Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #1001
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Elle Lothlorien had followed up her initial post on responding to bad reviews here, with her "case study" here.

While I actually understand what she's driving at here (and no, I don't condone it), maybe I'm just stuck in some old view of all this. I read a book by a best-selling author. I thought it was poorly written and edited, full of continuity errors galore, leaps of logic, etc. If I wrote reviews, I would have left a one star review. If this author had responded, sure, I might have gotten a good impression of her as a person. I might have told people she's very gracious in the face of negative reviews, and I liked her personally. It might have made me feel warm and fuzzy that this big shot author took the time to reach out to me, acknowledged my feelings, and all that, but it would not make me want to recommend that book to anyone, nor would it make me likely to read her other books. I'd still remember all the problems with that book and be less likely to give her another chance, no matter how nice she was.

I also wonder about this: how much weight do we give these reviews as readers? I personally don't pay that much attention to them. I don't scour Amazon and Goodreads and the NYTimes book review to decide if I'm going to like a book or not. And if I do look, a handful of bad reviews mixed amongst the good are not going to sway me. Maybe I'm unusual in this regard.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #1002
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A good one from this week's NYT Book Review:

Quote:
Not all writers are as equable in the face of bad reviews. When Colson Whitehead criticized Richard Ford’s story collection “A Multitude of Sins” in the Book Review in 2002, Ford held a grudge; at a publishing party two years later, he took the opportunity to spit on Whitehead. “I would like to warn the many other people who panned the book that they might want to get a rain poncho, in case of inclement Ford,” Whitehead said later. At least there were no guns involved. After Alice Hoffman — who’s had her own troubles with critics — wrote a disappointed review of Ford’s 1986 novel “The Sportswriter,” Ford and his wife blew off steam by putting bullets through one of Hoffman’s books. “I don’t read my reviews anymore,” Ford told the literary journalist Robert Birnbaum in 2002. Birnbaum responded: “Well, that might save you on ammunition.”

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #1003
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
I just want to say: I admire reviewers who admit they didn't finish a book. It's a refreshing bit of honesty. And I don't see the point of authors getting upset about it and saying it somehow invalidates the review. If I get up and walk out of a movie because it's just that bad, that somehow means that my opinion of the movie is invalid? If I take a sip of milk, realize it's sour, and pour the rest down the sink, does the fact I didn't finish the glass make the milk any less spoiled? It becomes absurd at some point.

How arrogant is it for an author to think that a reader's time has so little value?
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #1004
Lexxie
Avid reader and lover of fiction

Lexxie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by absitinvidia View Post
I just want to say: I admire reviewers who admit they didn't finish a book. It's a refreshing bit of honesty. And I don't see the point of authors getting upset about it and saying it somehow invalidates the review. If I get up and walk out of a movie because it's just that bad, that somehow means that my opinion of the movie is invalid? If I take a sip of milk, realize it's sour, and pour the rest down the sink, does the fact I didn't finish the glass make the milk any less spoiled? It becomes absurd at some point.

How arrogant is it for an author to think that a reader's time has so little value?
I especially like your milk example! The author in the link I provided on the last page ended up telling the reviewer that he had started editing again, and that he'll send a free new edition to the reviewer though, and it ended up being completely drama free, which was refreshing
Old 06-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #1005
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxie View Post
I especially like your milk example! The author in the link I provided on the last page ended up telling the reviewer that he had started editing again, and that he'll send a free new edition to the reviewer though, and it ended up being completely drama free, which was refreshing
The author in that link also reviewed his own book too. 5 stars no less.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #1006
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's time for another link to John Scalzi telling other authors how to behave like grown-ups.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1007
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, well Scalzi is sheer class. He's right too.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #1008
Lexxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
The author in that link also reviewed his own book too. 5 stars no less.
I have seen a few authors rating their own books, and I don't really agree with that. However, it struck me as a lot more weird when an author on amazon rated his own book with 4 stars... if the author isn't in love with his own book, how can readers be?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #1009
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
I have seen a few authors rating their own books, and I don't really agree with that. However, it struck me as a lot more weird when an author on amazon rated his own book with 4 stars... if the author isn't in love with his own book, how can readers be?
Maybe they wanted it look less suspicious? *shrug*

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #1010
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
You know, I can see this where you're being interviewed by someone many years later, in the midst of a long career. "Well, give us an assessment of this book", and saying, "honestly, looking back, this and that and that, I'd give it a 4". That's a lot different than going on Amazon or Goodreads and rating it yourself. Hey, can I write my own review for Kirkus or Publishers' Weekly or the New York Times?

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #1011
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wendy Darling (pseud.), the really talented, funny and fair Goodreads reviewer who got attacked for her review of "The Selection" by Kiera Cass last January, including a really savage attack from Melissa Douthit where WD's real name, photo, name of husband, and address were posted online, hasn't posted anything on Goodreads or her blog since the end of May.
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1012
Lexxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
Wendy Darling (pseud.), the really talented, funny and fair Goodreads reviewer who got attacked for her review of "The Selection" by Kiera Cass last January, including a really savage attack from Melissa Douthit where WD's real name, photo, name of husband, and address were posted online, hasn't posted anything on Goodreads or her blog since the end of May.
Yeah, and she hasn't blogged since then either I miss her! And I miss her book recs, I have read quite a few books I discovered thanks to her - whether she liked them or not, she brought them to my notice.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #1013
Kewii
practical experience, FTW

Kewii is a shiny, shiny jewelKewii is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
Wow. I hadn't heard about that before you posted this. That is just disgusting.
It was just a bad review. The author and agent made it so much worse by the way they spoke about it. Authors and agents need to always take the high ground. Clearly, the opposite happened here.

