Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #1051
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
kaitie, thanks so much for sharing your story. It gives me a glimmer of hope on that agent. Today I'm having my 20th wedding anniversary and feel great. I'll be published someday.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #1052
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy anniversary!

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #1053
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
kaitie, thanks so much for sharing your story. It gives me a glimmer of hope on that agent. Today I'm having my 20th wedding anniversary and feel great. I'll be published someday.
Happy, happy! That's wonderful. What are you doing to celebrate?
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #1054
wonderactivist

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
Red face

Thanks for all your kind wishes.

Quote:
What are you doing to celebrate?
We cancelled our trip to Bricktown last weekend due to the storms. Today we shared Mexican food, wine, and an email from Jennifer Jackson? (not the same agent I had been corresponding with)

I had never heard back on an old-fashioned, paper submission to her so I emailed her last week or so. She says my email and one other alerted them to some mislaid paper submissions. So now each of us gets a personal reply from Ms Jackson, by mail because the original #lettermo challenge was about the art of old-fashioned letter-writing. How classy of her!

What a great anniversary/birthday present (my b-day was last Friday). I look forward to any feedback from such a successful agent. You can be certain I'll be checking the mailbox about every hour! How long has it been since I was watching for something pleasant in the US Mail?

Luck of the lost pile?

Lucie

Last edited by wonderactivist; 04-20-2012 at 05:32 AM.
wonderactivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #1055
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oo, nice!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #1056
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My anniversary is this month too. 28th or 29th. I never remember.

HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #1057
wonderactivist

History, you need to send out some queries in time to hear back on your anniversary.

Lucie
still checking the mail, hourly
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1058
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
History, you need to send out some queries in time to hear back on your anniversary.

Lucie
still checking the mail, hourly
Ooooh, I have queries out and my Anniversary is on the 22nd. *Waits impatiently for email to arrive.*
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #1059
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You know, I have to admit that the one element of being on submission that I don't like is not getting requests anymore. I mean, when you're sending queries the rejections suck, but those requests feel so good! It's like little confirmations that your writing is good, snippets of hope that can just improve an entire day (or hell, an entire week depending on the person).

While I like not having to worry about putting everything together or checking my email five times a day or being nervous about opening that little (1) or getting five form rejections on the same day, I miss the pick-me-up confirmations of quality. I feel like there should be something similar for authors on submission. A once a month email saying, "Your book is awesome!"

That's silly, I know.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #1060
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

It's not silly. It's totally true. All that validation dries up when you're not getting those requests.

We should totally make up our own Writer Validation Service that sends out periodic emails saying "Your writing is awesome! Name of Main Character is nuanced and multi-layered! There is plenty of action, but also plenty of emotion! Go you!"
Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #1061
kaitie

Can it come with cake?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #1062
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Honestly, I'm kind of offended you think it wouldn't.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #1063
kaitie

Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #1064
wonderactivist

Dear kaitie,

Your writing is awesome! Name of Main Character is nuanced and multi-layered! There is plenty of action, but also plenty of emotion! Go you!"

With highest regard,

M/T/S Book Validation Service
CC: heyjude (cause I shamelessly snitched that from you)

Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #1065
kaitie

Haha. Thanks guys. That totally made me smile.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1066
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

You forgot the cake!
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #1067
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Anyone else need validation today?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #1068
muse

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
It's not silly. It's totally true. All that validation dries up when you're not getting those requests.

We should totally make up our own Writer Validation Service that sends out periodic emails saying "Your writing is awesome! Name of Main Character is nuanced and multi-layered! There is plenty of action, but also plenty of emotion! Go you!"
I love it! (Especially as it comes with cake.)

Quote:
Anyone else need validation today?
Go on, validate me.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #1069
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Dear Author muse,

Your writing is outstanding superb and sometimes vicious. We like vicious. Not enough to publish it, but certainly to read. Please let us know when you get published so we can read it again.

Our favorite part was that guy with the thing when he said that thing about the other thing. Brilliantly done!

Regretfully,

The MTS Validation People

Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #1070
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
I want to read a book now where the main character actually is called Main Character.

Wouldn't mind some validation myself, if only to stop me tearing up this damned first chapter again. Grrr. And cake. Wish I had cake.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 AM   #1071
wonderactivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Wouldn't mind some validation myself, if only to stop me tearing up this damned first chapter again. Grrr. And cake. Wish I had cake.
Dearest Author, I mean, Zelenka,

You are a great writer with inspired settings and stirring prose, but your main character's name is too authentic. We suggest something more generic, like Protagonist, "Tag" for short. And of course, we can't publish it on the basis of Chapter One. You actually have to finish the darn book.

To help with that, we though we would send along our drug of choice, .

With highest regard,

The M/T/S Validation Service
Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #1072
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Tag.

::steals idea::
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #1073
muse

Quote:
Dear Author muse,

Your writing is outstanding superb and sometimes vicious. We like vicious. Not enough to publish it, but certainly to read. Please let us know when you get published so we can read it again.

Our favorite part was that guy with the thing when he said that thing about the other thing. Brilliantly done!

Regretfully,

The MTS Validation People

I love it, HJ! Makes me feel all warm and special.

Nice to start the week with a smile.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #1074
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Tag.

::steals idea::
Quite inspired. I want someone to use it!

Namatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #1075
wonderactivist

I got the R from JJ today, but it's filled with very useful feedback. I'm so grateful for it. In two paragraphs, she's told me more about why she's passing and maybe how to fix the problem than either of my last two fulls. Overall, I'd call this a positive.