Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > Flash Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Flash Fortnight - the Flash Fiction forum challenge!

The Flash Fortnight - the Flash Fiction forum challenge!

Find yourself slacking? Procrastination winning out over motivation? Then this is the challenge for you!

Every month, we will be holding a writing challenge in the Flash Fiction forum. It is open to everyone.

The aim of this challenge is to help you get into the habit of writing stories regularly: stories that can then be polished and submitted for publication while the challenge is not running.

This is how it will work.

The challenge will run for one fortnight (14 consecutive days) each month. Each morning during the challenge, I'll post a prompt to help you spark some ideas. This will either be a generic prompt or one that is tailored to an upcoming themed issue of a specified flash fiction market. You don't have to use the prompt; it will just be there in case you need or want one.

What you do: Take the prompt (or not), and write a flash fiction story (of up to 1000 words) each day.

At the end of the 14 days, you will have a bunch of stories in front of you. Not all of them will necessarily be worth polishing and submitting - but some will be. Pick whichever ones you think hold the most promise, spend some time polishing them - and then send them out.

You can use the challenge as you like. You might want to take the opportunity some days to stretch yourself with a new style or genre, or just write something highly silly for fun. Or you could focus on one target market, and write several stories that would fit its submission guidelines.

When you've polished your stories, you can post them in the Polished and Ready sub-forum, if you wish, for critique.

If you don't manage to get a story draft written every day, don't worry about it. Start again the next day - which could turn out to be the best day ever. You can do it!

Links to the challenge threads and prompts:

Last edited by jvc; 09-14-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Updating challenge links.
Sophia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This sounds like quite a challenge... but also tons of fun.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Sagana
practical experience, FTW

Sagana is a shiny, shiny jewelSagana is a shiny, shiny jewel
Oh I'm anxious to try this. But not until June? Don'tcha wanna start early? There's still more than 14 days left of May. heh
Old 05-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did originally want to start in May, but because I missed the first of the month, I thought I'd push the start back. But you're right - there's no reason not to start mid-month! So if people are ready, I'll get the prompts sorted out, and make an announcement that the challenge will start on the 15th.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #5
Sagana

Sagana is a shiny, shiny jewelSagana is a shiny, shiny jewel
That would suit me dandy and thank you for considering it I don't, of course, know about other peoples.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Yay! That sounds great.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hmm.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm keen, too. Might not be able to write stories every day of the fourteen, but there can never be too many prompts!
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
[camps in the forum, ready for June]
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
1) Write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Lapinou

Lapinou has a spectacular aura
Ooh, I'm excited about this!
Lapinou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
bmadsen
I hate mayo

bmadsen is on a distinguished road
It sounds so cool, but I'm lost, how do we know who won???

My rusty ol' website is here

Black Elephant, White Monkey (9th revision, 83k)

Untitled literary (draft, 66k so far)

Other projects resting at the bottom of the pile:

Project Archangel
Project Archangel - Phantom Storm
Grand City
bmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Sophia
AW Moderator

Hi bmadsen!

The challenge isn't a contest, so there's no winner as such. If you end up writing more stories than you would normally write, then that would count as a win for yourself.

We have a couple of people this month who are on target to write 14 stories - that's certainly something to celebrate.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
bmadsen
I hate mayo

Oh, isn't that something. That sounds cool. I'm up for that, sometimes I need that kick to get things started.

Project Archangel
Grand City
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
Jill Karg
So many WIPs which one to work on

Jill Karg is a glorious beacon of lightJill Karg is a glorious beacon of light
Last day in May...everyone geared up for June? Here is hoping for success for everyone...keep writing.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
bmadsen
I hate mayo

geared up and ready to go......but I'm going to do a little personal twist. A friend of mine's got reader's block. Every story I write, she reads.

Project Archangel
Grand City
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #16
bmadsen
I hate mayo

BTW, Jill Karg, that is a cool sig.

Project Archangel
Grand City
Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
Sophia
AW Moderator

Jill Karg and bmadsen - the next challenge will begin on June 15th. If you'd like to work on stories in the meantime, you might like to take a look at the thread for the May challenge. The prompts that were used for each day are available there, and you're welcome to use any of them.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
bmadsen
I hate mayo

Sounds fair, i'll use those as a guide! thanks!

Project Archangel
Grand City
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #19
Sophia
AW Moderator

Hi everyone,

The Flash Fortnight is going to take a little break during November and December (for NaNoWriMo and holidays, respectively), but it will return in January. I hope you've enjoyed the challenges this year, and that the break will leave you refreshed and ready to participate anew in 2012.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #20
Lillie
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Thanks, Sophia. This challenge has been great for me. I've got loads of stories, sketches and ideas from it.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #21
JenniferB
figuring it all out

JenniferB is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Sophia. Though I haven't completed a FFF challenge yet, I have enjoyed the prompts and will try anew in January!

I blog at The Writing Cocoon.
Find me at NaNoWriMo 2011.
Google+

JenniferB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
Trying2Write
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Trying2Write is on a distinguished road
As a new member and new writer this is exciting! I just finished my first short story today and am invigorated to keep going and create more.
Trying2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
Sophia
AW Moderator

That's great, Trying2Write! Welcome, and best of luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #24
r.booker
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

r.booker is on a distinguished road
flash fiction

hello I'm having a lot of fun with this-will be waiting to see what happens next!
r.booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #25
Toimu
Hallo!

Toimu is on a distinguished road
I've been gone for about 1.5 years and was really happy when I saw this thread today. But it seems like this stops this time of the year. Maybe it could be a weekly thing instead of a daily one?