Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #3951
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Here's my insight into Buzzy, for whatever it's worth:

My first submission to them was a very light, very adventure-oriented urban fantasy story, which they bought.

My second submission to them was a sequel to the above-mentioned story, with the same main character, which (I think) is better than the first story. I got a form rejection for that one.

A few weeks afterward, I got to meet the two owners/editors of Buzzy Magazine in person at a local convention. They were a pleasure to talk to, and they mentioned that they brought on an editor who, in their words "is much tougher than we are."

So the stories you're seeing being published now were originally accepted by Joy and June, who are no longer directly involved in the selection process. I *think* the new editor is Laura Ann Gilman, but I've never interacted with her directly or know her preferences. The one R I got from her was signed Buzzy Staff.

One final data point: My third and current submission is a humor fantasy story (think Robert Aspin) and it's at 33 days, so it may have at least survived the first round of consideration (as they sent out dozens of Rs today) so I hope that the estimation about them enjoying light fluffy stories is a good one because there aren't as many great markets for those, and I love writing/reading them personally.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #3952
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
I got a form rejection from Fantastic Stories today and was wondering if anyone else got their response from them as well. It sounds like a higher-tier form (the much-potential bit), but you never know, so I'd like to compare notes. This is what I got:

--
Thank you for your recent submission to Fantastic Frontiers Magazine.
While we appreciate your submission, at this time we are unable to find a
place for it in our magazine.

We think that you have much potential, and we hope that you submit to our
magazine in the future.

Our August/September deadline for fiction submissions is June 15, 2012.
---
Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #3953
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Marzioli has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
I got a form rejection from Fantastic Stories today and was wondering if anyone else got their response from them as well. It sounds like a higher-tier form (the much-potential bit), but you never know, so I'd like to compare notes.
Rejection twins! I got the same form. However we're both fine writers, so perhaps we both got the higher tier? I must say, if this is sent out to EVERY submission it's unfair to those who sincerely need to hone their craft. When we were beginners we all needed a good boot in the backside to let us know there was room for growth, otherwise we would have remained in blissful ignorance.

Recent Publications:
- "The (Zeroes and) Ones We Love" @ Ares Magazine, July 2014

- "Splotch of Red" @ DarkFuse Anthology Series, June 2014

Blog:
Tales From Marz

Last edited by Marzioli; 05-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Marzioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #3954
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai View Post
Cool, my story is flash too . It's a strange little story (it's sci-fi), but I'm hoping it's weirdness sets it apart in a good way.

Maybe, but I'm not expecting to hear any results for maybe another month. It seems like the results for Q1 are still being decided, and there's been a lot of upheaval with the contest (mainly the fact that K.D. Wentworth, the contest's previous first reader, recently passed away).
Based upon the recent knowledge imparted upon me, I'm not expecting a reply for a few months. I talked to someone on this board recently, and they'd already gotten a letter regarding the contest saying (in a paraphrase) that they'd get an honorable mention.

Does my purple prose hurt you? If so, I'll try not to make it a nasty habit.
WordCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #3955
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
R from Buzzy, Shock Totem, and Shenandoah today.

Still waiting on Cincinnati Review (106 days) and Shimmer (14 days).
And considering their recent RT, one might come in from Glimmer Train any day/minute/hour now too.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #3956
mhaynes
practical experience, FTW

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
I hope that the estimation about them enjoying light fluffy stories is a good one because there aren't as many great markets for those, and I love writing/reading them personally.
It's certainly a market niche which doesn't seem to be well-filled at the moment.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #3957
kd1984

kd1984 is on a distinguished road
My horror story is still out at Buzzy at 34 days. I also am somewhat surprised that they only have one horror story listed on the site, so when it comes to their horror market, I took a wild stab in the dark with the story I sent them. It's hard horror. As of now though, it's crickets from them.
kd1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #3958
O'Dandelo

O'Dandelo is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd1984 View Post
My horror story is still out at Buzzy at 34 days. I also am somewhat surprised that they only have one horror story listed on the site, so when it comes to their horror market, I took a wild stab in the dark with the story I sent them. It's hard horror. As of now though, it's crickets from them.
Good luck with your hard horror. Mine was more sad, dark literary. Let's hope yours has some action to propel it into an acceptance.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #3959
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
R from Sword & Sorceress. Looks like a form, but a very nice one.

Quote:
Thank you for sending us "Damsel." This is a perfectly good story, but it doesn't quite have the feel I want for Sword & Sorceress. Try this on another market.
So. That's that. Onward and upward.

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE

A.G. Carpenter : updated 7.14
@Aggy_C
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3960
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
4-day R from Shimmer.
Seems weird that it'd be personal after such a short time, is this just another one of those markets that gives generic "advice" in their form?

Quote:
Dear Taylor,

Thank you for your submission, "House Call," but I'm afraid we're going to pass.

The core of the story had some potential, but I felt like the narrative began a little earlier in the work than it should have.

Good luck with your continued writing.

My Flash Fiction Blog (Last updated 12/27/12: "On Speaking With Ghosts)
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #3961
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor V View Post
4-day R from Shimmer.
Seems weird that it'd be personal after such a short time, is this just another one of those markets that gives generic "advice" in their form?
No, Shimmer does not give generic advice.

If you want to be really impressed, check out a rejection from The Colored Lens sometime. Often sub-24 hours and with multiple sentences of commentary.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #3962
Marzioli
Could be worse!

And there's my Lightspeed at 2 days.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #3963
sarahthegrey
figuring it all out

sarahthegrey is on a distinguished road
19-day R at DSF with "P.S. An almost" at the bottom. This was a 4400ish word story, and I know they're pickier the longer it gets. Hoping this bodes well for the story's future, though--I really like this one and would love to see it placed somewhere.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #3964
WordCount

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahthegrey View Post
19-day R at DSF with "P.S. An almost" at the bottom. This was a 4400ish word story, and I know they're pickier the longer it gets. Hoping this bodes well for the story's future, though--I really like this one and would love to see it placed somewhere.
That's good! (And makes me even more happy about my 900 word story that's 18 days old.)

If you haven't already, you should probably give Lightspeed a try.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #3965
Marzioli
Could be worse!

And 21-day Shimmer R. They "really liked" the concept, but it didn't have the emotional depth they were looking for. Not a bad rejection, overall.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 05-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #3966
kd1984

And there's my 21 day Shimmer R. Was wondering about this one. It was personal, but I don't really know how to take it.

Feeling incredibly defeated today.

Last edited by kd1984; 05-14-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #3967
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
I just posted about my 21-day R from them above too. Just remember that editors are a fickle lot. We can have an amazing professional quality story, but it's only that mysterious, perhaps undefinable, subjective nudge that really fishes out their wallets. None of my (admittedly meager number of) sales have been first-market subs; all were proceeded by a healthy fistful of ambivalent R's.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #3968
kd1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzioli View Post
I just posted about my 21-day R from them above too. Just remember that editors are a fickle lot. We can have an amazing professional quality story, but it's only that mysterious subjective nudge that really fishes out their wallets. None of my (admittedly meager number of) sales have been first-market subs; all were proceeded by a healthy fistful of ambivalent R's.
I hear you, and normally, I have an incredibly thick skin, but I had SUCH hope for that little story.

I should know better. I had a story published last month that took a year to find the right market, but...

It must be the rain. And maybe also that third glass of wine...

I wish you luck finding another place to put your story!!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #3969
Marzioli
Could be worse!

Quote:
I wish you luck finding another place to put your story!!
You too! I'm trying Buzzy next. Perhaps the new editor will enjoy its darkly somber, yet ultimately hopeful, tone.

Recent Publications:

Blog:
Tales From Marz
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 AM   #3970
WordCount

Upon checking my duotrope, I noticed that my DSF story has actually been in submission for 19 days. Crickets, crickets. I hope they last!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 AM   #3971
zanzjan
May bite.
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
And there's my 21 day Shimmer R. Was wondering about this one. It was personal, but I don't really know how to take it.

Sometimes they hit that way. Hoping your story finds its right home for you soon.

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #3972
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

At least you didn't get form letter, so you know they actually read it. You'll find a home for the story.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #3973
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCount View Post
Upon checking my duotrope, I noticed that my DSF story has actually been in submission for 19 days. Crickets, crickets. I hope they last!
You will hear from them one way or another in the next day or two. They're VERY consistent that way. Hopefully it's the round 2 bump e-mail. Then you're in for a few more weeks of waiting.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #3974
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

Woke up to find my second higher-tier R from Lightspeed in a row. Up until this month I've only had basic R forms from them, and now two "nicely written" forms in a row. Moving in the right direction?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #3975
sammyjwebb

sammyjwebb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Woke up to find my second higher-tier R from Lightspeed in a row. Up until this month I've only had basic R forms from them, and now two "nicely written" forms in a row. Moving in the right direction?
Sounds like you're getting close to hitting their sweet spot! Way to go.

Blog Twitter

sammyjwebb is offline   Reply With Quote