Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 01:19 AM   #7151
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, mine's in the garage.

With the power tools.

And hammers and the pliers.

Besides, concrete floor makes for easy clean up for any messes that may crop up.

The kitchen?

Where you keep pie?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #7152
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieD View Post

The kitchen?

Where you keep pie?

Look, I can see that it's in my best interests to not say any more.

Or else I may incriminate myself in a possible vice-grip/pie crime.

soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #7153
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapdish View Post
Anyone know of a book/movie that does this sorta storyline? I'm drawing a blank.
Society maybe (been over a decade since I sat down and watched it), and Tetsuo The Iron Man may be too... incomprehensible? The Addiction is good, if you can sit through Ferrara at his most edgy, but there are only a couple of scenes which may be of use. It isn't an area well-covered, but there are certainly films and books which come close.

I'll ponder on this awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #7154
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So, I'm playing around with my monster today. (no eyebleach, I swear, I mean on paper in a story.)
The Seeker had an episode of such -

A Confessor was born, her mother died, releasing her father from Confession (when a Confessor Confesses someone, they become her slave - body, mind, soul. Once Confessed, they can only be freed by her (or their) death). He was terrified of falling under the thrall of his child and so kept her isolated with no knowledge of her mother or the power within her.

Cutting to the chase, when she's a teenager, she is kidnapped (Big Bad wants a Confessor) and in a rescue attempt and its associated skirmish, she instinctively Confesses an attacker.

She's told a little about what she is/can do but goes rogue - Confessing anyone who won't let her have her way over the slightest thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #7155
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
I'll ponder on this awhile.
Thanks! That's a start at least. Maybe I'll get some insight from those sources.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #7156
soapdish
writing

Quote:
The Seeker had an episode of such -

A Confessor was born, her mother died, releasing her father from Confession (when a Confessor Confesses someone, they become her slave - body, mind, soul. Once Confessed, they can only be freed by her (or their) death). He was terrified of falling under the thrall of his child and so kept her isolated with no knowledge of her mother or the power within her.

Cutting to the chase, when she's a teenager, she is kidnapped (Big Bad wants a Confessor) and in a rescue attempt and its associated skirmish, she instinctively Confesses an attacker.

She's told a little about what she is/can do but goes rogue - Confessing anyone who won't let her have her way over the slightest thing.

Wasn't this the series you said you were giving up on? Because, I have to say, the way you tell it, it sounds really interesting.

Maybe you can write the CliffsNotes for me.

I'll check it out, Laurie, thank you!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #7157
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

Another one that comes to mind would be Rowan in Anne Rice's The Witching Hour series.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #7158
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

Quote:

Wasn't this the series you said you were giving up on? Because, I have to say, the way you tell it, it sounds really interesting.

Maybe you can write the CliffsNotes for me.

I'll check it out, Laurie, thank you!
Yup, same series.

It wasn't all bad. The premise was good and the characters interesting - lots of magic. (I like magic) But every so many episodes the cheese factor gets pretty thick.

We stuck though both seasons on Netflix.

I recommend it.

Just keep in mind the cheese factor.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #7159
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Another one that comes to mind would be Rowan in Anne Rice's The Witching Hour series.
Dammit! I gave my book to my mom.

And it's been too long for me to remember that.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #7160
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bos reppied me with Teen Wolf as a suggestion, but as I haven't seen it since it came out on video (I remember the sequel and the cartoon, but the film is a big blank) the details are fuzzy. There's one particular scene in From Dusk Till Dawn which may be of help - watch when Tom Savini notices his hand changing. There's some perfect comedy in there, but that is what the character ought to be thinking. Also the line from X2 where the parent asks "have you tried not being a mutant," like it is a choice.

There are better examples, I'm sure.

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #7161
soapdish
writing

Yeah, I got the Teen Wolf rep, too.

BTW, BW, your first suggestions...

I underestimated your abstractness.

Teen Wolf is actually not a bad suggestion. But...ultimately the dad is there to explain things to him, I think. And, there is the fact that werewolves are kinda already defined. So if you were to turn into one, you might suspect what you were because you've heard of such a myth before.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #7162
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
BTW, BW, your first suggestions...
Well, Society is awesome, and you should watch it anyway.
Tetsuo is... uh... It's... Damn. There isn't a word in the English language which adequately conveys just how screwed up that film is, but trust me on this - once you see it, and you really ought to, you'll have a new-found respect for the relatively normal stuff David Lynch creates. If you can believe it, they actually made a sequel as well.

As for The Addiction, I'm gonna go ahead and say that anyone with even a passing interest in horror should watch it. It's influenced a lot of material which has come out since, even though it is a bit of a sleeper hit (the reviews are whiny, but for a genre film that is what to expect). I'll also add Cronos to the list, because it is awesome. Just watch the transformation which overtakes Federico Luppi's character over the course of the film.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #7163
night-flyer
flying about searching for cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Yup, same series.

It wasn't all bad. The premise was good and the characters interesting - lots of magic. (I like magic) But every so many episodes the cheese factor gets pretty thick.

We stuck though both seasons on Netflix.

I recommend it.

Just keep in mind the cheese factor.
Yes, a lot of cheese involved in there. I watched the first season stuck through it even through some of the stupidest eps and some bad acting, but I thought it was worth it all the same. I have no regrets, but I didn't watch any of the second season.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #7164
soapdish
writing

I plan on watching it on Netflix. I'll just fast forward what isn't relevant to my needs.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #7165
night-flyer

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't remember which parts may be relevant...I think it's early on, though.

In other news, Game of Thrones is medieval porn. Yes, it is. :O

Quote:
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #7166
soapdish
writing

Is *that* on Netflix?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #7167
night-flyer

Beats me, I don't have Netflix. I doubt it though, I think Netflix may have lost the HBO account- I know they lost Starz and Disney.

Quote:

Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #7168
soapdish
writing

That's disappointing.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #7169
night-flyer

yeah, well sorry, but I'm not going to keep you up on the show. I can't even say half the things they do on there. But there is a pretty good story line hiding underneath all the...sex...and stuff.

Quote:

Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #7170
soapdish
writing

WAKE UP!

*shakes thread violently*

So, littlest soap kicked my butt word count wise today. I got nothin. He got 3 chapters in a his WIP about a highly intelligent dog.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #7171
Umbrageofsnow
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Umbrageofsnow is on a distinguished road
All those recommendations for Soapdish about the teens transforming into monsters they do not understand are really helpful for me too. I'm having the same problem while trying to plan out a similar story: non-Japanese girl puberties (totally a verb now) into a monster from Japanese mythology.

Sadly, while cleaning the BBQ sauce out of my open wounds, I then had an easier-to-write-for-now idea of something to do for the Van Helsing Explains The Monster Challenge. I loves me some square one.
Umbrageofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #7172
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrageofsnow View Post
All those recommendations for Soapdish about the teens transforming into monsters they do not understand are really helpful for me too. I'm having the same problem while trying to plan out a similar story: non-Japanese girl puberties (totally a verb now) into a monster from Japanese mythology.
Puberties. I like it. And I am adopting it. *nods*

So...what Japanese monster are you working with, Umbrage? I looove Japanese mythology. I've never taken any of my ideas all the way through to writing an entire story, though. I have some sketched out ideas and a rough start to an urban fantasy about a Kitsune and a coffee shop. I hope to do more with it one day.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #7173
Umbrageofsnow
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Umbrageofsnow is on a distinguished road
Rokurokubi. Even if you know what they are, click the Wikipedia link for a super creepy painting by Hokusai.

Speaking of Japanese mythology, have you listened to "Biba Jibun" by Eugie Foster over at Pseudopod? I don't want to ruin things, but it is a contemporary horror-ish story about a girl from the country who moves to Tokyo. Different from a lot of her stuff, but Eugie Foster is awesome in most things. I swear she had a story somewhere about Kitsune which is why I thought of this.
Umbrageofsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #7174
soapdish
writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrageofsnow View Post
Rokurokubi. Even if you know what they are, click the Wikipedia link for a super creepy painting by Hokusai.
No, I hadn't heard of that one. But It's awesome.

Quote:
Speaking of Japanese mythology, have you listened to "Biba Jibun" by Eugie Foster over at Pseudopod? I don't want to ruin things, but it is a contemporary horror-ish story about a girl from the country who moves to Tokyo. Different from a lot of her stuff, but Eugie Foster is awesome in most things. I swear she had a story somewhere about Kitsune which is why I thought of this.
Oh--I'm there.

(most likely in the morning, but still.)

I'll have to see if I can dig up her Kitsune story, too. Thanks!

Last edited by soapdish; 05-24-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: how'd that get there?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #7175
soapdish
writing

*sigh* My Van Helsing info-dump thingy isn't Van Helsing-ish enough.

But I'm still gonna post it, I think.