Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
RJLeahy
Banned

RJLeahy has a spectacular aura
When to prod?

Sent query with first ten pages to agent I'm very interested in working with. Received quick, complimentary request for full. Waited a month and queried as to whether the manuscript had been received. Quick and pleasant response that yes, MS received but he had been overwhelmed with work and he would get to it in the next two weeks. That was two months ago. Continue to wait, prod, or just assume he's not interested?
RJLeahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
Hi RJ,

I'd continue to wait. Prod again at the three month mark (after your last prod). Continue to send out queries. I've waited 9 months to a year on an answer to full requests. (And some I've never heard back from).

Check query tracker to see if you can find out what the normal wait time on a full is.

Good luck! Hope you hear soon! -- Jamie
http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Curre...fting+currents
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
zegota
Fantastic!

zegota has a spectacular aura
Does he have an exclusive look at this full, or are you querying other agents?

Check out my Website/blog for essays, reviews and original fiction! Also Twitter, Facebook and Google+.

We Are Not The Favored Children - Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, Dark Moon Books (Antho nominated for a 2012 Stoker!)

The Boy and the Nymph - Timeless, Cool Well Press.
zegota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
RJLeahy
Banned

RJLeahy has a spectacular aura
Zegota,

Not exclusive
RJLeahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
zegota
Fantastic!

zegota has a spectacular aura
In that case, I'd definitely wait another month or two, if you decide to prod at all. After that time, if you haven't had any other bites and this is an agent you're REALLY interested in, you could consider sending a "what's up?"

Check out my Website/blog for essays, reviews and original fiction! Also Twitter, Facebook and Google+.

We Are Not The Favored Children - Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations, Dark Moon Books (Antho nominated for a 2012 Stoker!)

The Boy and the Nymph - Timeless, Cool Well Press.
zegota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
cjcurrie
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

cjcurrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zegota View Post
In that case, I'd definitely wait another month or two, if you decide to prod at all. After that time, if you haven't had any other bites and this is an agent you're REALLY interested in, you could consider sending a "what's up?"
From what I've heard, Zegota's got it right.
cjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
BethKLewis
not sure...

BethKLewis is on a distinguished road
If an agent gives a specific time frame such as 'I'll get back to you in three weeks', how long after the three weeks should you wait to prod them?
WIP3 - 93k of 90k - First Draft Done!
BethKLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with waiting 3 months, RJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethKLewis View Post
If an agent gives a specific time frame such as 'I'll get back to you in three weeks', how long after the three weeks should you wait to prod them?
Is it your agent, or an agent you're querying? If it were my agent, I'd give him an extra couple of weeks before a nudge. If it were an agent I was querying, it would depend on whether s/he had a full or partial. If it's a full, I'd wait, IDK, another month or so? And reply in the same email.

The truth is that agents are incredibly busy, and despite their best efforts, it seems to be rare that they meet the specific timeframe they set out. Be patient. (Easier said, right?)
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
HoneyBadger
Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies

HoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputationHoneyBadger has a golden reputation
QueryTracker has stats for rough turn-around times on both queries and submissions.

Warning: if you're at all obsessive, it might not be a good idea, as it's really easy to check the Data Explorer for your agents a trillion zillion times a day.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
I... have the Data Explorer open right now.

So yeah, what HoneyBadger said. (I think the Data Explorer may be premium-only though, so as long as you guard your credit card, you're fine.)

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
J.Reid
Sardonicus Rex

J.Reid is a glorious beacon of lightJ.Reid is a glorious beacon of light
Keep querying. Prod politely. Blocks of time to read manuscripts are harder and harder to find.
J.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Reid View Post
Keep querying. Prod politely. Blocks of time to read manuscripts are harder and harder to find.
So I'm noticing. Even queries seem to be taking abnormally long right now. Is it just that it's convention/expo season or are agents generally busier than before?
Drachen Jager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
rac
figuring it all out

rac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
So I'm noticing. Even queries seem to be taking abnormally long right now. Is it just that it's convention/expo season or are agents generally busier than before?
From what I've read, agents are overwhelmed with submissions. Some agents get up to 500 submissions a week. It's daunting when you think about it (I try not to think about it!). Also, some agents have assistants who screen the queries. If an assistant doesn't like a query, he or she will send a form rejection instead of passing it on to the agent.
rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's been true for a while now, rac. I think Drachen was referring to Ms. Reid's post on blocks of time being harder to find now than before.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #15
Drachen Jager

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah. I don't think there's a sudden flood of queries over the past two months, but responses have gone from a reasonable flow, to a trickle, to a desert.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac View Post
... some agents have assistants who screen the queries. If an assistant doesn't like a query, he or she will send a form rejection instead of passing it on to the agent.
Agents' assistants don't reject work simply because they don't like it. They are very carefully briefed before they're let loose on the slush pile and only reject the submissions they can be absolutely certain that the agents won't want to look at: submissions in genres the agents don't represent, for example, or work that's really badly written.

I know I'm being nitpicky yet again: but lately I've been seeing more claims than usual that it's unfair to writers to let unqualified assistants and interns sort through the slush pile because they won't know what they're doing, which isn't accurate, isn't fair on the interns and assistants, and misleads writers.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can only echo Old Hack. My agent's assitant was a dream. Whenever she recommended something I had written, he read it immediately. Unfortunately, she left for California and some other kind of work (this is the second time I've been left in the lurch this way!) There's a new assistant, but I have no idea what she's like, what she reads, how she works; our communication has been very formal up to now. I really miss the first one!

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi

Last edited by aruna; 08-11-2012 at 10:07 AM.
aruna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Miss Plum
Sockpuppet

Miss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to beholdMiss Plum is a splendid one to behold
All I have to say is this: I hate the letters A S A P.

I want to start a whole thread on how much I hate those letters, but I'll settle for this little post.
Miss Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
popmuze
Last of a Dying Breed

popmuze is a glorious beacon of lightpopmuze is a glorious beacon of lightpopmuze is a glorious beacon of light
In the last six weeks I've sent out 33 queries and 7 status update requests, and only heard back on 7=3 requests for pages, 4 rejections. Used to be I'd get responses the same day, now I'm lucky to get one a week. The really chilling thing is not hearing anything on a requested full, even after you politely prod a few times.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
Drachen Jager

It's all quiet on my end too Popmuze. Not quite as quiet as you, but very close. The past two weeks in particular have been dead.

I sent out a few queries today and yesterday and got a couple of 'out of office' responses. One said they were at a writer's festival, so hopefully there's a gap in that sort of thing next week so all the agents can get back to us.

I have a couple of fulls that are past their 'best before' dates as well.