Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 PM   #226
iwriteforme
Christopher Bair

iwriteforme is on a distinguished road
I read, dearly sorry

I read through your issues with Tom Dark. I empathize.

The link is provided mostly for those who want to see what he is still up to. He doesn't seem to have calmed down from the experiences listed here a couple of years ago.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #227
iwriteforme
Christopher Bair

Just to record it for posterity...

For aspiring authors who think submission to Tom Dark is worth it, I leave this tweet...

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148494155423821824

Quote:
This increasing asshole @iwriteforme reminds me to tell aspiring writers: agents don't sell books.They pick great ones. bit.ly/rhk9m2
I've finished with him. Just thought I'd alert authors about his professionalism.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #228
htrent
practical experience, FTW

htrent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwriteforme View Post
For aspiring authors who think submission to Tom Dark is worth it, I leave this tweet...

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148494155423821824

I've finished with him. Just thought I'd alert authors about his professionalism.
Wow. The list of people I'd call an a-hole is small, but they generally deserve it for far worse reasons than trying to engage in a rational debate. I'm sorry. No one should be attacked like that.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 AM   #229
iwriteforme
Christopher Bair

Well, after being blocked and moving on, he's now decided to continue. Writers, this is who will be representing you if you decide to go with Tom Dark:

http://twitter.com/TomDark9/statuses/148531655001374720

Quote:
Any students of human nature out there? Want to see typical activity of a total obsessive? Check @iwriteforme 's smear campaign about me.
The creepiness of this guy... It shines through everything else.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #230
jencarpy
figuring it all out

jencarpy is on a distinguished road
oh Absolute Write. What EVER would I do without you......

hugs hugs hugs.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #231
BlossomQueen
Playing the Waiting Game

BlossomQueen is on a distinguished road
Wow.

*checks Twitter again*

Wooooow. This guy--sometimes, I'm starting to think, a lot of rejections (and generally bad things in life) are blessings in disguise.

Now, to snag one of those agents who requested a full...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #232
CassandraW
undead ax baby

CassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassandraW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I took this agency off my "to query" list. Thank you, Absolute Write!

The responses from Tom Dark in this thread are just...wow.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #233
iwriteforme
Christopher Bair

I got an email from Twitter tonight...

Tom Dark @TomDark9 is now following you (@iwriteforme).
Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 AM   #234
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Block him and move on.

MM
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #235
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

HeadsUP is on a distinguished road
He's on the run about it at his own blog

comment withdrawn as per request.

But he's still a piss poor agent in my book. I've had short stories and poems published, so it's NOT like I can't write or haven't written anything...etc.. You don't have to be "GOOD AT" anything in America for "success." All it takes is having an UNCLE DADDY upstairs. That's USUALLY how HOLLYWOOD does it.

I wouldn't want Mr. Dark to handle my material whatsoever.

He SHOT HIMSELF in his own foot. Any NEGATIVE comments he receives are, thus, well deserved and of his own doing. PERIOD and -Amen.

Last edited by HeadsUP; 05-05-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #236
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

My apologies for having missed this on his blog

. Ok, then here is my OPINION about what he's complaining about which, I think, has nothing at all to do with WRITING and PUBLISHING:

That whole thread seems to be more about an alleged "Jew Hater" Peter Wells, whoever that is, than about writing or a "writers' help" website. He sounds confused to me.

Last edited by HeadsUP; 05-05-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #237
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm uncomfortable with the personal comments.

ETA to clarify: While it's absolutely fair to say that someone's interpersonal skills and online persona are important with regards to their ability to be an effective agent--so looking at how they conduct themselves is appropriate to some degree--I don't think we need to bring personal issues from someone's blog here, and I definitely don't think the personal insults aimed at Mr. Dark are necessary, informative, professional, or appropriate. That's not what this forum is for.

HeadsUP, I'd seriously consider editing your those posts and removing the insults, were I you.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller

Last edited by Stacia Kane; 05-05-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #238
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
I'm uncomfortable with the personal comments.

ETA to clarify: While it's absolutely fair to say that someone's interpersonal skills and online persona are important with regards to their ability to be an effective agent--so looking at how they conduct themselves is appropriate to some degree--I don't think we need to bring personal issues from someone's blog here, and I definitely don't think the personal insults aimed at Mr. Dark are necessary, informative, professional, or appropriate. That's not what this forum is for.

HeadsUP, I'd seriously consider editing your those posts and removing the insults, were I you.

DONE
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #239
Bookie
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Bookie is on a distinguished road
Agree

My experience with Tom Dark was very similar to what others have reported here. He enthusiastically acquired me as a client but was never able to sell my book. I was actually horrified to read his manic communications to prospective editors, and some times he even misrepresented my position in order to market my book.

Worse, he wasted a lot of time calling me up at all hours to shoot the breeze for 2-3 hours at a time EACH DAY. None of these conversations were geared towards selling my book. Instead they were random musings about psychics, wars he was waging against various people, and his crusade against pedophiles.

The long, rambing emails were too much to read--In fact, I stopped readingthem after a while.I wanted to know what he was doing to sell the book. As it turns out, not much.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #240
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

Professional Editors? Who are you? Who, who, who-who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookie View Post
My experience with Tom Dark was very similar to what others have reported here. He enthusiastically acquired me as a client but was never able to sell my book. I was actually horrified to read his manic communications to prospective editors, and some times he even misrepresented my position in order to market my book.

Worse, he wasted a lot of time calling me up at all hours to shoot the breeze for 2-3 hours at a time EACH DAY. None of these conversations were geared towards selling my book. Instead they were random musings about psychics, wars he was waging against various people, and his crusade against pedophiles.

The long, rambing emails were too much to read--In fact, I stopped readingthem after a while.I wanted to know what he was doing to sell the book. As it turns out, not much.

Yes, indeed. Now then, a seriously rutted behavior pattern is apparently quite visible here, I'm afraid. Yes, of course. There is no mistake on second glance. Hmm....as it were.

Refer to prior posts by Dr. Clarke, aka, "ELVIKINGO," who gave a nigh identical account right here on this station, and compare your notes to his.

Indeed!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #241
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At last they've found each other. A Note to The Write Agenda from Tom Dark (mostly about how evil AW is).

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #242
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Tom, it is time to see your doctor and review your medication
Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #243
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Birds of a feather.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #244
AW Admin
Whose amusement exceeds all known standards of propriety
AW Paladin

AW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAW Admin is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
HeadsUP

You seem to be using this thread for little more than rhetorical flourishes and fulminating. Please stop.

If you have something of substance to contribute then do, but at this point you seem to be beating a desiccated corpse of a horse.

Look! FAQs !!! OMG Eleventy

This is Medievalist in an Official Capacity. She is not Herself.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #245
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

THEY NEVER LISTEN

The line limit cut me off

It's supposed to be "they never listen."

thank you
Old 05-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #246
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Who's "they?"

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #247
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gravity, I think HeadsUp objected to our Admin asking him to stop bumping this thread.

HeadsUp, I've read the post you deleted and I fully understand your frustration: but by repeatedly bumping the thread to bring it to the top of the list in the way that you were doing, you were only serving to dilute the message of this thread. Which is, I suspect, the opposite of what you were hoping to achieve.

If you have anything new, substantial and specific to post here, then that would be great. We'd all appreciate it. But if all you have is your continuing outrage--which many people share with you--then please stop bumping the thread up: it does not help.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #248
HeadsUP
Sockpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
Gravity, I think HeadsUp objected to our Admin asking him to stop bumping this thread.

HeadsUp, I've read the post you deleted and I fully understand your frustration: but by repeatedly bumping the thread to bring it to the top of the list in the way that you were doing, you were only serving to dilute the message of this thread. Which is, I suspect, the opposite of what you were hoping to achieve.

If you have anything new, substantial and specific to post here, then that would be great. We'd all appreciate it. But if all you have is your continuing outrage--which many people share with you--then please stop bumping the thread up: it does not help.

I've nothing more to add.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #249
jchines
Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage

jchines is a glorious beacon of lightjchines is a glorious beacon of lightjchines is a glorious beacon of light
Mr. Dark emailed me today to inform me that (I'm paraphrasing) everything on this thread is a lie by lying liars who lie.

My response is here.

I looked for any evidence of successful sales, or even a client list, and couldn't find anything. If there's any information to establish him as a legitimate agent, I'd be happy to add that to my blog post.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #250
Maddie
Roe Draje

Maddie is well-respected
Tom Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchines View Post
Mr. Dark emailed me today to inform me that (I'm paraphrasing) everything on this thread is a lie by lying liars who lie.
Mr. Dark has such a ridiculous world view, that he could almost rival the hilarity of your blog, were it not for him taking himself so dead-cold serious.