"You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."
-J.K Rowling

My New Blog

I'm (Gonna) NaNo

Kewii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #1014
fireluxlou

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
author john simpson is quite eloquent in a response to a review. LOL

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show...mment_52808069

Quote:
John
Erastes, you're just a cow.....the facts are indeed correct and it has received 5 star reviews everywhere, bot of course you. You don't like me, I don't like you. I expect nothing out of you but a one star. Hate my writing so much, don't fucking read it. BTW, the book is being made into a screenplay and will end up on the big screen eventually. You better check your facts again heifer.
this comment is proceeded by many more gems from yours truly, john simpson.

He uses gender slurs a lot against her.
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #1015
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I continue to be astonished at the number of authors who seem to think that people are not permitted to dislike their books.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #1016
AnneMarble
Nefarious Ghost Fan

AnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
After reading all these "classy" responses from authors, I think I will curl up with some of those nice ghost fiction anthologies I bought in the wee hours las night -- M. R. James and some of his followers.

I can't imagine M. R. James or that sort of writer calling someone names because they didn't like one of their stories. And even if I were to post a negative review, most of them are long dead, so they can't complain. Although if the bed sheets start to move after I post that review...

Gulp! :eeek: On second thought, I don't think I'll post a negative review of the M. R. James anthology after all. I'm sure I will enjoy it very much...
Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC
AnneMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #1017
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
author john simpson is quite eloquent in a response to a review. LOL

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show...mment_52808069

That is the only way to properly describe my reaction.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #1018
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And there's one more author to add to my 'will never read' pile.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #1019
firedrake

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I saw this last night.

Wow. What an eejit.

Having just read the opening pages, I'm impressed that the reviewer stuck with it.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #1020
gothicangel
Toughen up.

gothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsgothicangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I found another one this morning on Amazon by Nick Brown:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2KKM2UV7AF2DG/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1444714856&nodeID=&t ag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

I highly regard the reviewer, as he reviews a lot of historical novels, and he's quite balanced - and very informative. His criticisms of historical accuracy are correct. It also looks though as he has posted other responses, but thought better of it.

I do have the book on my 'to read pile,' it's a library book so I will read it, if only to post a review.

"Imagination only comes when you privilege the subconscious" - Hilary Mantel
gothicangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #1021
AnneMarble
Nefarious Ghost Fan

AnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
And there's one more author to add to my 'will never read' pile.
Sadly, I realized why the name sounded familiar. I bought two of his ebooks at Fictionwise a couple of years ago. Yeah, I'm really in a hurry to read them now. (Anyway, I bought the one about the openly gay pope on a whim to see how he could pull that one off...)

Guess I'll be reading more of those nice, quiet long dead authors today.
Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC
AnneMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #1022
KimJo
Outside the box, with the bunnehz

KimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for PresidentKimJo should run for President
I just don't comprehend reactions like that. I really don't.

Yeah, okay, a one-star review might sting. But it's freaking WORDS, people, not an assassination attempt.

Honestly, I'm just happy when my books get reviewed, even if the review isn't completely positive... I like knowing people are reading my books. Readers are allowed not to like my stuff.
COMING SOON:
Shoulder Pads and Flannel, Harmony Ink Press, 7/2014

As Karenna Colcroft
My contemporary romance site- Over 18 only!
My contemporary romance library
COMING SOON:
With Every Touch, Ellora's Cave, TBD
Love Like Vampires, Dreamspinner, 7/2014
Knot Intended, Ellora's Cave, TBD

As Kara Costegan
My paranormal romance site
COMING SOON:
"Secrets to Keep", anthology story, Good Mourning Press, TBD

KimJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #1023
firedrake

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What I find really sad about this whole business is the dogpiling. Yes, he was well out of order and stupid and arrogant, but it's the way everyone else has to swoop down and drop more crap on him. Like sodding vultures to a corpse. Some of them fellow authors.

Just so bloody tired of the mob mentality.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #1024
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrake View Post
What I find really sad about this whole business is the dogpiling. Yes, he was well out of order and stupid and arrogant, but it's the way everyone else has to swoop down and drop more crap on him. Like sodding vultures to a corpse. Some of them fellow authors.

Just so bloody tired of the mob mentality.

He asked for it. It's not like he was minding his own business posting things on his own blog and the Internet decided to jump down his throat. He behaved horribly and unprofessionally and he's being punished for it. More authors should learn this lesson.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #1025
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The dipshittery just never seems to end.

As a side note, I've read a lot of positive reviews of Orlando Figes's latest book and it's the type of thing I'd normally jump to read, but his past behaviour of trolling other people's work means I will never pick it up.

MM
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote