Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #12576
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
By this logic, Michael Bay must have a nurse constantly attending to the IV full of Jack Daniels he has surgically implanted to his wrist.
That's just brilliant! I don't know why I never made that connection before. It would explain so, so much, wouldn't it?

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #12577
Gilroy Cullen
But not Gilderoy Lockhart!

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
It's good to be single.
That sounds ominous...

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #12578
Gilroy Cullen
But not Gilderoy Lockhart!

Gilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGilroy Cullen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
By this logic, Michael Bay must have a nurse constantly attending to the IV full of Jack Daniels he has surgically implanted to his wrist.
I'm thinking it'd be all three "wise men" in his IV, rather than just Jack...

Braving SYW:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=279131
A writer's journey is like life - no two are entirely alike.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #12579
slcboston
word-slinger

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
he doesnt know why he cant hold onto a relationship. Yadda yadda.
Because he's a needy, clingy git?

you are definitely well-shut of this guy, Fen.

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #12580
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just spent over a hundred dollars on books. I should be ashamed....

BUT I'M NOT!!!!!!

Fortuna - my Space Pirates! audio drama

This is my pen name on Facebook. And this is my pen name on Twitter.

Blog Post for 7/21/14: Errand Part 2

Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #12581
slcboston
word-slinger

Why on earth should you be ashamed over buying books, JC?

Ever??

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #12582
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Because he's a needy, clingy git?

you are definitely well-shut of this guy, Fen.
Oh yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenecs View Post

BUT I'M NOT!!!!!!

Woo hoo. Now you just need time to read them all.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #12583
AceTachyon
Odd person

AceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAceTachyon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good morning Cantina Denizens.

Spent part of the afternoon yesterday at the local Barnes and Noble and am now wondering if I should be cooking up a UF story, a multi-book fantasy epic, or continuing with the tales of Kat and Mouse.

Or this idea for a Bay City cyborg SWAT team.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #12584
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

jallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjallenecs is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
Why on earth should you be ashamed over buying books, JC?

Ever??

That's a lot of money to lay out on books, particularly all at one go.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #12585
tjwriter
Dancing in the Dark

tjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstjwriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So, brace yourselves.

The friend person who set me up with the guy who is now in my past got:
-4 phone calls yesterday. She ignored them and doesnt have VM. She previously told the guy her cell was for emergencies only.
-1 longgg email at work (not pro, dude). Friend did not give me any details aside from long, sad, and to painful to mention actual details.
-soon after the email was fired off, he calls Friend at work. Long sad phone convo ensues. He says he thought things were working out, blah blah, and he doesnt know why he cant hold onto a relationship. Yadda yadda.

Yeahhhh.

Dire.
Has anyone told this poor idiot what he's doing wrong, per chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTachyon View Post
Good morning Cantina Denizens.

Spent part of the afternoon yesterday at the local Barnes and Noble and am now wondering if I should be cooking up a UF story, a multi-book fantasy epic, or continuing with the tales of Kat and Mouse.

I like this last one. Sounds exciting.

As the Cantina Turns

WIPs:
Dark Horse
The Misadventure of Abigail Quinn
Abigail Quinn #2
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #12586
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
So, I have a coworker who is about three months pregnant. Every morning she peppers me with questions about pregnancy, babies, doctors, etc. This is weird as I do not have kids, but somehow she's decided I'm an expert. Maybe because I read a lot.

Her questions are always ones that are obvious to me or would be easily found if she'd read the copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting that I gave her.

Today's, however, takes the cake in REALLY?! questions...

Her: "So, if the doctor tells me I can take my allergy medicine, can I take it?"
Me: "Wait. Repeat that."
Her: "My allergies are bad today. I called my doctor and she said I can take my medicine for it. So, do you think I can take it?"
Me: "Of course. Your doctor told you it's safe."
Her: "Oh, okay."

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #12587
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I liked this also. Yay for the cyborg SWAT team.
Quote:

BUT I'M NOT!!!!!!

Quote:
That's a lot of money to lay out on books, particularly all at one go.
Wait, have you gone into guilt mode now? Repeat after me "It's an investment. It's an investment."

Quote:
Yeahhhh.

Dire.
Uber dire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
Today's, however, takes the cake in REALLY?! questions...
More dire.

ION, people in supermarkets.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #12588
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
TJ, I think hes beyond help. He's older than I am too.

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #12589
Andelana
Secret Stick-Figure Superhero

Andelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolnessAndelana leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
I vote this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwriter View Post
Has anyone told this poor idiot what he's doing wrong, per chance?
I did wonder that... But then it's that confrontation thing, isn't it. People don't like feeling like they're being mean to people. Boo. Then again, I've tried it and darned if he didn't take it as 'I really fancy you. Let's change you to suit me better.' Denser than an igneous rock...

Also, yay for lots of book-buying! I'm not allowed any more for several months, though, I've decided. Not just because I'm broke, either! I looked this past week and I have about 25 physical books to read. That doesn't count the audios or the ebooks, either. I usually manage to keep fairly on top of things in the TBR pile department!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #12590
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Speaking of babies....

Isn't Kricket supposed to be induced today if bitty Kricket hasn't shown?

Coming August 19th: Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #12591
aliwood

aliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaliwood is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
I usually manage to keep fairly on top of things in the TBR pile department!
If you're like me then there are times when you wonder if perhaps Tenzing and Hillary didn't practise for Everest up a TBR pile.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #12592
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
KITTY: "Hi! I'm Kitty, this is Helen and Alex, and we're going to be your bloodthirsty pirates for the day!

HELEN: Not bloodthirsty.

KITTY: What?

HELEN: We're not bloodthirsty

KITTY: Why not? “Hi, I'm Kitty and I'm going to be your polite and considerate pirate for the day” doesn't have the same ring to it.

HELEN: Humor me.

KITTY: Fine! Listen up! Policy change! We're no longer bloodthirsty pirates. We're enlightened pirates who are concerned about the environment and the rights of our fellow man. In the interest of not inflicting too much stress on you, the designated victims, we ask that you please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times, give us everything we ask for, and no one will get hurt."
Thoughts? Too silly?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #12593
CobraMisfit
That kid is BACK on the escalator!

CobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCobraMisfit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Test complete.

And that's the sound of my brain dumping all requisit knowledge.

To the Wine-Cave, Robin!

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Undead Chaos

Website, Chirps, Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #12594
aliwood

Quote:
Thoughts? Too silly?
Are you just dealing with humans? As then you might want to change it to 'fellow beings'. Too silly? I honestly don't think that there's such a thing as too silly. Oh, and if Kitty is female, would she say 'fellow man' or is that part of the joke?

Health and safety concious pirates is just what literature needs right now, so write on please.

My Art Shop

My Art Blog
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #12595
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMueller View Post
This is weird as I do not have kids, but somehow she's decided I'm an expert. Maybe because I read a lot.
She's not looking for an expert. She's looking for a replacement brain probably - just my opinion - because her's isn't up to par.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
Speaking of babies....

Isn't Kricket supposed to be induced today if bitty Kricket hasn't shown?
I think so. God, what a way to start a Monday. *shudders* But I'm sure it'll be fine for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
Test complete.

And that's the sound of my brain dumping all requisit knowledge.

To the Wine-Cave, Robin!
Huzzah! Now that's how you start a Monday!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #12596
slcboston
word-slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelana View Post
People don't like feeling like they're being mean to people.
They.... don't? Even when they deserve it??

*wonders what's wrong with me*

... which is rhetorical, and does not require answering.

FleasTwits
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #12597
Shoeless

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Before I go and start formally asking on the Beta forum, are there any people here that do contemporary/urban fantasy-ish beta reads? I think I've got my first draft about as ready as it's going to get and I'm going to be dropping the first chapter off in SYW soon for people to take a gander at it. Although I should say it's probably closer to Clive Barker/Neil Gaiman than it is to Jim Butcher/Laurell K. Hamilton.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #12598
jallenecs
Searching for Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
Are you just dealing with humans? As then you might want to change it to 'fellow beings'. Too silly? I honestly don't think that there's such a thing as too silly. Oh, and if Kitty is female, would she say 'fellow man' or is that part of the joke?

Health and safety conscious pirates is just what literature needs right now, so write on please.
Only humans in the story. Designing an alien makes me tired just to think about. I don't want to work that hard on what is essentially a pretty silly story.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #12599
Midian
My sarcasm got the better of me.

Midian has a spectacular auraMidian has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Before I go and start formally asking on the Beta forum, are there any people here that do contemporary/urban fantasy-ish beta reads? I think I've got my first draft about as ready as it's going to get and I'm going to be dropping the first chapter off in SYW soon for people to take a gander at it. Although I should say it's probably closer to Clive Barker/Neil Gaiman than it is to Jim Butcher/Laurell K. Hamilton.
Jim Butcher and Laurell K. Hamilton are nothing alike. Neither are Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman...
I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #12600
Shoeless

Shoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of lightShoeless is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midian View Post
Jim Butcher and Laurell K. Hamilton are nothing alike. Neither are Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman...
I meant more in terms of chronological feel. Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman belong to an older school of fantasy writing that had elements of horror in it and were more focused on how weird and messed up the world was, usually in 3rd person. Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher are more fast paced, action-y, first person stories that also focus somewhat on investigative methodology.
Closed Thread