Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #14451
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
*hugggles*

Continuing the playlist conversation from yesterday, here is Will's one for Invincible at the moment:
  1. "Everything is Alright" - Motion City Soundtrack
  2. "Punk Rock Princess" - Something Corporate
  3. "Must Have Done Something Right" - Relient K
  4. "All I Want" - A Day To Remember
  5. "I Come Alive" - The Used
  6. "Invincible" - Adelitas Way
  7. "Pretty Handsome Awkward" - The Used
  8. "Blood On My Hands" - The Used
  9. "Be My Escape" - Relient K
  10. "I Just Wanna Run" - The Downtown Fiction
  11. "Keeper" - Yellowcard
  12. "Last Stand" - Adelitas Way
  13. "Breathe" - Anberlin

It will become more and more like a "soundtrack" as I write.

I might post the general playlist one day. Just because.
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 06-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #14452
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
My husband is the best. He fixed the Internet when the idjit on the Charter support line couldn't
WIP#1: 52,313/50,000

The Last Three Words: Evernight Teen | Amazon

Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #14453
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Lisa--- SOMETHING CORPORATE!!!

Also.... everyone

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Old 06-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #14454
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRowley View Post
Are you a runner? I run about 12 miles a week, but have never done more than 3 or 4 miles at a time. You will do great. Do you wear costumes to these things? Some people do.
Costumes? No, but now I kinda want to find a race that encourages it. You mean like Halloween or SFF convention costumes?

I'm a runner as of, uh, March. But I'm working towards the Disney Princess half-marathon next February. I usually do 3-4-mile runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
The mc of Bunheads talks like Lorelei Gilmore if that helps any... It's cute (a little awkward weird). I'm probably going to review it tomorrow

Also, Mel, re: What's L3ft 0f Me cover/coloring- The real issue I had was with the spine. You literally cannot read the title if you see it on the spine It makes me really sad because I enjoyed the book but it might be hard to want to pick up just by spine if you can't read the title.
Now I want to check out the show.

That's too bad about WLoM's cover. The book sounds fabulous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't come up with a playlist for my novels. It's weird because I'm such a big music nerd. I have a soundtrack for my own life, but when I'm writing all I hear is silence.
There are definitely lots of writers without soundtracks. One of my write-in peeps tells me "I don't get the soundtrack thing," every single time it's brought up. I don't usually listen to my soundtracks while writing, though, unless I need inspiration from a specific song.

Quote:
I *need* music to write. Even if its like 3 AM.

I do not understand people who can write without music or background noise. I mean...how do you work?!
I can work without noise, but I work better with music. For writing, my headphones on and the Doctor Who soundtrack playing leads to my best productivity.
Quote:
I hate insta-love.

That is all.
TM has one-sided insta-love. But it's really more a commentary on it, since the BOIS are programmed to fall in love with a specific girl, and Taylor spends the book questioning whether that's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslera View Post
I had insta-love in my WIP from early April. There's a reason that story falls flat on its face. And then after it falls flat on its face, it facepalms itself to death and Mary Sueness.

I'm brave enough to admit that :p
*applauds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
I'm at 44k on book #2. Almost done. Another battle scene and all is well
Yay, keep going!
Quote:
I wish there was a cat emoticon here....(there's only that dog one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu09 View Post
"Everything is Alright" - Motion City Soundtrack
Love this song.

TM's current playlist (some songs to be edited out eventually, and anything subject to change during revision):

1. Coin Operated Boy - The Dresden Dolls
2. Take Care of Yourself - Glee Cast
3. Bought and Sold - Dar Williams
4. Counting Airplanes - Train
5. Thing Called Love - Bonnie Raitt
6. Singing Out the Days - Chumbawamba (may be replaced)
7. Somebody Else's Song - Lifehouse
8. Hundred - The Fray
9. Fall to Pieces - Avril Lavigne
10. Tailor Made - Colbie Caillat
11. The Writer - Ellie Goulding
12. Ragdoll - Maroon 5
13. Bluebird - Christina Perri
14. Quasimodo - Lifehouse
15. Uninvited - Alanis Morissette
16. Before the Lobotomy - Green Day
17. Mr. Roboto - Styx
18. Until You're Over Me - Maroon 5
19. A Water Prayer - Deep Blue Something
20. Peacemaker - Green Day
21. Wires - Athlete
22. In Your Skin - Lifehouse

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Hero/Villain: Tweaking needed
Super/Human: First draft done!
Master/Puppet: 832/65,000

My Countdown to 2015 (Not-Exactly-)Flash Fiction Challenge thread (password: flashed)
Come play!

This week, I'm in: San Diego!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #14455
Smiley0501

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
SAAAAAAGE!!! Where have you been!

(Also. Love your playlist, and thanks for the cat emoticon *meow*)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #14456
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When I get depressed or stressed about outside stuff, I tend to unplug from the internet for some reason. I kinda immerse myself in things that require my undivided attention (like, in this case, the Lego Harry Potter game on my PS3 or reading that can hold my attention). My writing also suffers, unfortunately.

Tomorrow I plan on working on kidlit Trouble, though. In between a trip to the vet, two workouts, and the write-in (where we hardly ever write). It will happen!

My Countdown to 2015 (Not-Exactly-)Flash Fiction Challenge thread (password: flashed)
Come play!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #14457
Smiley0501

Oh gosh I'm so sorry about being bombarding (re: OMG where have u been!!etc). I definitely understand the need to unplug and I'm glad to hear you took time for yourself. Good luck with kicking Trouble's butt.

OT: A writery friend just got an agent and posted about it here. Super stoked for her (she's gotten so, so many rejections).

Old 06-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #14458
Sage
AW Moderator

Oh, no, you don't have to apologize. I appreciate that I was missed

I also was at the 10K on Sunday, and we've been super busy at work so I haven't been able to come on during my lunch break like I often do.

That's great news for your friend, Smiley!

Come play!

Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #14459
Smiley0501

*snuggles Sage* of course I missed you!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #14460
JKRowley
practical experience, FTW

JKRowley is on a distinguished road
Sage, good to see you again.

Justbishop, don't give up hope on that manuscript yet. I got kicked out of a crit group because my book was so bad, they didn't want to deal with it. After some revision, that book is getting published this year (yeah).

This soundtrack idea is appealing to me, but I am stuck on the music of my youth. I may never get over my love for Duran Duran.

And now I may get kicked off the old people thread for my taste in music.

Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #14461
Smiley0501

Um.......WHAT is all I have to say to that (dumb) crit group,Jill.

Also Duran Duran is AWESOME. You will never get kicked off this board as long as I'm here . I mean seriouslyyyy "Her name is Rio and she dances in the saaaand! Oh Rio, Rio, across the Rio Grande!"

Old 06-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #14462
JKRowley

JKRowley is on a distinguished road
Oh gawd, dancing to Rio. Can't resist Duran Duran.

I met some Duran Duran groupies once. One of them twisted her ankle and John Taylor (my crush) carried her to her hotel room. I wanted to die with the swooning. Simon Le Bon is supposedly a drunken lout, but the rest of them were ok.

Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #14463
x_Kathy_x
Me fail English? Thatís unpossible.

x_Kathy_x has a golden reputationx_Kathy_x has a golden reputationx_Kathy_x has a golden reputationx_Kathy_x has a golden reputationx_Kathy_x has a golden reputationx_Kathy_x has a golden reputation
Quote:
Good morning everyone.

Kathy- that contest looks awesome and for a good cause...I'll definitely have to check it out

I am working on a new scene and I am enjoying it. It's going a little slower (writing wise and my process-in-my-head lol) but that's okay. And I am soclose to 53k I love that my word count is going up. (Originally queried this baby at 46k and didn't think it could get better. It can!)
Thanks, Smiley!

What's your WiP about?

IC: 91k (on hold)
GB: 97.2k (revisions with agent)
SC: 6k (drafting)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #14464
Dorothy

Dorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of light
OMG revisions!

*takes a deep breath*

The glorious life of a writer, right? This will take me a while to tackle, so if you don't hear from me for a couple days, you know why.

One step at a time, Dorothy. One step at a time ...

MY SISTER'S REAPER (YA Urban Fantasy) out now from Month9Books
MY TETHERED SOUL releasing August 19, 2014.

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Check out my blog: We Do Write
Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #14465
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

justbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to beholdjustbishop is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRowley View Post
Sage, good to see you again.

Justbishop, don't give up hope on that manuscript yet. I got kicked out of a crit group because my book was so bad, they didn't want to deal with it. After some revision, that book is getting published this year (yeah).

This soundtrack idea is appealing to me, but I am stuck on the music of my youth. I may never get over my love for Duran Duran.

And now I may get kicked off the old people thread for my taste in music.
Thanks

I really do think it's just that my synopsis is really REALLY bad, which I already knew. The critters are bringing up issues that they are treating as glaring, but none of my betas have mentioned the same concerns.

And ahhhh, Duran Duran <3 I've been a bit obsessed with Ordinary World and Come Undone lately.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #14466
Smiley0501

Dorothy-kick those revisions' butt! You can do it!

Kathy- My WiP is about a girl & her boyfriend who get revenge on high school/the things frustrating in her life. I generally pitch it as H3ather$ meets Ha+e L!$t by J3nn!f3r Br0w/\/ if that helps any...

JB- {hugs} I'm sure your synopsis isn't as bad as you think it is and if you're really have issues you can always post it over at SYW for feedback

Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #14467
Sage
AW Moderator

I like the Duran Duran songs I know, but I don't think I know many. (I do really like Rio!)

JKR, IMO the soundtrack is first and foremost for the writer. I veto songs that might work perfectly for my story but that I don't personally like. Some books do have the soundtrack listed at the back of their book these days, but most don't. Instead you see them on blogs or here or even on goodreads (I know Shady Lane posted the soundtrack on her "review" of GGG).

