Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking > AW Blog Reviews
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Slamhamster
figuring it all out

Location: The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No, I've never worked 'darnt pit' or had a Kestrel.
Slamhamster is on a distinguished road
Blog Review Request

Greetings Bloggers, your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves visiting my first ever blog site. Any feedback regarding the layout, legibility and (gulp) content would be greatly appreciated. This post will self destruct in five seconds*.

* not really.

BTW I'm english, so we spell stuff like 'honor' properly with the U in it

Last edited by Slamhamster; 04-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Slamhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Seems okay to me. I would suggest a bland but informative subtitle like 'this is where I review stuff' and expanding the About tab to explain what stuff you review and whether/how to send you stuff to review.

You format is a tad wide for my screen, but my screen has pretty archaic dimensions--so possibly not a problem.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Slamhamster
figuring it all out

Location: The sunny climes of Barnsley, South Yorkshire. No, I've never worked 'darnt pit' or had a Kestrel.
Thanks veinglory. I've taken onboard you input and expanded the About section and also added a bit about review requests
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Ginosion
practical experience, FTW

Ginosion is on a distinguished road
I actually like the articles a lot. You tread on a lot of subject matter I'm interested in. I would say just liven your template a bit. It's just a little plain. Maybe a background image or banner.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
The Illusionist
practical experience, FTW

The Illusionist is on a distinguished road
Like Ginosion said I would also suggest a little sprucing up the layout.

Also, I didnīt see the "a blog about SF&F and other stuff two" tagline above your title until I was looking for one. Maybe make it bigger/put it beneath your title?

The last thing I noticed was that your Mass Effect 3 post was quite long, especially compared to your other posts. Readers can be put off by this and stop reading halfway so maybe in the future break up posts like that into two separate ones?

Hope that helped!

Portable Magic - A blog about the wonderful world of words.

Twitter - Mostly all about anything book/publishing/writing/editing related.
The Illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
Slamhamster
figuring it all out

Thanks for taking time to check it out

I'm thinking of getting the wordpress CSS upgrade, the customisation options are a bit limited on the generic templates and I can't quite tweak the layout through the dashboard without getting under the hood, so to speak.

I like the overall theme and have been working on a header image, but anything I drop in the header ends up padded out with empty margins and it just looks plain wrong.

I'll bear in mind the article length for future posts, I guess I went off on one when I was putting together the Mass Effect 3 post!