Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #3226
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay, Kitty!

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #3227
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
Good for you, Kitty! You will be a wonderful teacher. And you already know what you're getting into, so there will be fewer nasty surprises.

And congrats on the sales, Mike! I'm glad to hear people are noticing an upswing in sales of children's books. Seriously glad.

My agent just forwarded a nice full request from an editor. She said it sounded great and she liked the title. Cross your fingers for me, pleeeze!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #3228
MsJudy
practical experience, FTW

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ooh, Ruth! Crossing all fingers and toes...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #3229
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay, Kitty!

Fingers crossed, Ruth!

Bouncies for all.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #3230
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Oh, Ruth! Super Congratulations. I hope she loves the whole thing. Or he.

I'll keep my toes crossed. I'm using my fingers.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #3231
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Today at work something quite gross happened. I won't say what but it necessitated a letter home to a parent. Then I did a bunch of schoolwork when I got home, so some of the glamor has worn off I'm ready for Friday!

I had a really good job interview for a summer camp gig today--small, high paid day camp at a country club. I'd only have to work half the weeks of the summer, and earn the same as I make during the year. I have another interview with them in a couple days. Fingers crossed!
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3232
Smish
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck, Kitty!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #3233
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
Kitty, Best of luck with the job!

Ruth, That's great news, now the waiting begins (again)!

Sage, Congratulations on your new Release!
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #3234
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
I wish all of you would bounce really high for me today. We're burying my mother-in-law this afternoon. My little Aspie isn't handling it too well, but better than I expected. It's been a pretty long week.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #3235
Smish
AW Moderator

Awww, sissy, I'm so sorry. Many bouncies and many hugs.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #3236
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputationheza has a golden reputation
*hugs* for Sissy. I'm so sorry about the loss. Everyone will be in my thoughts.

Here's a bounce.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #3237
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Congrats Mike!

Good luck Ruth and Kitty!

And I'm so sorry for your loss, sissybaby. Bounces and hugs.

I drive by a house everyday while taking my kids to school. Well, I drive by lots of houses, of course, but this small house has a teeny front yard with a giant metal T-Rex (like, 7-8 feet tall) taking up most of the space. What is great about it is that they dress it up depending on the holiday. At Christmas, T-Rex was eating Rudolph. For Halloween, it was dressed up as Barney the Dinosaur and had a pumpkin bucket in its tiny hand. Today, it was wearing a sombrero and holding a giant chili pepper. I just love the person who does this. It's so much fun to drive around the corner and see T-Rex.

Oh, I just searched for a picture to share, and the dinosaur has his own facebook page. Here's Easter -

Anyway, Happy Friday everyone!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #3238
MJWare

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
Does that dino have a chain-leash to keep him from wandering off?!

I can see the headlines now, Animatronics T-Rex Terrorizes Local Neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaJG View Post
Congrats Mike!

Good luck Ruth and Kitty!

And I'm so sorry for your loss, sissybaby. Bounces and hugs.

I drive by a house everyday while taking my kids to school. Well, I drive by lots of houses, of course, but this small house has a teeny front yard with a giant metal T-Rex (like, 7-8 feet tall) taking up most of the space. What is great about it is that they dress it up depending on the holiday. At Christmas, T-Rex was eating Rudolph. For Halloween, it was dressed up as Barney the Dinosaur and had a pumpkin bucket in its tiny hand. Today, it was wearing a sombrero and holding a giant chili pepper. I just love the person who does this. It's so much fun to drive around the corner and see T-Rex.

Oh, I just searched for a picture to share, and the dinosaur has his own facebook page. Here's Easter -

Anyway, Happy Friday everyone!

]

Last edited by MJWare; 05-05-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Didn't need the photo
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #3239
RuthD

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
Thanks for the crossed fingers!

Sissybaby, I'm so sorry for your family's loss.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #3240
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Big hugs for you, sissybaby.

Sheila, that is the coolest T Rex ever! When I am old and rich, I'm gonna get me one.

I have knitting to do this weekend... A friend who has been hoping to adopt got the call yesterday that there's a baby for her! 5 weeks preemie, but quite healthy--no machines, just needs to get his weight up and he can go home. So I get to knit a quick kimono--already have a hat ready.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #3241
Smish
AW Moderator

I want a T-Rex!!

My nickname at work is actually T-Rex. It's a mean nickname, though. I'm short and therefore can't ever reach anything.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #3242
MJWare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
I want a T-Rex!!

My nickname at work is actually T-Rex. It's a mean nickname, though. I'm short and therefore can't ever reach anything.
Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with your temper? -J/K
Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #3243
monkeymum

monkeymum is on a distinguished road
sissybaby

Have fun with the knitting MsJudy. Something I always wished I could do, but never progressed beyond a shapeless, holey scarf

Been away from the boards for a bit, trying to get a very nasty report finished for work, as well as getting my first attempt at a novel done. Now I'm having some kind of weird anticlimax. Although I've subbed it, I'm prepared to trunk it. I'm going to allow myself a little bounce though, because it's served its purpose in teaching me loads and proving to myself that I can finish, so hopefully, the next attempt will be a slightly less anxious!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #3244
RuthD

Aw, a baby!! MsJudy, your friend must be on .
Ditto with the knitting, Monkeymum. Me and yarn just don't get along.

The t-rex is awesome, Sheila. We have some people down the street who decorate like crazy for every holiday. But we've got nothing as cool as that tyrannosaurus.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #3245
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck, Ruth

*hugs* sissybaby

Thanks, mware

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #3246
Britwriter

Britwriter is well-respected
I'm so sorry for your loss, Sissybaby.
Britwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #3247
sissybaby

Oh. My. Goodness. All those bounces and condolences have brightened my day. But the baby news is the very best. And those hand-made gifts are so special. I still have the green crocheted baby shawl my Mammy made me, plus a little dress, and they are very, very old, but I would never part with them. I saved special blankies that good friends made for each of my kids.

And I, too, want a T-Rex. That's wonderful. Some people are amazingly creative.

Thank you all so much.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #3248
MsJudy

Spent yesterday at out local mall for the annual Student Authors' Fair. Kids from local schools throughout the county displaying their hand-made books. This was the first time our table was near the microphone, so I got to hear the braver kids read their stories out loud.

Such fun!

One of my favorites was a second-grade class book. They'd read "What a Wonderful World" (an illustrated version of the Louis Armstrong classic) and then each kid wrote their own version.

"I smell chicken enchiladas cooking in the oven, and I think to myself, What a yummy world."

really charming. I'm going to copy the idea.

Then there was the first-grade girl's story about a mean girl. She was mean because her dress was really ugly... She was so mean, she killed a butterfly. But then she felt sad, so she didn't kill it.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #3249
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJudy View Post

Then there was the first-grade girl's story about a mean girl. She was mean because her dress was really ugly... She was so mean, she killed a butterfly. But then she felt sad, so she didn't kill it.
Love it! A story full of drama and pathos. Also logic.

I spend 7 hours yesterday helping my friend clean her house. In that time my partner and I cleaned the living room and the kitchen, minus the kitchen floor and fridge. We also filled an entire small dumpster with junk and took an SUV-load of stuff to Salvation Army. It was a tour de force. I scrubbed so much grime and grease that I woke up in the middle of the night with my arm in intense pain.

Today I am merely lazing about and doing schoolwork and being annoyed by the guy mowing the lot next door.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #3250
MsJudy

Kitty, someday I want a friend like you. That's a lot of cleaning...