Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #26
punahougirl84
practical experience, FTW

punahougirl84 is on a distinguished road
I just created and printed a chart with five columns: Story Name, Sent to, Date Sent, Date of Response, Response.

They are clipped in a three-hole pocket folder. I keep a changing list of stories that need to be resent too.
punahougirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
JWNolen
figuring it all out

JWNolen is on a distinguished road
I keep a separate file of the emails I've sent out. Haven't started sending paper copies yet.
JWNolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sub mostly short stories, and use excel. I use the title of each story as the header, and beneath the title goes the name of the anthology or publisher to which I submitted. Highlight the square in red for a rejection and add the name of the next place underneath when I re-sub. Once it sells, I copy the entire thing onto the next page, where it also gets a line for sale price, when it gets paid, what rights I have sold, and when they revert. Once rights revert to me, or if a story has not sold, it ALSO goes into a new page of my spreadsheet to track content, genre, and rights available so that I can see what finished stories I have available to sub at a glance.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #29
cbenoi1
Travelling around the sun

cbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for Presidentcbenoi1 should run for President
http://www.spacejock.com/Sonar3.html

-cb
cbenoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
lorna_w
grump

lorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputationlorna_w has a double-platinum reputation
Thread resurrections. gotta love 'em.

When I was a short story writer and always had ten or thirty envelopes out there (ahh, big envelopes with that fold crease in the center...nostalgia break) I made a pen and grid-paper chart, with magazines in prestige/pay order along one axis, story first word along the other, and a little "/" at submission that turned into an "X" at rejection.

In addition, I had a 3x5 index card box where each magazine got its own card. I'd write the story names on it, the sub date, the return date, and any name of an editor who'd signed a personal rejection, other notes on mag.

This was back in the days before I had spreadsheet software, so it was my only option.

I did novel queries five years back snail mail, and all I did was save all cover letters in a doc and imbedded a comment when I got a rejection. This time, email only, so I'll just make a Word doc: agent, agency, date sent, response (if any).
lorna_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #31
maidahl
figuring it all out

maidahl is on a distinguished road
Word and Excel
maidahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
aikigypsy
practical experience, FTW

aikigypsy is on a distinguished road
I use a table in Word/Open Office Writer. At the moment I have one unwieldy document with all my short stories and notes about longer projects that I'm working on, or might work on again in the future.

For each short story, I compile a list of possible markets, and put them in order of preference before I start sending the story out. The list always changes, but the idea is that when the story comes back I know right away where to send it next.

I also use Duotrope for what's already been sent out, but I like having the market list for future subs on hand. I should probably switch to using a spreadsheet, but I like the look of the tables in Word much better.
aikigypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I use excel. I just listed them chronologically, a new line for each new submission, but that didn't help me keep track by story.

I found a template that someone here had created. I forget who. But it was pretty nice and I use that. I can quickly see by story where I sent it and where each is.

I wonder if you do a search for excel or story tracker or submission tracker if you could find it.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #34
francist44
Tenacious to a fault

francist44 is on a distinguished road
Yup, Excel with columns for replies and other info
francist44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #35
BenPanced
Stairway to Pittsboigh

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have a folder for each project with an Excel spreadsheet in it to keep track of who, what, where, and why. That way, I can keep a hardcopy of the query letter and any rejections in one place.
BenPanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
henmatth
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

henmatth is on a distinguished road
I personally think simple is best. Word is the way to go for me.
henmatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
KPLanyon
Learning to Swim

KPLanyon is on a distinguished road
This post has been surprisingly helpful. Something I never considered previously.

“You never have to change anything you got up in the middle of the night to write.”
Saul Bellow

KPLanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
CarlHackman

CarlHackman is on a distinguished road
I use a notebook, MS Outlook (tasks) and QueryTracker. Overkill I know LOL
http://www.carlhackman.com
CarlHackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #39
zanzjan
get up and dance or die
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlHackman View Post
I use a notebook, MS Outlook (tasks) and QueryTracker. Overkill I know LOL
Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill.

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputationwonderactivist has a double-platinum reputation
I use Story Tracker for iPad and LOVE it. The free version is truly just a sample so you can see how it works. The full was inexpensive, however, it keeps track of unlimited amounts of subs, markets, and stories. And it sends me reminders. Yes.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #41
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
I used Excel and Querytracker for agency subs for a while, but QT was useless for UK agents. Now I stick with Excel, and a plain old Google Docs document when I'm too lazy for spreadsheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzjan View Post
Heh. I have a mysql database with a hand-built web-based perl front end. And an excel spreadsheet for backup. That's overkill.
That's beautiful. I'm in awe.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #42
RensPen

RensPen is on a distinguished road
I have been keeping mine on paper like so:
Agent name, agency, and submission guidelines
if interested will hear back-such and such date

Then once I receive a response I tick off names with different colored highlighters. Orange for "No's" (I picked orange because its bright and would draw my attention quickly) blue for "No response"(if past response date, or two months) green for "yes"(green means go
RensPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #43
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
I gave submission grinder a try the other day and it looks pretty decent, will definitely try to use it for short stories.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #44
tylersmama

tylersmama is on a distinguished road
I am only just stepping out with my first novel which I began submitting last month and so far, just have a word document with the agents I have sent to, what I sent, and when. Working pretty well so far but then I only have a list of eight at the moment.
tylersmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 AM   #45
Gunzen
Rozez

Gunzen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
I've tried a bunch of submisssion software, but I keep going back to pencil and paper. It's easier. I have a template clipped from Writer's Market about twenty years ago, and I just keep making copies when I start to run out of pages.
I like this.
Gunzen is offline   Reply With Quote