Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #526
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
She's already hit the NYT and USA Today lists with her self-pub offering. Now that it's coming out in paper, I hope she finds even more readers. I'm thrilled for her!

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #527
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
She's already hit the NYT and USA Today lists with her self-pub offering. Now that it's coming out in paper, I hope she finds even more readers. I'm thrilled for her!
That's awesome.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #528
elindsen
A hottie in disguise

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm currently reading 50. At the scene where they discuss the contract. Some of the writing is driving me nuts. If another head cocks or another lip is bitten I will go on the warpath. But other than repetetive phrases and too many senetces starting with "I," I actually like the story. I hear it goes downhill though. That Ana loses her will and cries when spanked. (If only I could get one myself...)
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

VampireNovellaSideProject 11,426/?
Heaven's Breath 38,347/40,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #529
Pinguicha
Has the cutest cat in the world!

Pinguicha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinkies View Post
I'm currently reading 50. At the scene where they discuss the contract. Some of the writing is driving me nuts. If another head cocks or another lip is bitten I will go on the warpath. But other than repetetive phrases and too many senetces starting with "I," I actually like the story. I hear it goes downhill though. That Ana loses her will and cries when spanked. (If only I could get one myself...)
Oh, the contract! I talked to a friend who's very into BDSM and she said, and I quote:

Quote:
If you're going lifestyle 24/7 with no safewords, you can do - just google for BDSM contracts to see examples - but you have to be pretty extremely serious to get to that point. Whereas in 50 Shades of Bullshit I think he makes her sign before they do anything at all? Is that right? Faiiil.
They have safewords and they haven't done anything, so in an "everyday" BDSM situation, they wouldn't even need to have a contract. I get the non-disclosure agreement (Christian is famous after all), but the contract? No.

Now, I'm not really into BDSM, but I've been to a fetish club (aforementioned friend was a member and she took us there), talked to some people while sharing cigarettes (bad habit, I know), and their lifestyle is completely different from what's portrayed in the book.

For instance, Christian Grey is only into BDSM because he was so broken and that lifestyle saved him from himself. I don't know if other people felt that way, but I thought it made the BDSM lifestyle to be very... how should I put it... "dark" and an "escape", whereas I've met a lot of healthy people who are into BDSM simply because they like it. Heck, I talked to a male transvestite who was there with his wife and he jokingly said he was going to get the whip because he was talking to me. He was not brooding or tortured or anything - he was plain nice.

50 Shades of Grey makes you think very bad things about BDSM when it's not necessarily that way. Some people are merely into it because they enjoy it, not because of their dark, dark past.

Wish Upon A Star (Contemporary YA): 56k - Revising

The Road to Hell (Epic Fantasy YA): 9546/100k+

Pinguicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #530
Mustafa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mustafa is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguicha View Post

50 Shades of Grey makes you think very bad things about BDSM when it's not necessarily that way. Some people are merely into it because they enjoy it, not because of their dark, dark past.
I'm going to disagree with you. Not that I like FSOG, but you can't say that the author was wrong in portraying those characters that way. You might have met people who were quite happy and did BDSM for enjoyment, but there could easily be people who do it for other reasons (like a dark dark past).

There are prostitutes who claim they like the work. And there are ex-prostitutes who say they only did that work because they were very damaged. If I wrote a book with prostitutes and made them damaged, I wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

FSOG is a plageristic pile of fan-fiction dreck, but the author can make her characters (or SM's characters) do anything she wants and not be responsible for painting an entire lifestyle a certain way. She's painting that lifestyle in the way it is experienced by her characters.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #531
RiseBeauty
figuring it all out

RiseBeauty is on a distinguished road
Personally, every time I read the original fanfic title "Masters of the Universe" I flash to Dolph Lundgren in short-shorts waving a huge sword....[/QUOTE]

So did I! I thought I was the only one who remembered that movie...(and those awful shorts )!

