Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Forlorn Radiance
Thick skin:Check. Published book:?

Forlorn Radiance is on a distinguished road
Breaking up scenes

I don't know if there is a formal "right way" to do this, but I figure I'd ask better minds. In a lot of the books I read, if the scene changes, but the POV stays the same, they use a line break:

person doing something

*line break*
person does something else 20 minutes later

If the scene and the POV changes, they use an astrix/border:

person does something

another person does something else

My question is this: what if the change of scene is a flashback from years past? Does that count as a simple line break, or is that enough of a gap in the story to use a border? Ie:

Something happens to someone

line break OR ***

flashback

line break OR ***

Continue with previous scene.

Sorry if this sounds or looks a little awkward for a post, but I've been up for 96 hrs, gotta love my job.

Last edited by Forlorn Radiance; 04-30-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: forum didnt recognize my line breaks, so i inserted *line break* instead.
Forlorn Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No idea what you mean by a border.

A line break -usually indicated by a single centred # - simply alerts the reader to an impending change.

Whether that be a change of POV or scene or location or timespan or whatever is entirely up to you. Start a fresh chapter if you prefer - the choice is yours alone.

Last edited by Bufty; 04-30-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Forlorn Radiance

By line break, I'm referring to a skipped line separating the two blocks of space without any characters in between.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Bufty

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What are you on about?

Open any novel and flip through until you see two paragraphs separated by a wider space than normal - that is called a line break and may either be a completely blank space or contain a centred # or a * or any other symbol depending upon what means the particular publisher chooses to use to indicate a line break.

The paragraph after the line break will also not be indented.

Any help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlorn Radiance View Post
By line break, I'm referring to a skipped line separating the two blocks of space without any characters in between.

Last edited by Bufty; 04-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Bufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Forlorn Radiance

Maybe I've been reading too much of one author (Tad Williams) as of late. I've also seen it done a few other places where they split text with both blank lines or with *** depending on what is being separated. Perhaps I am confusing a select few author's preference as common place.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Bufty

The symbol used, if, any - whatever it is - to indicate a line break doesn't indicate anything other than that a change of something happens.

Choose what you want to indicate a line-break - say a single centred # - and be consistent.

What is written after the line break should allow the reader to realise why the line break was used - be it a passage of time or change of location or POV or whatever.

Problem solved?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Forlorn Radiance

Si, muchos gracias!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It absolutely doesn't matter what you do, until it comes time to format the manuscript for submission. Then you need to indicate any scene break with a single hash mark, centered.

When it comes time to print the book, the publisher will have its own preferred house style for how such breaks are handled.