Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #7301
SaraP
Showing my love to others. <3
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, definitely. It's why parenting is such challenging work - that and the fact every child is unique and parenting skills need to be tweaked for each kid. Also why it's so rewarding.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #7302
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
Consistency is key, and setting basic rules. I understand you having a problem with rules, but when you understand which rules are in place, and why, they'll be a whole lot easier to follow - for you and for her.

Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries. It's been my experience kids tend to enjoy those adults who are firm and consistent more than the ones that cater to their every whim.
Yes! This!

And I'm not above motivating my kids with something they want. Some call it bribery, but isn't that your motivation for going to work? You agree to perform a series of chores for the reward of a paycheck, yes?

That said, the reward thing does not apply for basic good behavior. That's just expected and required.

Like wearing clothes.

6 month olds might get away with running around in their skivvies but I expect actual clothing on a 5 yro.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #7303
SaraP
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Right. Like a 9-year old taking a shower.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #7304
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Heh... when BW and I have kids Imma play that Notorious B.I.G. song 'I love it when they call me big papa...' Over and over to him...

*snickers*

No idea why I find it so amusing... but I do.

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #7305
SaraP
AW Moderator

*snort*

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #7306
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's just so easy to tease

How's the vacation so far, Sparkle Pony?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #7307
SaraP
AW Moderator

It's been good - and not so vacationy. Spent the afternoon on the phone and sending emails with work-related stuff.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #7308
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowflame View Post
BTW this has NO effect when they become TEENAGERS! seems the braincells begin to degrade and they forget who's boss!
Trust me - I am 100%, absolutely, positively NOT going to be in the country at that point. Uh-uh, no way.

Quote:
Also, and trust me on this, children really do appreciate having rules and boundaries.
She's not deliberately being bad, she's just hyper-excitable and completely disregards anything I can say when she is bouncing around. And no, there is not a lot of sugar in her diet (I even stopped the Robinsons fruit drink and Ribena as they had too much sugar for my liking). If she could sit down and talk instead of blabbering on... *sigh* Okay, I fail at this in epic proportions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post
6 month olds might get away with running around in their skivvies but I expect actual clothing on a 5 yro.
Uh. It's been really, really hot, so she's been running around the apartment in just her underpants until I get her ready for the school nursery. Now I'm thinking I may need to address that.

Quote:
It's been good - and not so vacationy. Spent the afternoon on the phone and sending emails with work-related stuff.
*sigh* Switch off the 'phone, put away the computer and RELAX. Jeez, a person would think that you didn't know how to party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #7309
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
She's not deliberately being bad, she's just hyper-excitable and completely disregards anything I can say when she is bouncing around.
Is she really bouncing around in a "cannot focus on anything more than two minutes" kind of way, or just in a "I'm a kid and have lots of energy" kind of way?

Because if it's the former, it may actually be something.

Try coffee, see if that helps. (No, seriously. Ask the skwirrel.)

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #7310
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What the sheep said. Coffee can do great things for a kid who simply can. not. focus. Gave my Li'l Dude a great first grade year after a nightmare kindergarten year.

Friend of mine has a son who has a mild degree of autism whom she honeschools. Cup of coffee in the morning has taken three hours out of their school day. THREE HOURS.

Of course, individual results may vary.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #7311
SaraP
AW Moderator

I used to drink lattes in the afternoon, all through my elementary school years. I hated the stuff, but that's an entirely different matter.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 AM   #7312
DL Hegel
Tigress Tyrant
Horror Hounds Dominatrix

Location: I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas.
DL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Where is Debbie?

Busy digging?

Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #7313
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

Debbie cannot come to the phone/door right now.

May I please take a message?
Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 AM   #7314
DL Hegel
Tigress Tyrant
Horror Hounds Dominatrix

Location: I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frelling Dent. I'm Dorothy Gale from Kansas.
DL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDL Hegel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post
Debbie cannot come to the phone/door right now.

May I please take a message?
When she gets back from the graveyard, tell her I called.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:36 AM   #7315
DL Hegel
Tigress Tyrant
Horror Hounds Dominatrix

If anyone asks what happened to Boston, I know nothing.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #7316
SaraP
AW Moderator

Awwwwww.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #7317
DL Hegel
Tigress Tyrant
Horror Hounds Dominatrix

Quote:
Awwwwww.

It is an improvement.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:47 AM   #7318
DL Hegel
Tigress Tyrant
Horror Hounds Dominatrix

I also know nothing about this either.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #7319
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Vampire flying frogs??

That will give someone nightmares.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #7320
BriMaresh
New kid, be gentle!

BriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthood
Hah! Joke's on you! We all have nightmares anyway.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #7321
SaraP
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Vampire flying frogs??

That will give someone nightmares.

Awwww, but it's sooooo cute!

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-31-2012, 05:08 AM   #7322
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

Flying vampire frogs? Y'all are strange...

*hoards her Red Lobster biscuits*

Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 AM   #7323
BriMaresh
New kid, be gentle!

BriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthood
Why is it always food with us?

Old 05-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #7324
SaraP
AW Moderator

It's the newbie-q's, I think. We're always hungry 'cause there ain't enough of 'em.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #7325
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

Because we're awesome.

Shh, I'm trying to write! *mutters*

Closed Thread