Last edited by RiseBeauty; 05-28-2012 at 11:46 PM.
RiseBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #532
elindsen
A hottie in disguise

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Maybe 50 shades is Dolph fanfic?
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

VampireNovellaSideProject 11,426/?
Heaven's Breath 38,347/40,000

elindsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #533
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't been paying too much attention to this drama, so I may be posting something here that everyone already knows -- but, following a couple of links on a rainy day with nothing better to do (except write!) I found this, which practically tells the story of how she started out, and what kind of a person she is.

Facebook

Now Out Yes it's a linky! USA
On Amazon! Yes, that's a linky too! UK

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #534
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
I kind of just browsed through that. The thing that struck me was the fact that there's another publisher out there doing what TWCS is doing(doubling as a fan fic archive and publisher). That was the shocking thing for me. (It said it's called Omnific Publishing; the fan fiction archive is Twilighted.)

Twitter
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #535
Pinguicha

Yes, Omnific did the same as TWCS: published fanfictions with a high review count as original novels.

Someone assembled a list of all the Twilight Fanfics that were converted for publishing. It's on this page... Just scroll down to a post by a hope4more. The number is... quite astounding, to say the least.

Point is, most of those novels were either published by TWCS or Omnific.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #536
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Yes, Omnific did the same as TWCS: published fanfictions with a high review count as original novels.

Someone assembled a list of all the Twilight Fanfics that were converted for publishing. It's on this page... Just scroll down to a post by a hope4more. The number is... quite astounding, to say the least.

Point is, most of those novels were either published by TWCS or Omnific.
Wow.

That list was a lot longer than I expected.

Do you think that any of those will attempt to go agents after the contract is up? It just makes me wonder if the whole "Fifty Shades" thing was a one time deal.

Twitter
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #537
Pinguicha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Wow.

That list was a lot longer than I expected.

Do you think that any of those will attempt to go agents after the contract is up? It just makes me wonder if the whole "Fifty Shades" thing was a one time deal.
God, I hope not. The thought is terrifying.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #538
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
God, I hope not. The thought is terrifying.
Unfortunately, only time will tell.

Twitter
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #539
The Kidd
Not an actual kid...or goat.

The Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputation
Quote:
I flash to Dolph Lundgren in short-shorts waving a huge sword....
I was so about to say it... The title confused me so much because I picture the old He-Man cartoon when I hear 'Masters of the Universe'.

WIP:
Miraculous Mr. D: MG Fantasy>: 36k/45k

(Untitled Kelpie story) Paranormal Romance>: 3.5k/50k

The Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #540
robiiehood
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

robiiehood is on a distinguished road
I had no idea! thanks for the info!

www.robinpletcher.com
robiiehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #541
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What I found interesting was that she was already a big name in her own circles before the book took off. To someone like me who isn't into fan fiction or Twilight and its spinoffs, the 50shades pheonomenon took me by surprise, and it seemed like an overnight success; as if she came out of nowhere. It's somewhat of a releif to see that it had been brewing and growing long, long before; that there had even been a convention just for her! That it was no fluke; she pushed herself forward. I suppose this confirms that pushiness pays. I didn't read the whole story, just the start; it began to get too teenagerish for my liking. But I do get that this was a success waiting to happen. Not overnight at all.

Facebook

- Gandhi
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #542
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruna View Post
I haven't been paying too much attention to this drama, so I may be posting something here that everyone already knows -- but, following a couple of links on a rainy day with nothing better to do (except write!) I found this, which practically tells the story of how she started out, and what kind of a person she is.
Please keep in mind this is a one sided account from a disgruntled ex-friend, who was not universally loved in fandom for some of her behavior either. Hardly reliable information to judge what kind of person EL James is.

Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #543
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

To tell you the truth, this whole "fandom" mindset makes me gag.

Facebook

- Gandhi
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #544
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
I kind of just browsed through that. The thing that struck me was the fact that there's another publisher out there doing what TWCS is doing(doubling as a fan fic archive and publisher). That was the shocking thing for me. (It said it's called Omnific Publishing; the fan fiction archive is Twilighted.)
Disclaimer: I'm published by Omnific as I've previously said on this site.

Twilighted and Omnific is owned by the same person, however:

Omnific is not and never was a fanfiction archive. It's a separate small publisher with its first titles released in 2010. They are not maintained from the same site as with TWCS.

