Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
lukedc
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

lukedc is on a distinguished road
How many self-published books have you bought?

Hi,

I have been reading a lot here to understand how people sell and buy self-published books. However, I did not find any forum asking the questions, "How many books have you actually brought?" and "Why did you buy them?" Was it because someone told you about it? Did the summary should interesting? Or did you read a free chapter or volume?

In another forum I made, I was surprised to learn that friends and family of the author don't contribute much to e-book sales. So, I am wondering, what does?

I think that it would be interesting to see why people buy a self-published book in the first place. If we know why people buy a book, it would be easier to market a book that you write.

I have also read about Goodreads, do any of you use that?

Thank you

Last edited by lukedc; 05-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.
lukedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
robertbevan
practical experience, FTW

robertbevan has a spectacular aurarobertbevan has a spectacular aura
not to nit-pick (okay... specifically to nit-pick, but only because it was bothering me enough. "brought" is the past tense of "bring". i think "bought" is the word you're looking for.
robertbevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedc View Post
I am thinking about making an e-book site.
What skills and talents would you bring to such a site?

Are you thinking of making yet another display site?

They don't work.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
robertbevan

robertbevan has a spectacular aurarobertbevan has a spectacular aura
also... if you don't like to read or write, why are you looking to get into the book business at all?
robertbevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And also remember: e-book doesn't always mean self-published and vice versa. You can't use the two terms interchangeably.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
lukedc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbevan View Post
also... if you don't like to read or write, why are you looking to get into the book business at all?
I like to read, but I don't read voraciously as I am sure most of you do. I read a few books a month, mostly non-fiction.

Also, thanks for telling me about "bought."

Last edited by lukedc; 05-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I like to read, but I don't read voraciously as I am sure most of you do. I read a few books a month, mostly non-fiction.
Question stands. What do you think you're going to gain getting into the book business?
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Anne Lyle
Fantastic historian

Location: Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's hard to tell.
Anne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputationAnne Lyle has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
In another forum I made, I was surprised to learn that friends and family of the author don't contribute much to e-book sales. So, I am wondering, what does?
Writing a book that really strikes a chord with readers and makes them want to recommend it to friends. Or having an existing following (e.g. on fanfiction.net) that you can parlay into sales.

Self-publishing is exactly like commercial publishing in one important respect: no-one has any idea what's going to be the next big hit. A bit of promo helps get the word out initially, but after that it's down to the readers.

Anne Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
G. Applejack
Write faster! FASTER!

G. Applejack has a spectacular auraG. Applejack has a spectacular aura
I don't buy self-published books. I wait until they inevitably go for free.

Blog | Twitter
Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

Novels:

Touch Me Not - Loose Id
Second Skin - December 2013, Musa Publishing
G. Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Kriven
Sockpuppet

Kriven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Collins View Post
I don't buy self-published books. I wait until they inevitably go for free.
This without the sarcasm, but also for trade books.
Kriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
JustJas

JustJas is on a distinguished road
If something really catches my eye I buy it, or if it's highly recommended. I tend to stick to free stuff for my personal enjoyment but I do buy high ranking or well reviewed books in the genres I write in occasionally for research purposes.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for PresidentKatrina S. Forest should run for President
I've bought one self-published book and one book I thought was self-published at the time, but turned out to be a micro press. One I vaguely knew the author and felt bad that no one had showed up at the book signing except me. One I didn't know the author at all, but the book was a historical fiction about a lesser-known figure I had a great deal of interest in. I loved the latter and still haven't read the former. Neither are situations I think you could re-create on a massive scale.

I was also given a humorous self-published book about the frustrations of new mommyhood for my first mother's day. My husband had found it browsing Amazon and it was already doing quite well. I enjoyed that book very much too.

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)

My Every Day Fiction stories
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
eggs

eggs is on a distinguished road
I've probably *bought* about 20 self-published ebooks. I've tried more than that as freebees. I buy self-pubbed books by people who I've previously enjoyed when they were professionally published and I buy self-pubbed books that come highly recommended to me by someone who's reading preferences closely match my own. I work out the latter either via personal relationship or by matching up our Goodreads ratings.
eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
I've bought a couple, usually ones I've had my eye on for a while (either I've heard of them through here or another site I frequent) which go on sale.
I've downloaded a few that were offered free and I'm planning to buy the sequel of one of those at some point too.
I generally only buy books from stores if they are on sale (or if I desperately need them) so it's not that I necessarily value self pubbed books any less.
I'm just poor... I prefer to use the library.

Tempting the Unicorn

If the idea is not original, at least let it be unpredictable. If it is not unpredictable, let it be beautiful. If it is not beautiful, let it be meaningful. If it is not meaningful, let it go.
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
Katallina

Katallina has a spectacular auraKatallina has a spectacular aura
As a book blogger, I have many awesome opportunities to read, review and interact with self published authors. When I make friends with someone this way (which generally means I enjoyed their work anyway...) I am very likely to purchase their future work, get their current work in print if I can (I often get ebook versions for review) and promote their books if a conversation I'm having goes in a direction where that would be appropriate.

On the other hand, since I do review books and I get many requests, my reading time for other stuff can be very limited. "So many books, so little time." is an often thought phrase for me. If I had more time, I am sure that I would likely explore the self published book market in more detail since I find there are a lot of fresh and original ideas out there. One place I do often get my information on what is releasing, though, is a weekly feature called Fresh Batch at Xpresso Reads.

As a writer, I try to make time to take a look at books written by fellow authors who are on the same path that I hope to travel (I'm aiming to release my first book in early December). I don't do this unless a book interests me, and (because of time) I don't always get to do it as much as I want to. But I view it as good karma. Not all writers think this way, but I can only speak for myself.

Ultimately, though, my choice in reading material doesn't boil down to how a book is published. I'm generally more interested in who published it (author) and what it is about. If I don't like the premise, I don't read the sample. If I don't like the sample, I don't read the book. Those two things apply regardless of any situation.

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
(NA contemporary romance)
"I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads
Katallina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
fadeaccompli
here and there again

fadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admirationfadeaccompli has earned our admiration
I've grabbed free samples, or the free first book in a series, for a few self-published books. But the only time I've paid money for self-published books was when they were put out by people I already knew, and wanted to support in some way.

(And I should clarify: I don't mean this as "Self-published books suck!" It's just that none have quite made it past my personal tastes and standards onto a pay-money-for-more list yet. I'm sure some will eventually.)
fadeaccompli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
lukedc

Thank you all for your replies. I think it is kind of interesting how many of you mostly get free books. Why is that? Is is because the money is too much, or because you don't want to take a risk and waste your money if the book is bad?

Self-published books only cost a few dollars and that is a small amount. Suppose you buy 20 of them in one year, assuming $4, then that is only $80 a year. So, I would think that most of you don't buy them because you'd waste money if its not good.

Thank you once again.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
lukedc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildScribe View Post
Question stands. What do you think you're going to gain getting into the book business?
Well, I am just thinking about it. If I think that I can develop a unique site that will make it easier to sell self-published books, then I might try.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
mpclemens
Mad Typospherian

mpclemens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Well, I am just thinking about it. If I think that I can develop a unique site that will make it easier to sell self-published books, then I might try.
Easier than what? Smashwords does a pretty good job of the mechanics of sales fulfillment, as does Amazon, B&N, etc.. What will make your site unique?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Kriven
Sockpuppet

Kriven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies. I think it is kind of interesting how many of you mostly get free books. Why is that? Is is because the money is too much, or because you don't want to take a risk and waste your money if the book is bad?

Self-published books only cost a few dollars and that is a small amount. Suppose you buy 20 of them in one year, assuming $4, then that is only $80 a year. So, I would think that most of you don't buy them because you'd waste money if its not good.

Thank you once again.
I would gladly spend money for books if I weren't super poor :p
Kriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #21
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are already plenty of places where one can buy self-published books; and plenty of places which review them. I don't think the process could be made any easier. The only value in developing a new site would be, I think, if something new could be added to the mix; and to be honest, I can't think of what that might be.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #22
Alitriona
Attends The School of AW

Alitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of lightAlitriona is a glorious beacon of light
I buys lots of books, self published and trade. I don't pick one over the other. If something catches my eye, I will buy it. I don't set out to specifically buy self-published books.

Of course, if something is offered free I am happy to take it as long as it looks good, but I don't wait for books to go free. I'm a writer too and I kind of like the idea of readers actually buying my books, so I tend to do the same.

Last edited by Alitriona; 05-22-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Alitriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
I don't always know whether a book I buy is self-published. I suppose I could check, but it's neither a criterion nor a litmus test for me.
Al Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think there is any way you could compete with Amazon--you would need so much publicity to even let people know your store was out there, and part of the problem is that many self-published books just aren't particularly good.

As for how many I've bought, for me the answer is one self-published book, and probably two ebooks that weren't self-published. However, my boyfriend (the one with the reader) buys a ton of ebooks. He's never bought one that was self-published.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another book-review blog wouldn't be a bad thing.

But it should review all classes of books, self-published beside (and to the same standards as) commercially published books.

People aren't looking for the best (for whatever value of 'best' you want) self-published books, they want the best books, period.