I use the soundtrack as a flexible outline, as inspiration, and as motivation. And later for nostalgia

JB, sometimes things don't translate as well when being told versus developing in a novel gradually. Of course, the opposite is true as well. Sometimes things we did in novels sound great when we talk about them here, but then in the novel we execute them poorly. Sometimes it's a wording issue, sometimes it's just the nature of that aspect of your story. I'll go check out your synopsis.

Come play!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #14468
parumpdragon
May God bless you and keep you

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
About to finish book #2 -- starting on book #3.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #14469
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Quote:
Dorothy-kick those revisions' butt! You can do it!

Kathy- My WiP is about a girl & her boyfriend who get revenge on high school/the things frustrating in her life. I generally pitch it as H3ather$ meets Ha+e L!$t by J3nn!f3r Br0w/\/ if that helps any...

JB- {hugs} I'm sure your synopsis isn't as bad as you think it is and if you're really have issues you can always post it over at SYW for feedback
It is posted in SYW. That confirmed my suspicion of how bad it is, lol!

And your WIP sounds awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I like the Duran Duran songs I know, but I don't think I know many. (I do really like Rio!)

JKR, IMO the soundtrack is first and foremost for the writer. I veto songs that might work perfectly for my story but that I don't personally like. Some books do have the soundtrack listed at the back of their book these days, but most don't. Instead you see them on blogs or here or even on goodreads (I know Shady Lane posted the soundtrack on her "review" of GGG).

I use the soundtrack as a flexible outline, as inspiration, and as motivation. And later for nostalgia

JB, sometimes things don't translate as well when being told versus developing in a novel gradually. Of course, the opposite is true as well. Sometimes things we did in novels sound great when we talk about them here, but then in the novel we execute them poorly. Sometimes it's a wording issue, sometimes it's just the nature of that aspect of your story. I'll go check out your synopsis.
Thanks Sage, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have (although I'm under no illusions that it's good in any way, shape, or form in it's current state. I just haven't had a chance to do revisions based on the crits already given yet.)

And get thee to Spotify or Youtube and check out The Wedding Album (I think that's the title) by Duran Duran!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #14470
Stiger05

Stiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Whoa, so much going on!

@justbishop: Synopses suck. Period. Don't let yourself stress too much, you'll get there.

@Sage: Hi! We've missed you!

@Dorothy- Good luck with revisions!

@Jill- Love Duran, Duran! Pretty much all 80s new wave as well--okay, most 80s, ha! I rocked out to the Violent Femmes on the way to work this morning. And I agree with Smiley, what a dumb crit group if they'd kick you out just because they didn't like your book.You obviously didn't need them anyway, though. : )

@parump- Yay for finishing!!

@lisa- Hope you're feeling better today!

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Oh, so I got my car back. It's "fixed" but we thought it was fixed last time too so who knows? I'm trying my best to convince Hubby we just need a new one.

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
Twitter

Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #14471
lisalulu09
Potterhead Gleek

lisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admirationlisalulu09 has earned our admiration
Hoping to finish Chapter Three of Invincible today!

I think I hit my head in the night. I keep feeling sick and my head is throbbing.
Sherlock Holmes' Apprentice - MG Historical Mystery - On hold
Untitled - YA Paranormal Romance - Writing the first draft

Reading:
"Girlfriend in a Coma" - Douglas Coupland

Twitter
Tumblr
Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #14472
justbishop
Proud Literary Sadist

Wow. Just had an idea hit me in the shower and had to come get it down on "paper". Love when that happens!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #14473
Sage
AW Moderator

Lucky you, justbishop!

I know that problem, stiger. I'm pretty sure my roomie's car is held together with duct tape and fishing line right now, and mine has a constant "check engine" light.

And speaking of incredibly expensive things, my cats are at the vet today, and one had a rotten and cracked tooth, so their bill is practically identical to my bank account balance.

Come play!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #14474
Smiley0501

Justbishop, I just misread your statement about getting an idea as "An idiot just hit me in the shower" (I'm on novacane thank you dentist so everything is 10% funnier)

Also I HATE synopsises with a serious passion..I'm off to SYW to check yours out

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #14475
Stiger05

Stiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolnessStiger05 leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I know that problem, stiger. I'm pretty sure my roomie's car is held together with duct tape and fishing line right now, and mine has a constant "check engine" light.

And speaking of incredibly expensive things, my cats are at the vet today, and one had a rotten and cracked tooth, so their bill is practically identical to my bank account balance.
I have never had a decent car. I went from an 1989 Jeep Cherokee with a cracked manifold (we paid $1800 for it), to a 1996 Nissa Sentra with everything under the sun wrong with it (it caught fire last year and completely burned up), to a 2004 Hyundai Sonata, which is what I have now, that seems to never be fixed. I'm ready to just bite the bullet and finance a new one. A 2012 Honda CR-V is $193 a month. Now I just have to convince Hubby we can swing it. I've been extra sweet all day, ha!

Sorry about your cats! Vet bills suck. I was going to go to vet school but stunk at organic chem. A good friend just graduated though, so I call him with all my pet questions to avoid taking them in.

Writing some stuff, editing some stuff, you know, the same old same old.

My blog
Twitter

Closed Thread