Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #501
Mustafa
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mustafa is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguicha View Post

Also, let's not talk about the whole misogynist theme going on in Twilight - but suffice to say, it's present in FSoG as well.
Not to derail, but could you tell me a site where this is discussed about Twilight. I've heard the "misogynist" theme leveled against the books quite frequently, but I've not seen arguments to support that notion. I read the books and I didn't see that theme so I'm just curious (But I don't want to derail this thread).
Thanks.
Mustafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #502
Pinguicha
Has the cutest cat in the world!

Pinguicha is on a distinguished road
It was my general opinion upon reading the books (for instance, Bella's world revolves around Edward and their relationship and she literally tries to kill herself when he leaves her... I mean, is that the message you want to give young girls?).

You can read some people's opinions in these:
http://www.popehat.com/2009/12/15/tw...ere-i-said-it/
http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slack...tell-lies.html

Wish Upon A Star (Contemporary YA): 56k - Revising

The Road to Hell (Epic Fantasy YA): 9546/100k+

Pinguicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #503
brainstorm77
practical experience, FTW

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I read both books. I didn't see that they were much alike. I liked Twlight more that Fifty Shades. Bella had strange behaviour, but she came nowhere near the MC in Fifty Shades...
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #504
brainstorm77

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It was my general opinion upon reading the books (for instance, Bella's world revolves around Edward and their relationship and she literally tries to kill herself when he leaves her... I mean, is that the message you want to give young girls?).
It's not a good message, but that's reality for some girls. I knew many girls who had that mindset when I was a teen. Hell, at thirty-five I know women who still have this mindset.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #505
Pinguicha
Has the cutest cat in the world!

Pinguicha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstorm77 View Post
I read both books. I didn't see that they were much alike. I liked Twlight more that Fifty Shades. Bella had strange behaviour, but she came nowhere near the MC in Fifty Shades...
Really? I thought they were pretty much the same character... And I read FSoG before I knew it had been a Twilight fanfic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstorm77 View Post
It's not a good message, but that's reality for some girls. I knew many girls who had that mindset when I was a teen. Hell, at thirty-five I know women who still have this mindset.
That is what's so sad about it. Hell, SMeyer probably still has the mindset and she's what? 40-something? But I digress... Suffice to say, I found both books extremely sexist in a "my world revolves around a man" sort of way.

Wish Upon A Star (Contemporary YA): 56k - Revising

The Road to Hell (Epic Fantasy YA): 9546/100k+

Pinguicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #506
brainstorm77

Quote:
Really? I thought they were pretty much the same character... And I read FSoG before I knew it had been a Twilight fanfic.

That is what's so sad about it. Hell, SMeyer probably still has the mindset and she's what? 40-something? But I digress... Suffice to say, I found both books extremely sexist in a "my world revolves around a man" sort of way.
I didn't see them as being that much the same.

I thought Twilight was okay. The two middle books bored me to tears and I did a lot of skimming with those. Fifty Shades... Let's just say I won't get book #2.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #507
Mustafa

Quote:

You can read some people's opinions in these:
http://www.popehat.com/2009/12/15/tw...ere-i-said-it/
http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slack...tell-lies.html

Yeah, but misogyny is a hatred of women. That Bella wants to die when Edward leaves her is simply a character trait: Dramatic, highly dependent ....

I know why a lot of people hate the books, (they weren't my favorite reads either), but it was just people calling the books misogynistic that had me confused.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #508
Mustafa

Quote:
Writing a character a certain way does not mean the author endorses or feels that is appropriate. She's telling a story. In that story the lead is a rather uninteresting girl who isn't anything without her boyfriend. It's just a character.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #509
Amadan
Toaster

Amadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmadan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Writing a character a certain way does not mean the author endorses or feels that is appropriate. She's telling a story. In that story the lead is a rather uninteresting girl who isn't anything without her boyfriend. It's just a character.

The character and the story sends a message. While obviously an author does not necessarily share the attitude of her characters, there is such a thing as a narrative POV.

