Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #576
Adrianna Burch
Angry owl is judging you.

Adrianna Burch is on a distinguished road
Woot, super late addition (I'm so tired I tried to write edition...), but I'm also a college student. An English major, if you can believe that. xD I don't write excursively YA, but everything I write tries to sound like YA and I'm focusing on a YA piece right now, so...Hi!

Collared - NA Urban Fantasy - 1500/80,000
&

Saber Tooth - YA Fantasy - 1100/80,000
Adrianna Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 PM   #577
Bookgirl2021
A place where dreams are born

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley0501 View Post
OMG who is the floaty marshmellow guy?!
I'm not sure, but once upon a time someone used it on RM (Random Musings), and it became one of my favorite celebratory smilies.

Mirror Effect: 2K/65K On hold

OLS: Editing

My Website/Personal Blog
Bookgirl2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #578
Vicorva
The Ineloquent Writer

Vicorva is on a distinguished road
Oh, hi, can I join the party? I'm a twenty year old uni student and I write YA Fantasy.
Vicorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #579
AmandaS
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

AmandaS is on a distinguished road
Welcome, Adrianna and Vicorva!

Congratulations on your critique win, Smiley! That is seriously awesome. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Is anyone else participating in Camp NaNoWriMo in June?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #580
Bookgirl2021

Location: In your head. I'm the little voice you hear all the time. And you thought that was your conscience!
Bookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookgirl2021 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I might. It depends on how far into June it is that I finish AM. If I finish in the next few days, I'll either do it in June or in August. ...Depending on if I feel like doing revisions on an old project, or doing something new.

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 AM   #581
Bookgirl2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianna Burch View Post
Woot, super late addition (I'm so tired I tried to write edition...), but I'm also a college student. An English major, if you can believe that. xD I don't write excursively YA, but everything I write tries to sound like YA and I'm focusing on a YA piece right now, so...Hi!

I used to be an English major, but then the history people called me over to the...well... History isn't the dark side. Math is. Anyway... Now I'm a double major in History (Ed) and Creative Writing. YA is always a good place to be.

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #582
Adrianna Burch

It fits me nicely, this is for sure. Also yes, math is the dark side and it doesn't even have cookies.

&

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #583
Pinguicha
Has the cutest cat in the world!

Pinguicha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianna Burch View Post
Also yes, math is the dark side and it doesn't even have cookies.
No it is not I'm an Engineering student and I had to learn tons of different Maths. And in High School, one of my Math teachers brought us chocolates once in a while! The Math side does have cookies!

Wish Upon A Star (Contemporary YA): 56k - Revising

The Road to Hell (Epic Fantasy YA): 9546/100k+

Pinguicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #584
Lainey
practical experience, FTW

Lainey is a shiny, shiny jewelLainey is a shiny, shiny jewel
Hi I'm 18 and studying education, ancient history and English lit at uni. I write fantasy-ish YA and a bit of paranormal/supernatural stuff as well.

Don't get it right, just get it written.
- James Thurber

twitter / facebook
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 AM   #585
Adrianna Burch

No one's ever offered me cookies in math...

&

Last edited by Adrianna Burch; 05-31-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #586
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Everyone!!!!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #587
Bookgirl2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguicha View Post
No it is not I'm an Engineering student and I had to learn tons of different Maths. And in High School, one of my Math teachers brought us chocolates once in a while! The Math side does have cookies!
Math is the only subject I can think of that I've never really used in writing. Psychology, philosophy, history, English, science, the arts, even PE (on very rare occasions)...I've used them all. Hence math being the dark side. HOWEVER.... I don't dislike math itself. Just the classes.

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #588
Smiley0501

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
So I was a Creative Writing major but....when I studied abroad I went to a medical/science school because...guys.....I secretly love medicine. *hides under covers* No one saw me here admitting this- NO ONE!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #589
savagelilies
'til the end of time

savagelilies is well-respected
Hi guys! I'm also a new addition to this board. I'm going to be a uni student next fall (absolutely no idea what to major in--leaning towards philosophy, but who knows). I write YA fantasy. And perhaps some spec fic, here or there. (And fan fiction, but who doesn't? Hehe.) Anyway, hello! Nice to see a thread for college/uni students.
savagelilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #590
Bookgirl2021

Quote:
So I was a Creative Writing major but....when I studied abroad I went to a medical/science school because...guys.....I secretly love medicine. *hides under covers* No one saw me here admitting this- NO ONE!

Nothing wrong with medicine. It's part of science. And one of my really good friends (who is the biggest all-around geek I've ever met) is pre-med. But he can also talk fantasy, mythology, mystery, books, BBC, movies, comics, and just about anything else better than anyone else I know. Talk about your Renaissance man...

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #591
Smiley0501

I could never be pre-med. I hate blood, hospitals and people being sick. But I love reading about medicine and science.(So interesting!)

Determined to marry a doctor. So I can get my medical/science fix but not be in the field.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #592
Bookgirl2021

Quote:
I could never be pre-med. I hate blood, hospitals and people being sick. But I love reading about medicine and science.(So interesting!)

Determined to marry a doctor. So I can get my medical/science fix but not be in the field.
I think he wants to work in the morgue. Or be a radiologist (the kind who reads the x-rays/tests). So hospital yes, blood...maybe, but no sick people.

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #593
Smiley0501

*nods*
We need people to do all that.
...I will not be one of them.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #594
Bookgirl2021

Me either. On occasion observing, perhaps. But not performing.

My Website/Personal Blog
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #595
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm writing something new.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #596
Vicorva
The Ineloquent Writer

Vicorva is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Okay... hmm... I'm Camping for the first time this year, staying up late for the kick-off.

I'm an Animal Behaviour and Welfare student (unless I fail my exams, then maybe not).

Everyone I know thinks I'm studying to be a vet. I'm not studying to be a vet. Being a vet is icky. They have to cut stuff up, and remove pus, and they got pooed and weed on while in surgery by incontinent animals AND there's tons of paperwork. I'm doing the fun Animal Science, where you get savaged by aggressive animals. Whee!
Vicorva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #597
Lainey

I'm doing camp as well Can't stay up til midnight to start though, I have class tomorrow T_T

- James Thurber

twitter / facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #598
savagelilies
'til the end of time

savagelilies is well-respected
Dude! I can't believe tomorrow is already June 1! And I want to participate in Camp Nano, but... I don't want to start a new novel. :/ Every time I've done Nano (in November, that is) I've started with a fresh novel, but now I'm in the middle of one and I'm not down to abandon it. T_T
savagelilies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #599
Lainey

If you really wanted to do Camp, you could always be a rebel and continue your current story.

- James Thurber

twitter / facebook
Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #600
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, I've introduced 100% effective active camouflage into my hard sci-fi military story.

You may ask...why the flying fuck wasn't this stuff in book 1, when the MC had body armor and a laser rifle and fuck else?

Well, the answer is simple!

1) It's expensive
2) It's useless in space because 99% of detection isn't visual, it's by HEAT and active camo doesn't do a damn thing for heat
3) The ability to produce and move it into space didn't exist at that time.

Sadly, unlike harry potter, there is ONE tiny flaw with active camo: It can't cover up the eyes. I mean, if it did...how would you see?

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote