Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Erotica
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #751
EriRae
:P

EriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEriRae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am not a fan of "weeping," as in, "weeping slit," or "rosebud." Something that can squick me right out of a scene: a character saying, "Breed my ass." This makes me think of injecting a female donkey with semen. I also dislike the word, "globes," to describe either ass cheeks or breasts. Globes are 360 degrees, so maybe I could handle "half-globes," if the word didn't draw me so far out of the story. Who wants to think about geography when they're reading erotica? Is he gripping Australia or South America?

"I never knew a girl who was ruined by a book"--James Walker
If the Holocaust was horrible, then my day at work is FANTASTIC.

I still love you, Freddie: September 5, 1946 - November 24, 1991. "Too much love will kill you in the end." ~ Queen
EriRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #752
silent_count
Eats souls... 'cause they're yummy.

silent_count is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EriRae View Post
I also dislike the word, "globes," to describe either ass cheeks or breasts. Globes are 360 degrees, so maybe I could handle "half-globes," if the word didn't draw me so far out of the story. Who wants to think about geography when they're reading erotica? Is he gripping Australia or South America?
I've always been mildly curious about why they call Australia, "down under". I confess that, "it came about because some erotica writers incorrectly use the word 'globe'", had hitherto not occurred to me. :)
silent_count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #753
Tally
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Tally is on a distinguished road
I recently read a story where it was a dagger and sheath every time. Every time. It was dagger and sheath so much that eventually I couldn't help but imagine an actual dagger, and suddenly the whole story became oh so painful to read.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #754
WriterDude
Going grey.

WriterDude has a spectacular aura
Can I add the word clout?

I was using the word in two different contexts long before the third meaning was brought to my attention.

What does clout mean to you?
WriterDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #755
Silver-Midnight
"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat

Silver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputationSilver-Midnight has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Can I add the word clout?

I was using the word in two different contexts long before the third meaning was brought to my attention.

What does clout mean to you?
I'm afraid to ask what's the definition that put it in this thread.

Twitter
Silver-Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #756
WriterDude
Going grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Midnight View Post
I'm afraid to ask what's the definition that put it in this thread.
When I was a child, a clout was something you'd receive if you were naughty.
Then, I learned that if anything needed to get done, I would have to speak to someone with clout down the council.
Now, having moved to the other side of the hill, clout is more exclusively used with reference to the most desirable of all things. The front bottom.

It may just be a Lancashire thing, but following the uniform expressions of speechless horror when I used the term in a planning meeting many years ago, I thought the latter use was universal.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #757
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've only heard the word 'clout' used to mean power and connections ("The police commissioner has the clout to make these tickets disappear."), never a blow and certainly never any aspect of female anatomy.

Language. Amazing stuff, isn't it?

Maryn, big language fan
Old 07-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #758
CaseyMack
Write more; worry less!

CaseyMack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Blake View Post
Moist and damp are awful words.
When I hear "moist," I think cake.

When I hear "damp," I think mildew.

In neither case do I think "sex"...
CaseyMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #759
M.Macabre
The Walrus.

M.Macabre is well-respected
Echoing the whole clout mystery. As in a target? When I hear clout I think of clot, some sort of bloody, bundled medical nightmare of a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMack View Post
When I hear "moist," I think cake.

Moist is my least favorite word. Just say it- it makes me want to gargle. But for some reason, that makes it more salacious because I hate it so much.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #760
WriterDude
Going grey.

But moist is such a promising word.

I have a line in my wip "...her knickers were sodden" Good or bad?

Don't want to start a new thread for this one either, but I have thoroughly bored myself with the word Twitch and I'm looking for replacement.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 AM   #761
M.Macabre
The Walrus.

M.Macabre is well-respected
Quote:
But moist is such a promising word.

Don't want to start a new thread for this one either, but I have thoroughly bored myself with the word Twitch and I'm looking for replacement.
When I hear sodden I think lumpy :/ Which makes it sound like she's sick,
but that's probably just me.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #762
GiantRampagingPencil
That new author smell . . .

GiantRampagingPencil is a shiny, shiny jewelGiantRampagingPencil is a shiny, shiny jewel
"Vulva." Ugliest. Word. Ever. Closely followed by "scrotum."
GiantRampagingPencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #763
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Macabre View Post
When I hear sodden I think lumpy :/ Which makes it sound like she's sick,
but that's probably just me.
When I hear the word sodden I think of a heavy blanket that was left out in the rain. *shudder*
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #764
GiantRampagingPencil
That new author smell . . .

GiantRampagingPencil is a shiny, shiny jewelGiantRampagingPencil is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by platedlizard View Post
I actually knew a dog named Scrotum. He was a terrier/mutt who was a falconer's dog... nothing like watching a grown man yell "Scrotum!" in the middle of a blackberry bush while this ugly little dog flushes out a rabbit for a hawk. Totally not sexy (okay, the falconer was... something about men wearing leather chaps)

"Nether hole." Cunt. Asshole. "Channel". I guess there's a fine line between too crude or too flowery.
Nether hole? Jesus.
GiantRampagingPencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #765
Kit Walker
Ghost Who Walks

Kit Walker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I dunno -- "sodden" always makes me think not just "wet" but "wet and dirty/soiled". Would "her knickers were soaked" work for you?
Kit Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #766
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
ticklestick.

(i think it was Ken Dodd who coined it, not sure. oh, and 'up the wazooo'. )
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #767
Julie Ambrose
Reader, I married him...

Julie Ambrose is on a distinguished road
Smile

Actually, I quite like vulva. It reminds me of velvet. I use it a fair bit, but always among a range of softer descriptions. I reckon it's all about context.

This is a great thread. I find it so hard to be both accurate and sensual without cliché (or, worse, over-reaching). Almost impossible, actually. I agree with many of the gag words... Purple helmeted warrior is gasp-inducing.

Having said that, I hate to think how many individual terms I've included that make the vision blur... 'Manhood' is one I've relied on a little too often (but then I'm working in an old-fashioned context).

But really, the lexicon is limited... I'd love to hear someone invent a new and delightful word for each body part.

I used 'pestle' once... Now that could make people laugh, or in the right context they might go with it.

Last edited by Julie Ambrose; 07-16-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Smilie malfunction... :)
Julie Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #768
Feral_Sophisticate
Warming maid's buttocks since 1989.

Location: Meadowvale, Ontario, Canada, Earth, The Sol System, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster
Feral_Sophisticate has earned our admirationFeral_Sophisticate has earned our admirationFeral_Sophisticate has earned our admirationFeral_Sophisticate has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Ambrose View Post
Actually, I quite like vulva. It reminds me of velvet. I use it a fair bit, but always among a range of softer descriptions. I reckon it's all about context.
I like the comparison with velvet, too, and I get the same connection when I hear "vulva", too.

Of course, I'm also an unabashed fan of performing cunnilingus, and quite enjoy the fact that the Victorian slang for eating at the Y was "tipping the velvet".

So yes, more velvet for me, please.

“In any relationship, the person who has the least interest has the greatest power.”
- Willard Waller

"Nosce te ipsum." - Latin proverb

My shmexy Tumblr blog...
Feral_Sophisticate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #769
Tezzirax
practical experience, FTW

Tezzirax has a spectacular aura
Cooch - lowers my pulsrate immediately. If I am ever going into de-fib just lovingly whisper "cooch" in my ear.
Tezzirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #770
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hehe, Cooch makes me giggle.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #771
Goblynmarket
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Location: Learning the difference between assholes and elbows
Goblynmarket is on a distinguished road
I'm a big fan of vulva. The word too, but I can't think of it without thinking of the chocolate vulva-pops they sold at the Vagina Monologes.

The worst, not really disgusting or a turn-off, but just down right confusing was 'bilobate', having two lobes. It was used for a woman's chest. I read the line ten times, and even googled it to be sure. To date I'm still don't exacting know what the author was trying to say about her breast. That she did in fact have two of them?

Hoo-haa is fun too.