Bella is entirely defined by Edward, Edward is creepy on many levels, and this is written as a romance. Of course it's possible that Meyer did this deliberately and is baffled/laughing her way to the bank at all the people who think Edward and Bella are a model of a happy romantic couple - one never knows for sure what the author really thinks unless she tells you. But whether or not you believe the author's intent is relevant, you can certainly critique the message in any book.
Amadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #510
Mustafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
The character and the story sends a message. While obviously an author does not necessarily share the attitude of her characters, there is such a thing as a narrative POV.

Bella is entirely defined by Edward, Edward is creepy on many levels, and this is written as a romance. Of course it's possible that Meyer did this deliberately and is baffled/laughing her way to the bank at all the people who think Edward and Bella are a model of a happy romantic couple - one never knows for sure what the author really thinks unless she tells you. But whether or not you believe the author's intent is relevant, you can certainly critique the message in any book.
Edward is a 106 year old vampire. 106 year old man would be pretty creepy, let alone a vampire. I'm not trying to defend the book. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to equate a "message" (if that's what you want to call it) of a book to the belief system of the author.

Is there another thread we could take this discussion to? I'm happy to continue it, because i don't necessarily think there are "messages" in books and I'm curious about other's views on that, but I don't want to derail this thread.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #511
Soccer Mom
Crypto-fascist
SuperModerator

Soccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you would like to discuss Twilight, there is a thread in the Bookclub forum where it's been thoroughly dissected.

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti
Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #512
JKRowley

JKRowley is on a distinguished road
Have I missed the part of the discussion about how BAD this book is, yet it is like an epidemic? I was traveling this weekend. The girl next to me was reading "Fifty Shades...." I wandered into the bookstore and someone asked about it. Three or four women helped her find it and assured her it was good, including a senior citizen.

I am 60% through the book, and having trouble getting into it because of the writing. How do I take a sex book seriously when the MC refers to her nether regions as "down there?" That is not sexy.

All the murmuring and clambering is making me insane.

Twitter - @MoonOverMadison
Blog - http://jillysbookblog.blogspot.com
JKRowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #513
Lexxie
Avid reader and lover of fiction

Lexxie is on a distinguished road
I have friends in my bookclub who are reading this now, and I just feel sad that they think it's erotic and exciting. I have told them I can give them some recommendations for erotica if they would like to read more. Some are saying that they think what's even more important than the sex is the great love between Ana and Christian.

I still fail to see what is great about 50 Shades, and I admit that I have only skimmed through MotU - I don't want to pay for something I can read for free legally.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #514
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I dunno. I just think it's sad that women writing in the 19th century (Austen and Eliot, for example) were creating female characters of far more spunk and, well, character, than certain women writing in the 21st century -- and garnering huge female audiences.

Are those supposedly rent chains really so shiny?

(Imagine a modern Lady Catherine de Bourgh saying that -- hell, the de Bourghs didn't believe in entailing estates away from the female line all the way back then.)

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #515
fireluxlou

fireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputationfireluxlou has a golden reputation
Reading Fifty Shades of Grey - The After Hours With The Cast Of Snow White and the Huntsman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CCiM4L0j1s8

lmao at Charlize, Chris Hemsworth and Kristin.
fireluxlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 AM   #516
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
Reading Fifty Shades of Grey - The After Hours With The Cast Of Snow White and the Huntsman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CCiM4L0j1s8

lmao at Charlize, Chris Hemsworth and Kristin.
Wow. That was funny.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #517
LAgrunion
not to be taken seriously

LAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admiration
I just finished reading FSoG.

When I look around the internet and read the discussions on it (as well as hearing feedback from a couple of readers), it seems the consensus is that the writing is bad.

It looks like I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think it's that bad, writing-wise. I've certainly read worse published novels. I had pretty low expectations before starting, so that might've influenced my reaction.

Regarding the writing, my only complaint is that she's pretty repetitive with her incessant use of "holy crap" (and other permutations of the phrase). Sometimes, she repeats similar descriptions too often (e.g. raising eyebrows). Other than that, she's okay. I can tell she's educated and has a fair command of the language. Could it be edited better? Sure. But horrible writing? Not in my opinion.

That said, my take on what's good writing may be pretty out of tune with the literary world. I read a book that was a National Book Award finalist last year, and I hated it. Thought it was by far the worst writing I had read amongst the 50ish books I read the last couple years. The author would have these long, overly flowery sentences that run on forever (one time I counted at least four long clauses). The pretentiousness almost drove me to puree my eyeballs in a blender.

The story is probably the part that fails me, but to be fair to E.L. James, this is just my own taste. There is too much sex, and that gets monotonous after a while. I found myself skimming through the later sex scenes. But I guess if you're reading it for the sex, then it fulfills that duty. Not much of a story arc - pretty flat there. Although I suppose there are also books 2 and 3, so maybe the plot develops more later. Book 1 is really just about the two MCs' relationship (in particular the sexual). I'm intrigued by Christian's backstory (how he acquired his sexual preferences), but probably not enough to read more.
LAgrunion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #518
Mustafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgrunion View Post
The pretentiousness almost drove me to puree my eyeballs in a blender..
Let me just say, great line! Love it! haha.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #519
meowzbark

meowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewelmeowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgrunion View Post
I just finished reading FSoG.

When I look around the internet and read the discussions on it (as well as hearing feedback from a couple of readers), it seems the consensus is that the writing is bad.

It looks like I'm in the minority on this, but I don't think it's that bad, writing-wise. I've certainly read worse published novels. I had pretty low expectations before starting, so that might've influenced my reaction.

Regarding the writing, my only complaint is that she's pretty repetitive with her incessant use of "holy crap" (and other permutations of the phrase). Sometimes, she repeats similar descriptions too often (e.g. raising eyebrows). Other than that, she's okay. I can tell she's educated and has a fair command of the language. Could it be edited better? Sure. But horrible writing? Not in my opinion.

That said, my take on what's good writing may be pretty out of tune with the literary world. I read a book that was a National Book Award finalist last year, and I hated it. Thought it was by far the worst writing I had read amongst the 50ish books I read the last couple years. The author would have these long, overly flowery sentences that run on forever (one time I counted at least four long clauses). The pretentiousness almost drove me to puree my eyeballs in a blender.

The story is probably the part that fails me, but to be fair to E.L. James, this is just my own taste. There is too much sex, and that gets monotonous after a while. I found myself skimming through the later sex scenes. But I guess if you're reading it for the sex, then it fulfills that duty. Not much of a story arc - pretty flat there. Although I suppose there are also books 2 and 3, so maybe the plot develops more later. Book 1 is really just about the two MCs' relationship (in particular the sexual). I'm intrigued by Christian's backstory (how he acquired his sexual preferences), but probably not enough to read more.
I agree with you. I can suffer through some fairy horrendous writing if the characters and plot are interesting.

I have yet to finish the book, because I don't like the characters Anastasia or Christian AT ALL. I haven't, honestly, read the book far enough to reach a sex scene, so I can't say whether or not they're good.

Locked out of Heaven - YA Paranormal, on 3rd draft revising.

|Book Review Blog |Twitter|
meowzbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #520
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post

I have yet to finish the book, because I don't like the characters Anastasia or Christian AT ALL. I haven't, honestly, read the book far enough to reach a sex scene, so I can't say whether or not they're good.
My sister said you have to fight your way to Chapter 8.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #521
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And the head of Knopf announced this morning -- according to the twitter -- that they've now sold more than ten million copies of books from the series.

ETA: Here's a link to the statement via the New York Times.

Black Feathers -- 2013
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006

Last edited by willietheshakes; 05-23-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Edited to add link.
willietheshakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #522
Mustafa

Well, that does make me happy only because that means more money for Knopf to take a shot on some newer authors.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #523
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Well, that does make me happy only because that means more money for Knopf to take a shot on some newer authors.
Precisely.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #524
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The success of 50 Shades has created a positive halo effect for at least one author: Sylvia Day's self-pubbed book Bared To You was picked up by Berkley in a "major deal" ($500K+).

http://www.pr.com/press-release/402360

A well-deserved success!

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #525
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
The success of 50 Shades has created a positive halo effect for at least one author: Sylvia Day's self-pubbed book Bared To You was picked up by Berkley in a "major deal" ($500K+).

http://www.pr.com/press-release/402360

A well-deserved success!
Wow, that's good. That's great. I wish her much success and many sales.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote