Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > PoC
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #26
I survived
practical experience, FTW

I survived is on a distinguished road
If you really want to push the controversal button how about Budha, Jesus, and Abraham
I survived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
Cleopatra (before/between marriages)
She was Greek by heritage... Last Egyptian, Egyptain Pharaoh was King Tut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
I always had a thing for the Chevalier de Saint-George, renowned swordsman composer, conductor, and violinist in France during the second half of the 18th century. I don't know enough about his personal life to know if he would be available or not, but he was a hottie.
He never married. He seems pretty cool too. Smart and artistic as well has the whole Knight thing to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I survived View Post
If you really want to push the controversal button how about Budha, Jesus, and Abraham
In another story I'm writing Santa Claus as Turkish (like the original Saint Nicholas was) and having another Santa be black. (Which is Saint Martin.) I'm sure that'll make people upset... but it's true. Santa should be Turkish--which I'm sure would make the racist White Christians very, very wary... Haha.

Last edited by Rachel Udin; 06-01-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #28
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
Does Lebanese count as POC? In that case my first pick would be Kahlil Gibran.
This is an oil painting of him at 25.
And that's besides the fact that he's Kahlil Gibran.

Also, I've always had a soft spot for Hongi Hika. He was a Maori chief back when NZ was first being settled. I don't agree with every stand he took, but I always really liked that he seemed to love and respect his (blind) wife so much. Fierce warrior with a secret heart of gold anyone?
Obviously I'd have to get in there before she arrived on the scene though

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a sweet and smutty fantasy novella)

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.
lastlittlebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #29
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Udin View Post
She was Greek by heritage... Last Egyptian, Egyptain Pharaoh was King Tut...

Not really. Current studies put her as the daughter of a Nubian concubine, which is why she was so popular with the "common" people.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #30
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
Not really. Current studies put her as the daughter of a Nubian concubine, which is why she was so popular with the "common" people.
Eh~ Wikipedia says she was daughter of Cleopatra IV? (With reference). I guess her mother is up for debate. That would be something to ask her. Or if they find her tomb to genetically test for.

BTW, Lebanese is definitely PoC. And he was pretty good looking back then. There is a window before his marriage proposal/meeting that could fit.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #31
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My Google-Fu is failing spectacularly, but I'm almost certain that there was a noted Elizabethan painting, of someone who would certainly fit the criteria, in one of the Taschen books - not a commoner, plucked from obscurity, but a prominent member of society at the time. I'll keep hunting when I have time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
little_e
Trust: that most precious coin.

little_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputation
Mansa Musa, at least as he's drawn in the book I read
little_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
Flicka
Dull Old Person

Flicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

He never married. He seems pretty cool too. Smart and artistic as well has the whole Knight thing to him.
He's sometimes called 'the black Mozart'. A sword-wielding, musketeer-style musician, who's smart and good-looking... That just ticks all my boxes.

Quote:
In another story I'm writing Santa Claus as Turkish (like the original Saint Nicholas was) and having another Santa be black. (Which is Saint Martin.) I'm sure that'll make people upset... but it's true. Santa should be Turkish--which I'm sure would make the racist White Christians very, very wary... Haha.
Well, enough of them seem to overlook that Jesus and the Apostles were all Jewish...

"She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day"
Flicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
Rachel Udin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flicka View Post
He's sometimes called 'the black Mozart'. A sword-wielding, musketeer-style musician, who's smart and good-looking... That just ticks all my boxes.

Well, enough of them seem to overlook that Jesus and the Apostles were all Jewish...
Don't forget that Jesus was part African too--he was part Egyptian on Mary's side. I'm writing that into the story too.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #35
Komnena
In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah

Komnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kamehameha

Komnena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
Adelaide
practical experience, FTW

Adelaide is on a distinguished road
Huey Newton for sure late 60s. I don't know if he was with someone at the time.

Paul Robeson (Rutgers days or anything thereafter)

Langston Hughes ca. 1920 - he might've been gay and I am a woman, but we can eschew that for now

Jean-Michel Basquiat ca. his heydey, before he died, etc

the guy who played bass on Crosby Stills Nash and Young's album Deja Vu. He was like 19 at the time and gorgeous!

Sam Cooke basically up to his time of death