Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
"There are two cardinal rules when writing a short story:"

From a review of Fires of Our Choosing, by Eugene Cross (which I'm not familiar with):

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...o-burn-634633/

Quote:
There are two cardinal rules when writing a short story: the first sentence should compel the reader to continue, and tension should appear on the first page.
Of course there are plenty of other rules, and at the same time there are no rules, but you could do far worse than attend to these two elements.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Orchestra
practical experience, GTFO

Orchestra is well-respected
A question to all: If you could only choose two, what rules would you say are most important to your writing? Try to be more specific than "Make it interesting".
Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Lillie
practical experience, FTW
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Finish it.
Sub it.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Shadow_Ferret
Ride 'em, Cowferret!

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
There are two cardinal rules when writing a short story: the first sentence should compel the reader to continue, and tension should appear on the first page.

I've know a lot of short stories that didn't follow these rules and had I abandoned them simply because of it, I'd have missed out on some great short stories.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
RobJ
Banned

RobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for PresidentRobJ should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
I've know a lot of short stories that didn't follow these rules and had I abandoned them simply because of it, I'd have missed out on some great short stories.
Yeah, I do too. Then again, I can think of a few that might have been better for following these, also.
RobJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why do the cardinals get to set the rules?

Rules for my writing? Less whining, more action.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really can't think of many stories that don't follow those two rules, except by misinterpretation of what these rules mean. I also can't understand why anyone would write a story that didn't follow these two rules?
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Guess so. I try not to think about stuff like this and just write.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
Lady MacBeth
Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.

Lady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthoodLady MacBeth is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie View Post
Finish it.
Sub it.

lol. That's pretty much my motto too.
Lady MacBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
JCedonia
figuring it all out

JCedonia is on a distinguished road
1. Throw the charrie into hell/difficult situation.
2. Find out how they get out--in as few words as possible.

Actually, that doesn't just go for my short stories, that goes for my fiction in general. Obviously, I like plot-driven stories.
JCedonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I guess I try to follow those rules in one form or another, but I don't get too hung up on the wording of the rules more than the wording of the story.

My writing improved greatly once I realized that I don't have to explain who these people are and how they got to where they are. I just start with them doing what they are doing to make the story happen.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Orchestra
practical experience, GTFO

Orchestra is well-respected
OK, I've finally come up with my two.

Don't mind the gap. Readers need a lot less hand-holding than you think. No need to spell everything out. Small details carry a long way and things left unsaid are often just as effective. Same goes for events: subtract them from your story until it breaks.

Go for the jugular. Write towards problems, not away from them. When in doubt, always choose the more emotionally painful option. Never miss a chance to play with shame, guilt, anxiety or regret. And if you're afraid to write something, write just that.
Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Al Stevens

Al Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolnessAl Stevens leaves trails of profuse coolness
1. Get the coffee going.
2. Turn the computer on.
Al Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
Nostro

Nostro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchestra View Post
A question to all: If you could only choose two, what rules would you say are most important to your writing? Try to be more specific than "Make it interesting".

1. Write about characters that are as relatable to as many people as possible. This is not meant as a savvy marketing choice. Rather, I want to provide protagonists that the reader can readily adapt to, someone who you can imagine bumping into on the street.

This is far more difficult than I originally imagined. My second rule is something that may or may not be a cardinal rule of my writing. But I find myself doing it, or striving to do it, whenever I start a new story.

2. Don't write about realistic situations, or avoid social realism. My favourite short stories tend to be have aspects of magical realism and/or are very intertextual. I enjoy having my everyday characters navigate worlds where reality is slightly more malleable than they are used to.
Nostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
Mikael.
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mikael. is on a distinguished road
1. Laugh.
2. Cry.

Hope I pull it off sometime, would be sweet.
Mikael. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #16
phineas12gauge

phineas12gauge is on a distinguished road
I think those two rules apply to most types of writing
phineas12gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
GingerGunlock
paralibrarian

GingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of lightGingerGunlock is a glorious beacon of light
1. Make it smart
2. Make it real

My Doberman/dogs blog: The Elka Almanac
GingerGunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Raphee
In debt to AW

Raphee is a shiny, shiny jewelRaphee is a shiny, shiny jewel
I like shorts that have humor or an element of irreverence.
Second I like shorts that have an interesting, new take on situations, even everyday events.

As for the cardinal rules, can't say much, I am not sure they even exist.
Raphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchestra View Post
#1 Don't stop writing until it's done
#2 Don't stop subbing until it's sold

~

If you're wanting craft rules, then...

#1 The writer needs to ground the reader into the story's world
#2 The writer needs to make the reader sympathize with the main character, whether they fucking like it or not.

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can I ask what a 'charrie' is?
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #21
Ralyks
Untold stories inside

Ralyks is a glorious beacon of lightRalyks is a glorious beacon of light
Those two rules seem reasonable aims to me, although I give writers more than one sentence.

It's not a rule, but I like to keep in mind Edgar Allan Poe's "single effect."

https://www.facebook.com/romanceauthor
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
JWNelson
Enjoying the ride if I get to drive

JWNelson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Finish it.
Sub it.
Can't put it much better than that.

JWNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #23
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Finish it.
Sub it.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew View Post
#2 The writer needs to make the reader sympathize with the main character, whether they fucking like it or not.
I hear everyone say "you need sympathetic characters," to which I ask: Why? I've read sympathetic characters--a lot of them, in fact--and in the end, I didn't care for them anymore than the characters who're rotten bastards. (Actually, the rotten bastards tend to have the better voice.)

Honestly, I believe it's the interesting characters that make me want to invest in them, the ones who are slightly (or really) fucked up. There's something compelling about those screwy characters, you want to read on, figure out what makes them tick, if they ever get through their struggles (either external or internal). And those are the characters who will give you one hell of a ride.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #24
MVK
figuring it all out

MVK is on a distinguished road
The two rules of pro wrestling seem to apply to some genres of short stories. Never be boring. Have no shame.

Currently reading: Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
Books Read Recently: Agatha H. and the Airship City by Phil and Kaja Foglio
The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling
MVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
djunamod

djunamod is on a distinguished road
I would say the 2 rules of short stories quoted from the article would apply to any work of fiction, including longer works.

Djuna
djunamod is offline   Reply With Quote