Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
AlwaysJuly
slugging through

AlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of lightAlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of lightAlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of light
Looking for a French speaker...

I hope this is the right place to paste this. I don't need a native French speaker, just someone reasonably fluent, as part of my novel's dialogue takes place in an upper-level high school French class and I need a translation.

I can paste the dialogue in here if there are any takers. The help would be much appreciated -- I know very little French, don't ask me where the need for French dialogue came from.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Bulletproof
live every week like it' shark week

Bulletproof is on a distinguished road
If it's high school french, an imperfect translation is more authentic

Send me a PM (saying if you want it slightly flawed and for which speakers) and I'll do it.
Bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

Nymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PM me the text, and tell me how perfect or imperfect you want the French to be.

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.” ~ Terry Pratchett
Nymtoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Snick
Banned

Snick is a shiny, shiny jewelSnick is a shiny, shiny jewel
WHy don't you post it. I have been told that my accent is excellent, but i don't remember all of the words.
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Yasaibatake
is her own imaginary friend

Yasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admirationYasaibatake has earned our admiration
I'm a French teacher and I'd be happy to imitate some of my students for you Here or by PM is fine.

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed
Yasaibatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Bing Z
illiterate primate

Bing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admiration
I guess AlwaysJuly's received useful helps via PM. But if people don't mind, I'd appreciate an English to French dialogue translation (those in blue) as well. Thanks.

Teen Guy offers teen girl a favor.
Girl: “Do I have to sleep with you?
Guy: “Do you have to ask?

It's a friendly flirt, not serious. They are very close friends, both in New York. Guy learns French from school, girl from her native French father & from school.
Bing Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

Nymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are dozens of ways they might say these things, some more slangy than others. But here are a couple of fairly straightforward translations:

Girl: "Si j'accepte, tu vas sans doute attendre que je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

Boy: "Tu trouves cette question vraiment nécessaire?"

or he might just say: "Évidemment, ma chérie." (Especially if his French isn't very advanced.)

If you don't find these satisfactory, ask me again.

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Last edited by Nymtoc; 05-21-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Nymtoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Bing Z
illiterate primate

Bing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admirationBing Z has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymtoc View Post
Girl: "Si j'accepte, tu vas sans doute attendre que je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

Boy: "Tu trouves cette question vraiment nécessaire?"

or he might just say: "Évidemment, ma chérie." (Especially if his French isn't very advanced.)
Thanks!!!

The girl part seems lengthy. Will this work?: "je couche avec toi, n'est-ce pas?"

I like the guy's response, the longer one. It's a little more clumsy but the guy's actually gay. And the meaning of your suggestion can swing either way and I like it.
Bing Z is offline   Reply With Quote