Twilighted is a separate archive site and a number of Omnific's writers have never had ff connections or ever written fanfiction. Others, like me, have written ff but haven't published any rewritten versions through Omnific or anywhere else.

Omnific is a mixture of titles that were previously ff and titles that were never ff. Mine in the latter group. Titles I've read that were previously ff are edited, in many cases extensively over the course of years, changing pov, losing thousands or tens of thousands of words from stories that were already vastly different from source in the first place.

Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #545
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alitriona View Post
Disclaimer: I'm published by Omnific as I've previously said on this site.

Twilighted and Omnific is owned by the same person, however:

Omnific is not and never was a fanfiction archive. It's a separate small publisher with its first titles released in 2010. They are not maintained from the same site as with TWCS.

Twilighted is a separate archive site and a number of Omnific's writers have never had ff connections or ever written fanfiction. Others, like me, have written ff but haven't published any rewritten versions through Omnific or anywhere else.

Omnific is a mixture of titles that were previously ff and titles that were never ff. Mine in the latter group. Titles I've read that were previously ff are edited, in many cases extensively over the course of years, changing pov, losing thousands or tens of thousands of words from stories that were already vastly different from source in the first place.
Oh, okay. Thank you. I didn't know.

Twitter
Old 06-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #546
Anaquana
needed a good laugh today

Anaquana is a glorious beacon of lightAnaquana is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
I'm going to disagree with you. Not that I like FSOG, but you can't say that the author was wrong in portraying those characters that way. You might have met people who were quite happy and did BDSM for enjoyment, but there could easily be people who do it for other reasons (like a dark dark past).

There are prostitutes who claim they like the work. And there are ex-prostitutes who say they only did that work because they were very damaged. If I wrote a book with prostitutes and made them damaged, I wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

FSOG is a plageristic pile of fan-fiction dreck, but the author can make her characters (or SM's characters) do anything she wants and not be responsible for painting an entire lifestyle a certain way. She's painting that lifestyle in the way it is experienced by her characters.
Mustafa, I completely agree with you that there are people in real life who get into BDSM from a very unhealthy place, but I think it's fair to criticize this trope in fiction because it's one of the only tropes that mainstream people are seeing (FSOG, The Story of Ugh, The Secretary). Just like it's fair to criticize books with weak-willed female protagonists who must always be rescued by a man. Or books which feature only white characters. Or only male characters. The writers aren't "wrong" to write books like that since those situations do exist in real life, but when that's the main narrative that people see, it has a very real effect on people in the real world. I know people who are into the BDSM lifestyle who have gotten flak over it due to FSOG and people assuming only "broken" people are into "that sort of thing".

Blog - The End of Nowhere
Anaquana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #547
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was SO curious that I downloaded it. The book was featured on a local news radio channel and TV channel recently in my area (first time I've ever heard of a book on the radio, and it's becoming obvious that I need to learn something from this.....)

So far, I'm incredibly annoyed with the writing. Yes, as someone said, re: the lip biting. The cliches are

The thing that's keeping me reading is that I'm a total newbie as regards the BDZQX-whatever. So in between the cliches I'm kind of like:

But, a trilogy of this? Seriously?
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #548
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I was SO curious that I downloaded it. The book was featured on a local news radio channel and TV channel recently in my area (first time I've ever heard of a book on the radio, and it's becoming obvious that I need to learn something from this.....)
Which is why I listen to NPR.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #549
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Which is why I listen to NPR.
Indeed.

*fiddles with radio dials*

Oh, and I have to add on more thing about this book that is bugging me. The MC's refers to her subconscious talking to her, of hearing her subconscious, of her subconscious doing/acting/behaving in various ways.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the subconscious below the level of consciousness? How can one be conscious of one's subconscious?
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #550
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Oh, and I have to add on more thing about this book that is bugging me. The MC's refers to her subconscious talking to her, of hearing her subconscious, of her subconscious doing/acting/behaving in various ways.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the subconscious below the level of consciousness? How can one be conscious of one's subconscious?
Ding ding ding, we have a winnah! Between her subconscious and her inner goddess talking to her, it's astounding how she can have so many voices in her head and still be TSTL.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote