Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #5326
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New QotW

As the major holidays are (to the best of my knowledge) now over for a few months,

What's the next holiday you're looking forward to?

Mine's the 4th of July (Independence Day here in America for you folk who may not know). There's a big parade, and fireworks, and it's a lot of fun. And the last holiday to look truly forward to until the end of October.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #5327
NOEL66
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

NOEL66 is on a distinguished road
Ummm, the next big holiday I'm looking forward to? Any, since I haven't had one in a long time. All work and all work, and all work, oh what the Haides, it's exhausting!
NOEL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #5328
SaraP
Showing my love to others. <3
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does my birthday count?

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #5329
me-a-monsteR
Bites upon request

me-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsme-a-monsteR is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Author who I longed to read, but who crushed with disappointment = Anne Rice (reason: slayed me with purple prose). I know seasons change when I sneeze. Holiday to look forward to... *scans calendar* ah, the aptly named freedom day! Yay! *dashes off to do monster-sized shimmy in traffic*
me-a-monsteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #5330
Bespectacled Nerd
Mutant And Proud

Bespectacled Nerd is on a distinguished road
Next one for me is Beltane. Though, when the question was asked, it was partway through Passover, so if I'm cheating, that could also count.

"From here to the eyes and ears of the Verse, that's my motto. Or it might be if I started having a motto." (Mr. Universe, Serenity)
Bespectacled Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5331
Trying2Write

Trying2Write is on a distinguished road
I feel like there would be more things I would enjoy seeing under the ocean, but I would feel a bit claustrophobic and would probably end up choosing space travel for that reason. Also, I might find a wormhole and time travel =) (of course having taken only Physics 101 in college I have no idea what this entails)
Trying2Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #5332
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New QotW

Sorry about the delay, but last week was tax time here.

Anyway, this QotW was prompted by my little one:

If you could learn to play any instrument, which one would it be?

Don't worry about cost or anything, just indulge. (My little one's first instrument of choice was the harp, for example.)

As for me, always wanted to learn the violin.

FleasTwits
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #5333
zanzjan
has the hiccups
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
If you could learn to play any instrument, which one would it be?
One of those gigantic, cathedral-sized pipe organs would be huge amounts of fun, I think. If not that, the double bass. If not that, the tuba. Did I mention already elsewhere that I am hopelessly drawn to the impractical?

I might take up the mandolin, if I ever scare up any free time.

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #5334
MittensMorgul
Writing the Bad Things out

MittensMorgul is on a distinguished road
I already play the violin, and about half a dozen other instruments (including lap harp), so maybe I'd pick one I don't already know. Let's go with Bassoon. I don't play a double reed instrument, and I love the sound of the bassoon. As opposed to the treble-oon, I guess.
MittensMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #5335
Billtrumpet25
Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers!

Billtrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensMorgul View Post
I already play the violin, and about half a dozen other instruments (including lap harp), so maybe I'd pick one I don't already know. Let's go with Bassoon. I don't play a double reed instrument, and I love the sound of the bassoon. As opposed to the treble-oon, I guess.
Trumpet for me, but composition is really my niche.

Welcome to the site, Mittens! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Wait...I finally understood the question...I would love to learn the french horn.

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons
Billtrumpet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 AM   #5336
SaraP
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The violin.

And I should devote more time to the piano. I know enough to practice upon and improve.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #5337
Daniel.Trujillo.D

Daniel.Trujillo.D is on a distinguished road
I already know how to play the piano, and given the choice I'd much rather perfect my technique than learn another instrument. Otherwise, I'd probably go with a violin (which seems to be a popular choice), and I'd look for my own Fermina Daza (Love in The Times of Cholera) to serenade.
Daniel.Trujillo.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #5338
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I want to learn how to play the theremin properly, rather than making awful sounds with it. It's harder than it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #5339
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Inspired by my own current week off, although I can neither go anywhere nor do much of anything except catch up on the work I have to do from home:

If you had a week free of constraints, with no obligations and no concerns about cost or other practical hurdles, where would you go and what would you do?

I'd like to take a week and just hop from one city to the next, spending each day in a different place. A whirlwind tour of wherever the next the plane leaving would take me.

FleasTwits
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #5340
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
North Dakota.

Take a guess...

Quote:
Quote:
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #5341
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
North Dakota.

Take a guess...
And see, it's this lovey-dovey stuff that keeps me from following either of you on the Twittersphere.

*gags*

PS: Good to see you back, vomit-inducing stuff aside.

FleasTwits
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #5342
BigWords
Geekzilla

See, if you're really interested in the details they can be supplied...

*waits for the sheep to throw up*

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #5343
rachelmachelsmachel
rachelsmachel

rachelmachelsmachel is on a distinguished road
Space for sure! Although there are really cool things deep down in the ocean (giant squids etc) you'd never see any since it's too dark.
rachelmachelsmachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #5344
SaraP
AW Moderator

Quote:
If you had a week free of constraints, with no obligations and no concerns about cost or other practical hurdles, where would you go and what would you do?
I would like to rent out a windmill, up on the top of a hill, with no one for miles and miles around, with plenty of foods and drinks and no need to return to civilization until the week was over.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Last edited by SaraP; 05-01-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Fixing quote issues
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #5345
BigWords
Geekzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
I would like to rent out a windmill, up on the top of a hill, with no one for miles and miles around, with plenty of foods and drinks and no need to return to civilization until the week was over.
Um... Have you been in a windmill? I would pay money not to stay in one again.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #5346
zanzjan
has the hiccups
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I think I would go to Japan and try to climb Mt. Fuji.

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
zanzjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #5347
SaraP
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Um... Have you been in a windmill? I would pay money not to stay in one again.
This is a windmill that's been adapted. Here is an idea of what it's like (the website is crappy, and it's in portuguese, but you can see the pics and get an idea).

I've had one or two friends stay in one and they really enjoyed it.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #5348
BigWords
Geekzilla

God, that looks so much better than the one I stayed in. (Abby is going to be horrified at all the places I have been to, and survived)

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #5349
slcboston
Sheepless Horseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
This is a windmill that's been adapted. Here is an idea of what it's like
I admit, that looks cool. Decor in the bedroom leaves a little to be desired, though.

FleasTwits
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #5350
SaraP
AW Moderator

Well, yes. Not exactly what I would paying attention to, though.

ETA: Restoring windmills for get-away rentals is booming here. Quite neat.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths