthegrey is on a distinguished road
Much sympathy to all the recent Rs...especially Alex with that horribly long DSF response. So frustrating.

Quote:
That rejection I was just talking about. Just resubmitted it to Lightspeed...which rejected it several weeks ago...ouch! I sent them an e-mail, so hopefully nobody will waste time reading it. I wish there was a way to withdraw from their online system.

W.L. -- feeling stupid and embarrassed.
If I *had* to make a mistake like that, it would be with Lightspeed. They're pretty amazingly forgiving. Still embarrassing, I know, but I guarantee they're not holding it against you.

Also: if you're getting personals from Jed Hartman, you're doing awesome. I predict much success in your future.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:16 AM   #4299
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
Got a rejection from McSweeney's today. I feel like I've gotten so many rejections I've lost count. I have a bunch of submission that are due for a response. Even though literary journals take so long to respond I feel like it is hard to keep all my submissions out there. The rejections keep creeping up on me.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #4300
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A one hour-ish R from UFO for "A Toothy Adventure." Not a surprise, but I fear salvaging that story will mean killing it and starting with fresh body parts.

Aggy, on pins and needles about pending responses from Goldfish Grimm's and BCS

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote