Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #76
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana2488 View Post
I was going through my previously owned books and I was wondering if Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles or the Vampire Huntress series by L.A. Banks was considered Urban Fantasy? I don't have the first books, but if someone recommended them, I might try to find them. Does anyone know if those authors fit into the UF category?
L.A. Banks' books are urban fantasy. Colleen Gleason's novels are more paranormal romance.

Though, it sounds like you're reading quite a bit of of young adult urban fantasy. If you're looking to stay with YA UF, then you need to read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
CAMueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #77
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
Though, it sounds like you're reading quite a bit of of young adult urban fantasy. If you're looking to stay with YA UF, then you need to read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series.
I think P.C. Cast also writes YA Urban Fantasy, right? Or would that fall more in the YA PNR umbrella?

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #78
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
I think P.C. Cast also writes YA Urban Fantasy, right? Or would that fall more in the YA PNR umbrella?
Her House of Night series is YA urban fantasy, yes. It has romantic subplots, but the core of the story isn't about coupledom.

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #79
Silver-Midnight

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Her House of Night series is YA urban fantasy, yes. It has romantic subplots, but the core of the story isn't about coupledom.
I wasn't sure. I don't really read YA, but I have heard of her before.

Twitter
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #80
shadowmuse
I *heart* Kittehs.

shadowmuse is on a distinguished road
YA UF: Vampire Academy series, Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, Soul Screamers series. Those are a good start. Vampire Academy is excellent, IMO.
shadowmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #81
Silver-Midnight

Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar to the Mercy Thompson series other than the Alpha and Omega series?

Twitter
Old 05-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #82
ULTRAGOTHA
Merovingian Superhero

ULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admiration
Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones.

================================

@ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter
ULTRAGOTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #83
Yāogui
Strange Monster

Yāogui is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for books similar to the Mercy Thompson series other than the Alpha and Omega series?
Similar in what way?
Yāogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #84
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yāogui View Post
Similar in what way?
Something that kind of, I don't know, "reads" like it.(If that makes sense I guess) Any similarity is fine though.

Twitter
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #85
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

Silver, you might try the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #86
Yāogui
Strange Monster

Quote:
That's one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think it reads like Mercy Thompson?

Silver, maybe Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #87
Silver-Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAGOTHA View Post
Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones.
Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
That's one of my absolute favorites, but I don't think it reads like Mercy Thompson?

Thanks.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll make sure to look at these.

Twitter
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #88
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

Quote:

I don't know that it reads in the same tone, but I think lots of the things that people connect with in Mercy they'd connect with in Kate.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #89
Yāogui
Strange Monster

I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action. I never mind scary monsters, I seldom mind cute monsters, my favorites are Kate Daniels and Harry Dresden, and recently Deacon Chalk fed my adrenaline cravings.

Not so interested in the 90s style of urban fantasy, Gaiman, de Lint, Bull, etc.

Give me a protagonist in the know. Give me strong characters, preferably female but not necessarily, preferably first person but not necessarily, preferably a series already five books deep but not necessarily. Good with vampires, werewolves, fae, dragons, angels, demons, goblins, unicorns -- even Hoosiers. But not vampire Hoosiers. That's going too far.

I don't mind romance when it's well-done and focused on human connection (see Stacia Kane's books for what I mean), rather than the jaw-droppingly-hot-people-dropping-jaws-and-underwear.

Come on, people. Knock me out.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #90
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action. I never mind scary monsters, I seldom mind cute monsters, my favorites are Kate Daniels and Harry Dresden, and recently Deacon Chalk fed my adrenaline cravings.

Not so interested in the 90s style of urban fantasy, Gaiman, de Lint, Bull, etc.

Give me a protagonist in the know. Give me strong characters, preferably female but not necessarily, preferably first person but not necessarily, preferably a series already five books deep but not necessarily. Good with vampires, werewolves, fae, dragons, angels, demons, goblins, unicorns -- even Hoosiers. But not vampire Hoosiers. That's going too far.

I don't mind romance when it's well-done and focused on human connection (see Stacia Kane's books for what I mean), rather than the jaw-droppingly-hot-people-dropping-jaws-and-underwear.

Come on, people. Knock me out.
I'll give it a go. I'm gathering from your references that you've read the biggies, so how about...

Try the Rhiannon's Law series by J.A. Saare. The first book is good, but the second one THE RENFIELD SYNDROME was OMG awesome (dark, violent, clever, gut-wrenching).

How about the Disillusionists Trilogy from Carolyn Crane? First book is MIND GAMES and this one is good from page 1.

And maybe try Seanan McGuire's alterego Mira Grant? Her Newsflesh series is brilliant. First book is FEED. It's not UF in the strictest sense, but based on your request I think you'll like it. Zombies, politics, conspiracy, awesome. (You can always try her October Daye series, too, under the McGuire name.)

Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #91
Yāogui
Strange Monster

Quote:
Try the Rhiannon's Law series by J.A. Saare. ... the Disillusionists Trilogy from Carolyn Crane?
Wow -- two series I'm not familiar with! Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #92
ULTRAGOTHA
Merovingian Superhero

ULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admirationULTRAGOTHA has earned our admiration
Quote:
I'm looking for recommendations! I like it fast and full of action.
Can't tell if you're interested in urban fantasy that's not Gaiman, et al. But if you're willing to look at non-urban fantasy, I recommend Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books--Sabrael, Lirael and Abhorson. Also a novella called Across the Wall in the anthology Across the Wall.

Girl who becomes in the know with lots of action fighting the dead in a magical kingdom. Well worth the read.

I've found Nix's other series not nearly as satisfying as his Old Kingdom books.

================================

@ULTRAGOTHA on Twitter
ULTRAGOTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #93
Yāogui
Strange Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAGOTHA View Post
Can't tell if you're interested in urban fantasy that's not Gaiman, et al. But if you're willing to look at non-urban fantasy, I recommend Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books--Sabrael, Lirael and Abhorson. Also a novella called Across the Wall in the anthology Across the Wall.

Girl who becomes in the know with lots of action fighting the dead in a magical kingdom. Well worth the read.
Thanks! I've read them already, but that's actually a perfect fit for the description of what I was looking for. You are a man or woman of extraordinary good taste, Ultragotha!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #94
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Kevine Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.
Kelly Keaton's Gods and Monsters. A pretty dark series, although I still kind of feel like it could go in a good or bad way (story direction) come next book.
Kelly McCullough's Webmage . . . maybe. It depends on how you define Urban Fantasy.
Caitlin Kittredge's Iron Codex. Again, kind of depends. It's got Urban, but it's also pretty heavily adventure and steampunk/horror.
D.D. Barant's Bloodhound Files. I really liked the first few, but the latest disappointed me--I was hoping for a big change and evolution in story and character, but the author went and disappointed me by hitting the "Reset to status quo" button, and adding a completely unnecessary romance out of flippin nowhere.

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus, at least for the first three books I think.
Charlaine's Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, if you can stand the slow pace. I got to the seventh book and was just wondering when it was going to end.
Jenna Black's Faeriewalker. Again, started good, but the latest was disappointing. Way too many pages for too little plot development.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #95
LadyV
Ahoy, maties!

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Kevine Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles.
Kelly Keaton's Gods and Monsters. A pretty dark series, although I still kind of feel like it could go in a good or bad way (story direction) come next book.
Kelly McCullough's Webmage . . . maybe. It depends on how you define Urban Fantasy.
Caitlin Kittredge's Iron Codex. Again, kind of depends. It's got Urban, but it's also pretty heavily adventure and steampunk/horror.
D.D. Barant's Bloodhound Files. I really liked the first few, but the latest disappointed me--I was hoping for a big change and evolution in story and character, but the author went and disappointed me by hitting the "Reset to status quo" button, and adding a completely unnecessary romance out of flippin nowhere.

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus, at least for the first three books I think.
Charlaine's Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, if you can stand the slow pace. I got to the seventh book and was just wondering when it was going to end.
Jenna Black's Faeriewalker. Again, started good, but the latest was disappointing. Way too many pages for too little plot development.
I second this suggestion. Fantastic series. Well, the fouth one not so much IMO because the setting wasn't in a modern-day, slightly dystopian London. At least Bartimaeus was still his smart-ass self.

Current WIP: Smoldering Ember - Contemporary Fantasy (plotting, drafting, whatever)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #96
TribalCat
Tyger's Mama

TribalCat is on a distinguished road
My favorite UF author is Yasmine Galenorn, author of the Sisters of the Otherworld and the Indigo Court series' among others. Her books are fast-paced, full of action and hot relationships (it's not porn, but it's not YA either), and most importantly, they have great plots and characters. Give her a try!
TribalCat is offline   Reply With Quote